PDA

View Full Version : New to forum, 84 Stars and Stripes

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 05:04 PM
My name is Tony, I'm new to the forum, just saying hello.. My girl and I recently bought an 84 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes. We bought the boat from her parents, who are the second owners and have owned the boat for 25+ years. The boat has been sitting in there garage for the past 15 years. I did a full tune up on it the end of last year and we took it out about 4-5 times and it ran like a champ.

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Sorry for the crappy pics and not sure why 2 of them are sideways. The boat was all original when I bought it, the last 2 pics are with the new bimini top and I will get some interior pics as soon as I'm finished with the stereo install.

ted shred
03-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Nice!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Welcome to Team Talk. That is a great looking boat!

Saltdog
03-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Where did you get the bimini? What's the width and length of it ?is that a hole cut out for the Skylon I see from under neath ?
Thanks.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2014, 05:22 PM
It was making my neck hurt......

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Where did you get the bimini? What's the width and length of it ?is that a hole cut out for the Skylon I see from under neath ?
Thanks.

I bought the bimini top here. Size is 6'x46"x79-84". I took it down to a marine upholstery shop and had the guy cut a hole and sew a velcro patch on top.

http://www.norestar.com/Bimini-Cover-3-Bow-Zippered-Hardware/dp/B009KA0S0S

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 05:33 PM
It was making my neck hurt......

Thank you! :toast:

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Thank you! :toast:

My pleasure. http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/images/smilies/toth.gif

If you ever need any trailer accessories, give me a shout. I carry most anything you need at pretty competitive prices.

tph
03-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Are you in Marin county?

scott023
03-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Looks like it's in fantastic shape. Congrats.

03geetee
03-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Nice boat good purchase!

JTR

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Are you in Marin county?

No I'm in solano county.

1redTA
03-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Nice boat! welcome to the site

atihanyi
03-04-2014, 06:15 PM
very nice !!!

Ironhorse
03-04-2014, 06:47 PM
That looks great! Welcome to the site.

mikeg205
03-04-2014, 06:53 PM
nice boat...

tph
03-04-2014, 07:19 PM
No I'm in solano county.

I'm across the bay. Great boat. You will love it!

Saltdog
03-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks!

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm across the bay. Great boat. You will love it!

Oh nice!! Yeah I'm super excited about it. It's is excellent condition, it damn near looks new. Where do you usually take yours out at? I got it the end of last year and took it several times to Berryessa, which is nice because its fairly close

madcityskier
03-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Great looking ride. Congrats.

Xjet2011
03-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Make sure you replace the Impeller as I can assure you if it sat for a long time it will disintegrate within 2 hours of running the boat. Pieces of the rubber could clog up the water passages and create more trouble. Nice boat I have an 86 and a 90 myself.

mikeg205
03-04-2014, 08:17 PM
My name is Tony, I'm new to the forum, just saying hello.. My girl and I recently bought an 84 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes. We bought the boat from her parents, who are the second owners and have owned the boat for 25+ years. The boat has been sitting in there garage for the past 15 years. I did a full tune up on it the end of last year and we took it out about 4-5 times and it ran like a champ.

how about some engine pics and underwater gear pics... :)

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Make sure you replace the Impeller as I can assure you if it sat for a long time it will disintegrate within 2 hours of running the boat. Pieces of the rubber could clog up the water passages and create more trouble. Nice boat I have an 86 and a 90 myself.

I have not changed that, I took the boat out end of last year and didn't have any problems but I will definitely change it now. Anything else you can thing of that should be changed?

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 09:04 PM

I will take some engine pics here shortly and I'm not sure what underwater gear pics is? Are you referring to the prop?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2014, 09:04 PM
I would put in a fresh thermostat, spark plugs, dist. cap & rotor, fuel filter and transmission fluid. If it still has points and you haven't changed them, I would replace them as well.

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 09:34 PM
I would put in a fresh thermostat, spark plugs, dist. cap & rotor, fuel filter and transmission fluid. If it still has points and you haven't changed them, I would replace them as well.

I haven't done thermostat or cap/rotor. I changed the points to electronic. Do you think the cap/rotor is a definite change? I would rather change it if you guys think its needs it but just curious.

Also the owner gave me a new impeller but its one he bought 15+ years ago. Its new in box but its been sitting, you think its ok?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2014, 09:37 PM
I haven't done thermostat or cap/rotor. I changed the points to electronic. Do you think the cap/rotor is a definite change? I would rather change it if you guys think its needs it but just curious.

