PDA

View Full Version : Australian ski racing

Sydney Skier
03-09-2014, 01:10 AM
guys thought you might be interested to this. This is our Number 1 ski race team here in Australia.

And before you ask yes that is MPH in the speed and yes there are 2 boys 330 feet behind the boat. boat details

21foot force racing with a mercury 6 drive and a merc 1650 race engine coupled to a turbo 400 gear box with second gear removed.

Dynamite spike I thought you might recognise this river

Sit Back hook up the laptop to your surround sound and be prepared for some serious ski racing the Australian way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ5sLPcWsDY

thatsmrmastercraft
03-09-2014, 01:42 AM
Very impressive.

Gunford
03-09-2014, 03:39 AM
Insane! Who wins? The guy with the shorter rope?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Dynamite Spike
03-09-2014, 08:56 AM
guys thought you might be interested to this. This is our Number 1 ski race team here in Australia.

And before you ask yes that is MPH in the speed and yes there are 2 boys 330 feet behind the boat. boat details

21foot force racing with a mercury 6 drive and a merc 1650 race engine coupled to a turbo 400 gear box with second gear removed.

Dynamite spike I thought you might recognise this river

Sit Back hook up the laptop to your surround sound and be prepared for some serious ski racing the Australian way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ5sLPcWsDY

Looks like the Murray River to me. Is that the Southern 80?
Sydney Skier, I have friends who used to ski race. It was always surprising to see the number of ski races who have "dead" arms.
For those who haven't seen this sport, the rope has two handles...one is held behind the back. If you crash the wrong way, your rear arm can get pulled forward over you head which then pulls all the nerves, ligaments and everything else out of the shoulder. These guys/girls are tough!

CantRepeat
03-09-2014, 09:50 AM
We do the same thing here too, but we do it side by side.

http://vimeo.com/62383788

There are a lot of Australians that come over for the Annual Catalina Ski Race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRrmziH2rUw

http://vimeo.com/70867592

TOO-TALL
03-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Wow!!!!

EricB
03-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Why? What is the goal?

dihrdskir
03-09-2014, 01:05 PM
It's a time trial. What you were watching was the pre race shootout to determine the seeding for the race. On river courses like this having clear water has advantages. Water ski racing is held the world over. There are open water events such as Catalina, or on lakes around a predetermined circuit then there are these river races, which in Australia are very popular. These river races are usually against the clock but the circuit races are side by side. naturally the aim is to get from start to finish in the quickest possible time. This boat is in SUPERCLASS which is basically unlimited open hull. Don't knock it till you've tried it, to see it as a spectacle, to feel and hear it is amazing. Legend has it that these skiers have trouble walking. Not from injury but because of the custom wetsuits. It is said they are custom made to accommodate their ba**s which are said to be the size of watermelons. :D

mikeg205
03-09-2014, 01:13 PM
interesting sport -sometime see people training on the Illinois.

Indyxc
03-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Why? What is the goal?

Looks cool, but I don't think I've ever seen something on the surface pointless ? I'm sure if I saw it in person, or understood really whats going on, it'd be more interesting.

Seems to me if I put my rollerblades on and had someone pull me at 125 mph on the interstate behind a car, it'd be about the same thing. lol. :D

MC25
03-09-2014, 01:29 PM
The point is to win! Whats the point of nascar? To win!!! Lol.

lentiman
03-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Left turn, left turn, left turn, left turn...

Sydney Skier
03-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Looks like the Murray River to me. Is that the Southern 80?
Sydney Skier, I have friends who used to ski race. It was always surprising to see the number of ski races who have "dead" arms.
For those who haven't seen this sport, the rope has two handles...one is held behind the back. If you crash the wrong way, your rear arm can get pulled forward over you head which then pulls all the nerves, ligaments and everything else out of the shoulder. These guys/girls are tough!

Spike correct murray river but the 80 was the first weekend in feb. this is qualifying from the robinvale 80

Mark Crannys helrazor. With Jason Walmsley and Peter Proctor skiing

Sydney Skier
03-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Looks cool, but I don't think I've ever seen something on the surface pointless ? I'm sure if I saw it in person, or understood really whats going on, it'd be more interesting.

Seems to me if I put my rollerblades on and had someone pull me at 125 mph on the interstate behind a car, it'd be about the same thing. lol. :D

Id like to see you try and hang on at 90mph let alone 138 mph.

Yep a few of my mates i ski with over here have been to the catalina race. they loved the size of the boats and the horsepoaer but reckon it was a very different feeling to going round some of the tight bends a 90mph on an Australian river course.

Theres no real point to clip. Its more orf an interest, Spikes right. A good friend of mine got hosed in a turn came off her ski and now has a dead arm. Still races though only in the disabled class and with a speical harness.

If youve never been into going fast you wont understand what is going on. If youve never heard a turbo boat with an open engine hatch go past you 125 mph you wont understand. Do yourselves a favour and go and see a good ski race event. If you think nascar is expensive go and have a look at the rigs some of the ski race guys have. On average each of the SUPERCLASS teams here have 3 boats.

1 training boat 21 hull with a 300 hp Mercury or Evinrude worth roughly ($120,000 AUD)
1 river race boat 21 foot Hull twin turbo charged v8, 6 drive leg and all the good gear in the boat (roughly $350,000 AUD) +
Another boat same as above set up for the worlds/ ocean racing with a slightly different internal ballast setup ( $380,000 AUD)

And I forgot to mention they spend upwards of a million a year in maintenance alone. without any other running costs. Very little sponsorship and virtually no prize money. It all comes from there own pockets.

Just thought it might excite some peoples in speed demon that was all.........

CantRepeat
03-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Spike correct murray river but the 80 was the first weekend in feb. this is qualifying from the robinvale 80

Mark Crannys helrazor. With Jason Walmsley and Peter Proctor skiing

That guy is always in contention for a win at Catalina.

Sydney Skier
03-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Left turn, left turn, left turn, left turn...

Is that why Marcus Ambrose beats you guys at street circuits.........Because he understands that the steering wheel can also be turned Right ????:D:D:D:D

schill
03-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Sydney skier,
that was awesome. was that a record run?

Sydney Skier
03-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Yep peter is blisteringly quick jasons just as quick.

nah that was just qualifying run they tend to up the anti in the race. Theyre going that quick these days that some of the teams have their own helicopter chasing them incase a skier has a fall they have a medical team and the a doctor on hand straight away.

The worst fall I heard of that lived was a young 17 year old up and coming skier had a fall at 115 mph head butted the front of the ski and now has no feeling at all in his face. he was smashed up pretty bad.

Sydney Skier
03-09-2014, 10:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RcLo3LbV5c

Spike this ones for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vkx4Z0xWJc