PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Wetsounds 420EQ thread

Astepatatime
03-02-2014, 10:27 AM
I've got our X55 at the dealership for some maintenance work and am talking to them about having the 420 installed. When we're out riding and I'm behind the boat, with my wife driving, I want the music up so I can hear it. But she doesn't like the loud music in the boat, so the 420 seems like a great solution for us.

I asked them where they thought they could mount it. Apparently they won't be using a housing unit. This pic shows where they want to put it, given the wiring they have to do. (The taped in area).

I'm kind of concerned about this. It seems like it'd be pretty inconvenient. Not easy to reach the knobs to make sound adjustments conveniently.

I'd like to hear some thoughts....if you have a 420, are you interacting with it a lot (needing easy access), or not? Other considerations? Or does anyone know an alternate mounting approach.

I'm second guessing whether this is worth doing...

thanks in advance!

clrussell
03-02-2014, 10:28 AM
They don't want to use the new wetsounds billet mount?

JMLVMI
03-02-2014, 10:31 AM
They don't want to use the new wetsounds billet mount?

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=17948&cat=269&page=1

Astepatatime
03-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I asked them about a mount and I think they're just not aware of it. I can send them the info on it. Another $150 bucks...worth it?

jafo9
03-02-2014, 10:47 AM
i wouldn't mount it that far back. i installed mine last winter (the original 420). i ended up mounting it on the right of the dash basically flush with the front of the lowest lip of the dash on the right of the driver. i find that i turn the knobs quite a bit and i wouldn't want any farther reach. i haven't handled the newer version, but on the original version the knobs aren't that big and they all are about the same size so you need to be able to see them to know what you are grabbing. even with the cabin speakers turned down, the tower speakers can be almost painfully loud when you come off throttle to retrieve a downed rider. i will reflexively turn down the tower speakers right after i cut throttle. this makes it more comfortable for the folks in the cabin, plus i figure the folks around me appreciate me not blasting music all the time. i'll see if i can dig up a pic.

JRW160
03-02-2014, 11:45 AM
I would not mount it that far back. You will want it easily within reach of the driver.

Tristarboarder
03-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Out of curiosity sort of relating to this thread; are the WS420 and WS420EQ the same unit functionally, but just aesthetically different?

David Analog
03-02-2014, 01:04 PM
That's a bad deal mounting it that far back. If it's not convenient, then it's not worth adding.
It should be tight underdash, just a bit recessed, and mounted to either the left or right of the wheel.
The cost of the underdash kit is worth it.
The EQ is not made for flush mounting so in order for that to be solid they would have to do some bracketry fabrication, create a finishing trimplate, and make a precise opening in the gelcoat/fiberglass. The kit has got to be easier than that which should mostly offset the cost.
There are big differences in the original WS420 and the revised WS420SQ. Too many to list. Just make sure you get the newer 'SQ' version.

Tristarboarder
03-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Well, I already bought the WS420 about a year ago while slowly building my system. Will it fit in the new WS mount? Or are the 420 and 420eq different dimensions?

seth25
03-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Not only is it not convenient there, but no way I'd be cutting a hole just to mount it. Get the billet mount.

MattsCraft
03-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Def agree to not mount in that location.

On the newer boats, why not get a new custom piece of billet made for the left side and move the existing remote up. This way you have an in-dash mount.

Also, keep in mind depending on how you have the sub connected, turning down the interior speakers will also lower the sub volume. At least that's how it was on the older 420.

David Analog
03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Def agree to not mount in that location.

On the newer boats, why not get a new custom piece of billet made for the left side and move the existing remote up. This way you have an in-dash mount.

Also, keep in mind depending on how you have the sub connected, turning down the interior speakers will also lower the sub volume. At least that's how it was on the older 420.

That is one of the many things that have changed on the newer WS420SQ version. The bass is summed off the two (tower & inboat) zones so it remains constant when you alter those levels. Then it has a dedicated bass level controller.

jdl xstar
03-03-2014, 01:07 PM
That's a bad deal mounting it that far back. If it's not convenient, then it's not worth adding.
It should be tight underdash, just a bit recessed, and mounted to either the left or right of the wheel.
The cost of the underdash kit is worth it.
The EQ is not made for flush mounting so in order for that to be solid they would have to do some bracketry fabrication, create a finishing trimplate, and make a precise opening in the gelcoat/fiberglass. The kit has got to be easier than that which should mostly offset the cost.
There are big differences in the original WS420 and the revised WS420SQ. Too many to list. Just make sure you get the newer 'SQ' version.