Also the owner gave me a new impeller but its one he bought 15+ years ago. Its new in box but its been sitting, you think its ok?

I assume you changed the cap & rotor when converted to EI. If so, you should be fine. Take a look at the contacts to see how worn they look.

Buy 2 new impellers and throw away the 15 year old one. Actually I would buy one impeller, then a spare tire and mount, then another impeller to have on hand.;)

cruiser
03-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Welcome, nice s x s

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Here is what was changed

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Here is what was changed

The Pertronix EI comes with a new rotor but not the cap. Take a look inside to see if the metal contacts look nice and clean and square. If they are, you are good to go. If it looks like someone was welding in there, it's time for a new cap.

I have the Pertronix EI in my boat.

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 10:15 PM
The Pertronix EI comes with a new rotor but not the cap. Take a look inside to see if the metal contacts look nice and clean and square. If they are, you are good to go. If it looks like someone was welding in there, it's time for a new cap.

I have the Pertronix EI in my boat.

Yes they both were changed with EI, I did the tune up with my girlfriends father (old owner of the boat) who changed it to EI. I guess I didn't realize the cap/rotor were changed. No wonder they looked so good lol

Where's the best place to buy a new impeller and thermostat?

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 10:18 PM

Here you go!:steering:

Damnit! the first 3 aren't straight again

tph
03-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Power Slot too!!!!!

neil.anderson63
03-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Very nice! Good to hear you brought this beauty out of storage. Enjoy! Welcome to TT.

Double D
03-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Congrats to you and your girl. You picked up a nice ride.

Sent from my New iPad Mini using Tapatalk

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2014, 11:04 PM
You weren't kidding about this thing being clean. :toast:

mikeg205
03-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Here you go!:steering:

Damnit! the first 3 aren't straight again

Get that smutz in the bilge will ya - for cryin' out loud... ;) awesomely clean..and well cared for... :D

FrankSchwab
03-04-2014, 11:19 PM
skidim.com is good for an impeller. Also, if it were me, I'd replace the belt also if it's 15 years old.

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm pretty excited about it. I'm almost done with a stereo install so when I'm finished I'll get some pics

Tony 84S&S
03-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Here's a sneak peak

john jones
03-05-2014, 12:13 AM
Awesome looking S&S. Is that some fuel that has dripped down on the intake manifold? I have had carbs that have sat for a while that could leak from a dried up gasket. Something to keep your eye on.

If it is no biggie, carb kit and a couple of hours, it will be good as new!

Welcome to the forum!

Tony 84S&S
03-05-2014, 12:29 AM
Awesome looking S&S. Is that some fuel that has dripped down on the intake manifold? I have had carbs that have sat for a while that could leak from a dried up gasket. Something to keep your eye on.

If it is no biggie, carb kit and a couple of hours, it will be good as new!

Welcome to the forum!

The dark spots arrear to be stained in those area's and it looks like a very small amount of thick black grease in there, not sure whats causing that. It's not gas though. Ill take a close up pic

Tony 84S&S
03-05-2014, 12:38 AM
What do you think?

tph
03-05-2014, 11:36 AM
The dark spots arrear to be stained in those area's and it looks like a very small amount of thick black grease in there, not sure whats causing that. It's not gas though. Ill take a close up pic

I think he's referring to the area in front of the carb just below the connection to the fuel line. I've had to tighten this fitting more than once for the same reason. Also, I think that greasy thing you're referring to may be a disintegrating rubber vacuum plug.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Just going from the pics, I would say the discoloration has come from leaking fuel. Assuming both the base gasket and fuel line connection. Easy enough to find a leaky base gasket by spraying carb cleaner around the base of the carb with the engine idling. Any increase in speed and you have found the leak. For the fuel line, it needs to line up square before it is connected, and tighten down without any side pressure on the line to be a leak-free connection.

gweaver
03-05-2014, 01:27 PM
That's a cool upgrade. I need to do that to mine prior to this summer.
I'm in NorCal as well- Sonoma County. If you ever head over this way, look me up.
G

liledgy
03-05-2014, 01:33 PM
She is a beauty!

tph
03-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Here's a sneak peak

Where did you find carpet to match?

Tony 84S&S
03-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Just going from the pics, I would say the discoloration has come from leaking fuel. Assuming both the base gasket and fuel line connection. Easy enough to find a leaky base gasket by spraying carb cleaner around the base of the carb with the engine idling. Any increase in speed and you have found the leak. For the fuel line, it needs to line up square before it is connected, and tighten down without any side pressure on the line to be a leak-free connection.

