PDA

View Full Version : Need guidance on boat purchase

TNVOL-X45
03-01-2014, 01:23 PM
I currently have a 2011 x45 with 6.0 ilmore, power tower, heated seats, underwater lights, 2 JL cans, and I can't think of the other options. The boat has just over 100 hrs. We had three in our family, but now we have 6. We have three foster girls that we will be adopting this year. I love the layout and bow area for all the kiddos, but we are trying to do more surfing. I am currently filling ballast bags with a sunami pump to get a good wave.

I would love some thoughts on moving to a 2014 x30 with the new gen 2 surf system. I would be a foot shorter and losing a lot of bow space, but my thinking is the ease of the new system, I would not have the down time that I have now setting the boat up.

Well, give me some pros and cons. Also my dealer said the 5.7 would be fine in that boat. Thoughts??

Mastercraftdave
03-01-2014, 04:11 PM
I don't think I would trade my X45 for a x30. With the proper ballast setup the x45 is one of the best boats in the MC lineup not to mention with all the options that you have it will be hard to do that in the x30 for a reasonable price as the power tower is a hefty option. I love my x45 and if your adding more people to your family I wouldn't want to go down in size to a smaller boat. Just my .02 but I would keep your x45. It's a great looking boat.

MC25
03-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Sounds like you have an awesome boat already!

Nordicron
03-01-2014, 06:51 PM
The reversible seat and the ability to evenly weight the boat would seriously have me considering a x-30 also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMLVMI
03-01-2014, 10:21 PM
More people = smaller boat? Not following :) Keep the X45.

skitilldark
03-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Or get an x46?

Thrall
03-02-2014, 01:43 AM
First kudos to you and your wife for giving some kids a better life.
Unless you want a new X30 just to have a new boat, no reason to get one just to make filling sacks easier. The X45 is an awesome surf boat.
You can plumb extra sacks into your existing system or even add a separately plumbed in surf system. All for less than the cost of a new boat.
The rear lockers all of them in fact are huge. Plumb in a big bow sac into the KGB ballast tank and a big sack into the rear corner on your surf side.
The 45 is a big boat and an handle more weight than that though so you could plumb in a dedicated port side surf bag under the port seats on a separate switch.

I think the X30 will need extra weight too to be its best at surfing so not gaining a ton by moving up but I don't know anything about the gen 2.

Stefan
03-02-2014, 06:49 AM
When you said your family grew I first thought you were leaning towards an X55... which isn't really larger inside than an X45 anyways. Friend of mine has a 06 X45 and the interieur layout really is about as good as it can get with MC, the flippable obeserver seat and fridge on 35/55 use up a lot of interieuer space/cargo room.

Concerning the interieur of the X30/X46, just grab your whole family head for a dealer, jump in and see yourself.

About the ballast subject: I'm not sure what possibilities exist to extend the ballast fill times for piggy backing on a 2011, might be the same as for the 2012's or might not...

Other option would be an independent automated ballast system for the additional fatsacs which would set you back by far less then a new boat.

mikeg205
03-02-2014, 01:11 PM
I currently have a 2011 x45 with 6.0 ilmore, power tower, heated seats, underwater lights, 2 JL cans, and I can't think of the other options. The boat has just over 100 hrs. We had three in our family, but now we have 6. We have three foster girls that we will be adopting this year. I love the layout and bow area for all the kiddos, but we are trying to do more surfing. I am currently filling ballast bags with a sunami pump to get a good wave.

I would love some thoughts on moving to a 2014 x30 with the new gen 2 surf system. I would be a foot shorter and losing a lot of bow space, but my thinking is the ease of the new system, I would not have the down time that I have now setting the boat up.

Well, give me some pros and cons. Also my dealer said the 5.7 would be fine in that boat. Thoughts??

Put some thought into this - with what you seem to be looking for - I would check out the x-46, downsizing is never fun - you'll miss the space - doesn't the x-46 have the same system?
I always miss the space when I go from my friends v drive to my direct drive.

Especially with 6 in the boat... you'll want all the space... IMO -

TNVOL-X45
03-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I have looked at several threads on directly plumbing the fat sacks, that looks like my best deal. We do love the space and layout of the boat.

I have looked at the x46 also, not sure if I like the rear lockers now. They also get pricy quick. I got a great deal when I bought mine which also makes it hard to change in either direction (x30 or x46).

Again, I appreciate all the input. There is wisdom in counsel and it helps me from doing all those crazy things that drive my wife nuts. She says I go through this process every 3-4 years. It worked last time. We went from a four winns to our x45!

mikeg205
03-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I have looked at several threads on directly plumbing the fat sacks, that looks like my best deal. We do love the space and layout of the boat.

I have looked at the x46 also, not sure if I like the rear lockers now. They also get pricy quick. I got a great deal when I bought mine which also makes it hard to change in either direction (x30 or x46).

Again, I appreciate all the input. There is wisdom in counsel and it helps me from doing all those crazy things that drive my wife nuts. She says I go through this process every 3-4 years. It worked last time. We went from a four winns to our x45!

at least it wasn't a Bayliner ;) - we're all in this together... :) :D - funny we all seem to have the same spousal counsel in whatever MC we have the means to get on the water... ;) :D

gunjr
03-02-2014, 05:54 PM
I've got the 6.0l (saltwater) in a 2013 X30 and I don't think you should go with a smaller engine. The x30 is a great all-around boat for skiers, wake boarders, wake surfers, etc. The X45 and X46 is simply too big for skiing. If I had to do it all over again, I would not get fiberglass fenders or the heaters. The trailer sans fiberglass is way cooler and the heaters simply suck.