PDA

View Full Version : Zero Off vs. Perfect Pass in 2012 X2

lentiman
03-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Hey all, here's my continuing pre-season saga with my new to me 2012 X2. Part of the purchase agreement on my X2 was Zero Off. I checked with the dealer I bought it from (not a MC dealer) and he assured me that it had Zero Off. I just had the boat checked out with my local MC dealer after getting the boat and it does NOT have Zero Off. Which based on me going over the boat when I get it makes sense: no GPS receiver to be found. So some questions:

1) What's the cost to have Zero Off added to the boat? Whatever the cost is I intend to get back from the dealer that sold me the boat.

2) It currently has the 2012 version of Perfect Pass. Everything I've read says Zero Off is the way to go, but I'll ask it in my case: Is it worth spending that $ to put in Zero Off?

3) Would it be better to buy a Nautic Laugic GPS plug and play system for Perfect Pass? It's only $210 and I've heard good things about it in Team Talk.

Thoughts? Comments?

Wkndtoy
03-05-2014, 12:28 AM
I recently acquired a 2012 X55 and started down the same path to add zero off to ours. But after last Saturday we hit lake Washington and gave the existing system a extended test. Using the info from here I adjusted the prefect pass setting and low and behold it held the speed better than the factory settings. Although when the wind kicked the water up the rpm mode was more stable. But I'm still a newbie with the system.

MC25
03-05-2014, 12:51 AM
If it's written in the purchase agreement, I would pursue the selling dealer for reimbursement of funds to have it installed at your dealer. I'd be pissed!

Stefan
03-05-2014, 01:52 AM
the GPS puck (which is all you need) should be around US$500, Id make the dealer send it to me and just put it in myself. That way you always have the choice between PerfectPass and ZeroOff, btw I think you only have RPM mode when you have a touchscreen.

lentiman
03-05-2014, 09:30 AM
No touchscreen in my x2

MC25
03-05-2014, 12:01 PM
So my first call about it would have been to the dealer you bought the boat from!!!

willyt
03-05-2014, 12:03 PM
my understanding is perfect pass will not work in 2012 models, you need zero off to be happy.

if its in your purchase agreement with the dealer you bought it from, they need to add it. period.

lentiman
03-05-2014, 12:18 PM
So my first call about it would have been to the dealer you bought the boat from!!!

I'll get a quote from my MC dealer for the Zero Off install and send it to the dealer I bought my X2 from. The service around the purchase has been great and I know the PO told the dealer it had Zero Off. He's a ski centurion dealer so wasn't extremely familiar with the X2. I've nothing bad to say about the guy and won't hang him out to dry before talking with him. Also, my local MC dealer found no issues with the boat so considering it was a 3000+ mile transaction it's all good.

501s
03-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Zero off is far superior. All you need is the GPS puck. I installed my own and it took less than an hour.

lentiman
03-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Zero off is far superior. All you need is the GPS puck. I installed my own and it took less than an hour.

Did you just plug it in to the harness behind the dash? Did you need to change any settings in the gauges or anything else? Thanks.

Bruce-ActionWater
03-05-2014, 04:01 PM
You have to get or buy the GPS antenna, drill a hole and plug it in. You also have to reprogram the GDIG for the Zero Off to work. To reprogram the GDIG you have to have a special programer from MasterCraft/Medallion. MasterCraft has only 6 of them that float around the country from dealer to dealer. If you have any other specific questions please feel free to give me a call or email. [email protected] or 810-629-1342

CBRENT
03-05-2014, 04:36 PM
@ Bruce-ActionWater - What is the cost for switching over to Zero Off? I have to agree with the others that the Perfect Pass is not reliable and does not hold it's settings very well. Not sure if it's just with the 2012 models or PP is just flakey period...

Bruce-ActionWater
03-05-2014, 04:41 PM
@ Bruce-ActionWater - What is the cost for switching over to Zero Off? I have to agree with the others that the Perfect Pass is not reliable and does not hold it's settings very well. Not sure if it's just with the 2012 models or PP is just flakey period...

Corey,

The 2012's are kind of weird. Some boat the PP works awesome and some they work just ok. I will email you the pricing.

lentiman
03-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Corey,

The 2012's are kind of weird. Some boat the PP works awesome and some they work just ok. I will email you the pricing.

Email me too please! I assume it's one of the GPS antenna's linked below, but if the MC dealer has to do some reprogramming it's not a complete DIY project.

https://www.zerogps.com/products?field_pcategory_tid=5

Bruce-ActionWater
03-05-2014, 04:54 PM
Email me too please! I assume it's one of the GPS antenna's linked below, but if the MC dealer has to do some reprogramming it's not a complete DIY project.

https://www.zerogps.com/products?field_pcategory_tid=5

Will do. That Antenna will not work with the Medallion brain. It has to come from MC.

lentiman
03-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks Bruce, that's on par with what I was originally guessing based on the original MC option costs. The non-MC dealer I bought my X2 from is also reaching out to his MC contact. Thanks.

KahunaCraft
03-05-2014, 08:38 PM
When my dealer installed mine, they changed the dials (GDIG replaced)... I recommend you test at the various speeds for all sports as usingn RPM mode doesn't work very well if you load the boat... My perfect pass was great for surfing and not functioning for wakeboarding.

Zero-off made a night and day difference.

That being said, I think the right prop with perfect pass could work fine...I noticed yet another night and day difference when I went to the ACME 1285....