I'm going to pull it out today and fire it up and try this. So let it warm up and at idle spray carb cleaner at the base of the carb and if the RPM's increase then I can tell there's a leak? One thing at idle and acceleration there is no hesitation at all or any rough idle either. Should I try to tightening the fuel line as well?

Also when I go full throttle it starts to cut out, almost like its starving for fuel. So at about 40mpg it has no problem but when I hit wide open throttle is when that happens. Almost like its bucking/ jerking motion and when I back off slightly it runs great.

And thanks everyone for the help and the compliments

Tony

Tony 84S&S
03-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Where did you find carpet to match?

Ballards Upholstery in Vacaville, CA. I took the motor cover down there and he had several samples and I matched it the best as possible. It matches really well when its in the boat.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-05-2014, 04:41 PM
I'm going to pull it out today and fire it up and try this. So let it warm up and at idle spray carb cleaner at the base of the carb and if the RPM's increase then I can tell there's a leak? One thing at idle and acceleration there is no hesitation at all or any rough idle either. Should I try to tightening the fuel line as well?

Also when I go full throttle it starts to cut out, almost like its starving for fuel. So at about 40mpg it has no problem but when I hit wide open throttle is when that happens. Almost like its bucking/ jerking motion and when I back off slightly it runs great.

And thanks everyone for the help and the compliments

Tony

A base gasket leak won't always produce a bad idle because you can sort of overcome it with mixture and idle speed adjustments. It seems amazingly simple to test for a base gasket leak that way, but it works every time. You can also find worn throttle shaft problems as they cause a vacuum leak also. Another way to find a big vacuum leak is to cover the throat of the carb with a rag to cut out the air supply and see if it keeps running. Problem with this method is it won't show a small leak.

WOT operation will always show a weakness, whether it be plugs (even just one fouled plug), bad plug wires, cap & rotor..... In your case, you are probably looking at either a bad power valve or a bad secondary diaphragm. Once you are sure the carb base gasket isn't leaking (or you have replaced them, you can turn the mixture screws all the way in and if the engine dies, your power valve is good. The other way to test it requires removing the primary fuel bowl and manually testing it. Prior to doing the engine running power valve test, with the engine off, turn each idle mixture screw in until lightly seated and write down the number of turns to the 1/4 turn so you can get back to where you started.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Regarding the fuel line, it is easy to over-tighten it since it takes a big wrench to fit it. I would be tempted to disassemble it and inspect. Make sure the threads are clean and it goes together smoothly.

Miss Rita
03-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Darn it!

You guys have me thinking about summerizing the 205, and I haven't finished my winter ski trips yet!

We still have a blizzard (or two) to go before I can get out on the water.

Xjet2011
03-06-2014, 09:51 PM
I am thinking that problem at Wide open throttle could be a weak Fuel Pump?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-06-2014, 10:00 PM
I am thinking that problem at Wide open throttle could be a weak Fuel Pump?

Mechanical fuel pumps can lose volume, but it isn't very common. They typically work until the diaphragm ruptures and they are done. That doesn't rule out other fuel supply issues such as the rubber fuel line from the tank failing due to ethanol and collapsing in on itself, or a clogged tank vent not allowing proper fuel availability.

DemolitionMan
03-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Welcome, Great looking boat!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Welcome, Great looking boat!

Gotta love a red MC

MikeyOrange88
03-06-2014, 10:43 PM
I'm really envious of your good fortune! Red '84 S&S in fantastic shape, doesn't get much better than that. And to pick it up from your pa-in-law, you probably got a good deal too, huh.:o

If you're pretty sure that there aren't any leaks, I wonder if the staining around the intake manifold is from spraying some sort of lubricant on the carb linkages over the years. A prime suspect area for carb. leaks would be the accelerator pump diaphragm gasket, located on bottom of the primary bowl, right next to the fuel line inlet. When it leaks there though, it will usually just puddle right there on the manifold between the runner and carb. Very surprised a layup of that long and the carb would still run well, figured it would be pretty gummed up. Check the area in front below the fuel inlet while it's running or shortly thereafter and you'll see the gas if in fact it's leaking.

Good luck.

MikeyOrange88
03-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Since it has sat for so long, you may also want to check the fuel filter(s), and fuel/water separator. Mine has a filter screen at the carb inlet, a filter in the bottom of fuel pump, and a fuel/water separator located on the side of the bilge. There may also be a screen at the bottom of the fuel pickup tube in the tank.

When you complete the stereo install, you can just sit in the boat and admire.