PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Skier - in the “UGH” moment.

214skier
03-08-2014, 01:58 PM
March in the Northwest is the toughest time of year (especially this). I find March harder to sit through than November (because I can smell the boat exhaust and imagine the bubbling rumble of my engine). This year seems particularly tough given our weather ----we have had nearly 4” of rain this month (in excess of yearly average), snow and I am at least another 4 weeks from de-winterizing my boat. I am sure I preach to a wide choir of NORTHERN passionate MC water sports fanatics. Last year we de-winterized on April 7th and skied in 45’ water on the 12th. We shall see if we can at least MATCH those dates.

Yes, Spring / Summer is coming. Thank you for letting me vent.

Added three photos to help me with perspective.

First two from the Ramerman family annual “first week of May” camping trip to Banks Lake.
The final, the Missus making turns on Lake Entiat, Columbia River, Chelan Falls, Wa.

Tristarboarder
03-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Cool pics! That's right in my backyard, familiar waters :) Spring can't come fast enough, I hear ya....

Rockman
03-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Very nice pics!

Yes, here is the Chicagoland area, we are all crawling the walls...had some snow last night and the weather today is warm enough causing the snow to melt but just have to keep focused...get all your non-boat related house projects done so when the weather does break, you are ready to go.

I am a summer person by all means...I will take the 100 degree temps any day...easier for me to cool down as opposed to wearing layers of clothes when going outside.

In a couple of weeks, we will all look back on this winter and say "we made it through one of the worst..."

east tx skier
03-08-2014, 03:48 PM
My boat will be going in the water next Thursday. We had what I hope was our last light freeze last Thursday. Last Monday, windchill in NE Texas was 1 F. Weird winter. Tons of rain. Lakehouse lake is well over pool and has been for months. Looking forward to a lot of R&R at the lake this year.

Rockman
03-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Doug, I know alot of lakes in Texas were bone dry last year. How is it looking for this year? You said your lake was filled up but how about others? Hope to NOT see pics like we did last summer of empty lakes down there...

mikeg205
03-08-2014, 04:24 PM
awesome pics and +1 on what Rockman says...

orbeamlb
03-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Doug, I know alot of lakes in Texas were bone dry last year. How is it looking for this year? You said your lake was filled up but how about others? Hope to NOT see pics like we did last summer of empty lakes down there...

We've had enough rain in Central Texas to raise the lakes a little bit but they are still way low. We've had some good rains over the Winter months but most of it hasn't fallen where it needs to fill the highland lakes back up. Hoping for a wet Spring.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Too bad there isn't a way to send some of the snow down there. We have more than enough here. Lakes will be full and the rivers overflowing soon.

TOO-TALL
03-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Great pics....I agree with rockman.this winter has been nuts.going to be 40ish tomorrow it will feel like 80.

lentiman
03-08-2014, 08:15 PM
We (downhill) skied at Snoqualmie in the rain today. Major suck. What's Banks like in early May? Isn't the water all freezing snow melt from Canada? This our first year with the boat so we'd like to take it out early if possible.

214skier
03-09-2014, 02:48 PM
We (downhill) skied at Snoqualmie in the rain today. Major suck. What's Banks like in early May? Isn't the water all freezing snow melt from Canada? This our first year with the boat so we'd like to take it out early if possible.

Last year we stayed at Banks the first week of May for 8 days. Air temp never below 80' during the day. The lake was cold, needing a wet suit top only, but at the end of week the water temp was fine without.

Awesome place

214skier
03-09-2014, 02:49 PM
My boat will be going in the water next Thursday. We had what I hope was our last light freeze last Thursday. Last Monday, windchill in NE Texas was 1 F. Weird winter. Tons of rain. Lakehouse lake is well over pool and has been for months. Looking forward to a lot of R&R at the lake this year.

Do you winterize?