This post is right on. Don't let the dealership install way underneath there!

The WS 420 is money very well spent.

Astepatatime
03-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I've told the dealership I don't want to mount it there and pointed them to the new billet bracket. Haven't heard back from them yet. Will keep y'all posted.

CantRepeat
03-03-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm pretty sure on the other side of that spot is filled with wires, fuses and bunch of other stuff.

Astepatatime
03-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Update - the dealership is still trying to figure out the best way to mount the 420EQ.

I gave the green light to purchase the billet mounting bracket so it could be mounted under the dash in easy reach.

Problem #1 - there are two versions of the mounting unit. One has the hole in it for the blue tooth receiver, the other doesn't. I wasn't planning on doing the bluetooth receiver. however, that version of the unit is the one with brackets for under dash mounting, the other is apparently designed for in dash, flush mounting. So I said okay, guess I'll buy the blueetooth receiver too so I don't have a big whole in the mounting unit.

Problem #2. Apparently on my boat, right under the dash where it'd be best to mount it, there is a drop down panel that provides access to wiring and perhaps some fuses also. So this might not be able to be mounted there. I've asked them to see if a vertical mount to the right sidewall, next to the switches is possible.

This is turning out to be a much bigger challenge than I thought....

Stay tuned for more.

David Analog
03-06-2014, 09:57 AM
With a quick-disconnect added to the B+, ground and turn-on lead, and labeled RCAs, the EQ becomes quickly removable & reinstallable.
They can also build in a hidden service loop of extra loomed cable allowing the EQ to be dropped for service access without disconnecting anything.

Mastercraftdave
03-06-2014, 10:24 AM
David_Analog, can you please move to Louisiana and open up a business that does boat audio. LA lacks people that know anything about boats. They are all car audio people and don't understands the openness of boats and they best ways to place audio. You make everything sound so good and I have seen the work that comes out of Earmark.

David Analog
03-06-2014, 12:11 PM
David_Analog, can you please move to Louisiana and open up a business that does boat audio. LA lacks people that know anything about boats. They are all car audio people and don't understands the openness of boats and they best ways to place audio. You make everything sound so good and I have seen the work that comes out of Earmark.

Thank you.
After 34 years I sold my interest in Earmark Car Audio/Earmark Marine and retired July 1st, 2013.
Earmark is in good hands with Odin (Earmark Plano and Earmark on-line) and Joe (Earmark Lewisville). You won't find two more experienced guys.

Astepatatime
03-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Thank you.
After 34 years I sold my interest in Earmark Car Audio/Earmark Marine and retired July 1st, 2013.
Earmark is in good hands with Odin (Earmark Plano and Earmark on-line) and Joe (Earmark Lewisville). You won't find two more experienced guys.

David - thanks so much for your comments. It sounds like if my dealer is not figuring it out, I should suggest they call Earmark and talk through it?

David Analog
03-06-2014, 04:03 PM
David - thanks so much for your comments. It sounds like if my dealer is not figuring it out, I should suggest they call Earmark and talk through it?

If need be. I know with the busy boating season rapidly approaching (at least down south) sometimes a business has more people tugging on their apron strings than they can process so they have to prioritize patrons. I can't speak for them, but on some days I had more emails, phone calls and PMs than I could process in 24 hours.
For starters, I would capture and copy the dealer via email some of the suggestions written here. Then have them reach out if more help is needed AND IF they will accept the assistance.
I like the idea of mounting the EQ on the side coaming, but only if the chassis and wiring can be concealed.
The under dash panel is still doable in my opinion, although an intermediate panel (perhaps 0.375" thick ABS or HDPE) could aid quick R&R and also add some rigidity to the underpanel if needed.
That should be enough info to occupy them for a bit.

Astepatatime
05-11-2014, 07:27 PM
A followup up to this thread. The WS420 EQ was installed a while ago, but just today I finally got to get some lake time with it.

