PDA

View Full Version : 2008 X2 RTP or MCX

sseager
03-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Both boats being about equal is the MCX (along with tandem trailer) worth $1000?

MC25
03-06-2014, 01:40 PM
heres a thread with literally exactly what you're looking for!! lol

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17737

ttu
03-06-2014, 01:51 PM
hey that's my thread! lol

have over 450 hrs and no issues with the rtp. running factory ballast plus two flyhigh bags plumbed in the back and 350lbs in the bow.

scott023
03-06-2014, 01:54 PM
I think the MCX is worth a grand just on resale alone. I certainly pay more for the MCX.

Thrall
03-06-2014, 02:17 PM
MCX AND and a tandem trailer vs rtp and single axle is well worth a 1k up charge apples to apples. Just the trailer is wor 1k more.
On the water, I've been in both and once you close the engine hatch and don't see the shiny red intake and valve covers, it's hard to tell the difference.

JohnE
03-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Both boats being about equal is the MCX (along with tandem trailer) worth $1000?

Either option is well worth at least $1000 more. Plus there are many who would rule out an rtp on a single axle upon resale.

sseager
03-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the responses!! I was thinking it was well worth the extra $$.

lentiman
03-06-2014, 02:48 PM
I for one would rule out a RTP if I was still looking for an X2.

zamboniman
03-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Agree that the power difference is marginal but the MCX is desirable (although RTP probably doesn't deserve that reputation). Depending on if the boat will be long term keeper or not may influence your decision.

The tandem trailer though is a huge bonus worth the difference and then some. If your tow distance is marginal like just around town it may not matter much but know that the x2 is a HEAVY boat for a single axle and pulls every bit like it.

That said there is nothing wrong with an X2 with RPT and Single axle. I have that combo and it does fine with stock prop, piggyback ballast, and crew. Wish the trailer was better but I tow a total of a few miles a year.

If I were you equal boat/condition other than what's stated go for the lesser RPT boat but use those items as the better bargaining chips.. i.e. opportunity to get much better out the door deal for similar on water experience. However, if 1k is the best spread that can be negotiated then MCX. If I did a lot of towing the tandem would be mandatory though.

I guess it all comes down to individual needs. I plan to keep mine for a LONG time. Therefore, the engine doesn't matter to me.. and it's been solid trouble free for the 250 some hours it has. And I only pull it 1 mile twice a year and service dealer if needed is 2 miles the other way.

zamboniman
03-06-2014, 03:03 PM
I for one would rule out a RTP if I was still looking for an X2.

Why is that?

Differences are nil except for marketing influences, and the pretty intake.

When shopping I went with the RTP and was able to leverage a much better deal than otherwise because of that stigma.

That said my on water experience isn't much different than if I had sprung for the mcx.

lentiman
03-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Why is that?

Well at the time it would have been mostly ignorance. I ended up with an ilmor so it was moot but with the mcx you have more boats to choose from. I never was put in a head to head situation with two boats.

blackhawk
03-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Definitely worth an extra grand at a minimum.

swatguy
03-06-2014, 03:59 PM
I agree with all MCX and tandem easily worth 2k more IMO

However not a requirement on the X2 The RTP is plenty unless you plan on doing a lot of slaloming. You really feel the extra ummf at those ski speeds. When you try for that extra push from 28-35 mph the MCX will easily be noticed. Anything below that it's dead even almost

As for the tandem some would argue it may hurt the resale some would argue help. Lot of people going X2 are looking for garage friendly boat Moving around a single axel trailer into a tight garage is a breeze The tandem not so much. If you tow a lot the tandem is much smoother on the highway.

scott023
03-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Why is that?

Differences are nil except for marketing influences, and the pretty intake.

When shopping I went with the RTP and was able to leverage a much better deal than otherwise because of that stigma.

That said my on water experience isn't much different than if I had sprung for the mcx.

Unless you've run both for similar time frames, not sure how you can say there isn't much difference. But point doesn't change... Mcx and tandem axle trailer is more than worth the 1k.

davidstan
03-07-2014, 11:22 AM
My 210 had the RTP and my current x2 has the MCX. I was happy with both but the MCX seems to come out of the hole stronger and carries 500 more lbs. never had any issue with the RTP it was bullet proof I felt just not quite as strong.

jdl xstar
03-07-2014, 11:29 AM
One day, I would love to see thread on how two X2 owners did a side by side test with MCX and RTP to settle the differences talk once and for all!

bturner2
03-07-2014, 01:56 PM
My 210 had the RTP and my current x2 has the MCX. I was happy with both but the MCX seems to come out of the hole stronger and carries 500 more lbs. never had any issue with the RTP it was bullet proof I felt just not quite as strong.

If you're tag line is correct you're talking about two completely different boats. Hulls are not even closely related and I'm willing to bet the props were not the same either, or at least they shouldn't have been.

My dealer (AWS) says they prefer the RTP over the MCX in the X2s. They said it was because of the way that particular boat is used (typically not at high RPM where the MCX starts to shine). The HP ratings, the dyno sheets and most honest dealers will tell you there just isn't that much difference between the two motors especially in that boat being used for what it's intended design is. Everything about the motors is identical with the exception of the intake, fuel injection and ECM mapping. The rotating assembly and heads are the same part numbers.

All that being said and getting back on the original topic of the post, a grand for a trailer upgrade and an engine upgrade is a steal and all things being equal about the boats from there the decision between the two should be a foregone conclusion.

davidstan
03-07-2014, 02:09 PM
If you're tag line is correct you're talking about two completely different boats. Hulls are not even closely related and I'm willing to bet the props were not the same either, or at least they shouldn't have been.

My dealer (AWS) says they prefer the RTP over the MCX in the X2s. They said it was because of the way that particular boat is used (typically not at high RPM where the MCX starts to shine). The HP ratings, the dyno sheets and most honest dealers will tell you there just isn't that much difference between the two motors especially in that boat being used for what it's intended design is. Everything about the motors is identical with the exception of the intake, fuel injection and ECM mapping. The rotating assembly and heads are the same part numbers.

All that being said and getting back on the original topic of the post, a grand for a trailer upgrade and an engine upgrade is a steal and all things being equal about the boats from there the decision between the two should be a foregone conclusion.
Not to mention 9 yrs apart in age, forgot where I was for a second should have put a disclaimer on my post "not scientific" ;) just seat of the pants :rolleyes: but agreed, tandem trailer makes the deal for the MCX.