All in all, very happy with it. It operated just as a I wanted - easy to adjust/tune the sound in the boat, and shape the output to either towers, in boat, or both.

The bluetooth receiver worked fine also. Connected by Samsung G4 to it and ran playlists of it, clear as can be.

Here's a few pics of the install. Mounting sideways isn't a big deal. I'd prefer horizontal, but the underpanel of the dash wouldn't allow it. It's out of the way and still easy to reach and control the knobs.

Cain0725
05-11-2014, 10:59 PM
just finished installing my WS420-SQ, i mounted it center where your talking, put flush just under the edge with brackets i made. Took about two hours, works great and convenient. Listen to david at earmark, (retired) he knows everything about boat stereos. It was probably the best investment i have spent on the boat.

CantRepeat
05-12-2014, 07:04 AM
All that exposed wiring would bother me to no end.

lintwurm
05-12-2014, 08:38 AM
This is what I did for my buddies boat.

Astepatatime
05-12-2014, 08:49 AM

I hear you...and feel it a little. But didn't have many choices.

Under the dash, at least on the X55, there is a drop down panel for access to electronics. so mounting it there, which would have hid the wires, wasn't really an option.

Perhaps cutting a hole somewhere would have been...but that's a pretty permanent solution.

CantRepeat
05-12-2014, 08:50 AM
You gotta do what you gotta do!

JRW160
05-12-2014, 03:51 PM
I agree

JRW160
05-12-2014, 03:51 PM
This is what I did for my buddies boat.
That looks like a pretty good option

tmacx2
05-12-2014, 04:50 PM
I wonder if a good stereo shop wouldn't be able to come up with a better install solution for you. The original install on my eq was OK and I lived with it for a year. I took the boat to a stereo shop for new speakers and amp and they said they could do a cleaner install, which they did and I'm very happy with. I realize the dashes between 2011 and 2013 are different, but just a thought.

WakeWise
05-12-2014, 08:35 PM
I always used an RCA line level control. Inexpensive and you could turn up the tower speakers and the boat cabin speakers could be lower. Keeps the wife happy the the rider thrilled with volume.

WakeWise

WakeWise
05-12-2014, 08:36 PM
https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&source=android-browser&q=rca+line+level+controller&revid=1931652357&sa=X&ei=JmhxU5TcM8v2oATSyIHIDA&ved=0CIcBENUCKAM&biw=360&bih=592#facrc=_&imgrc=Ck-Hz9ySW80L3M%253A%3Bundefined%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F www.tmwoffroad.com%252Fimages%252FVolume%252520con trol.jpeg.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.tmwoffroad. com%252Fproduct.sc%253FproductId%253D313%3B175%3B1 31

WakeWise

KnoxX2
05-12-2014, 08:48 PM
I used these in my last boat and loved them.
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=267&CategoryID=28

Footin
05-12-2014, 08:50 PM
I used these in my last boat and loved them.
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=267&CategoryID=28

Per Knox advice, I just installed this also for the cabin speakers. Works great, simple to operate and mount.

WakeWise
05-12-2014, 09:00 PM
KnoxX2 you are correct those are the ones I've had. Fast control as well to turn down once the rider biffs.

WakeWise

MLA
05-12-2014, 09:29 PM
I hear you...and feel it a little. But didn't have many choices.

Under the dash, at least on the X55, there is a drop down panel for access to electronics. so mounting it there, which would have hid the wires, wasn't really an option.

Perhaps cutting a hole somewhere would have been...but that's a pretty permanent solution.

X25 but very similar. The EQ can quickly be removed from its L brackets allow access to the helm panel.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x101/chpthril/IMG_4023_zps58738319.jpg (http://s181.photobucket.com/user/chpthril/media/IMG_4023_zps58738319.jpg.html)

X15 on the right of the helm. Again, only takes a minute to remove the EQ. I think the underdash bracket would still allow for access without too much extra trouble.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x101/chpthril/chpthril045/P8090478_zpsc3347d3b.jpg (http://s181.photobucket.com/user/chpthril/media/chpthril045/P8090478_zpsc3347d3b.jpg.html)