PDA

View Full Version : Boat sliding sideways

chopp
03-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Was out wakeboarding today. 2010 X2. Full standard ballast plus fly high ballast. At times the back of the boat would get really loose and slide sideways just for a few seconds then stop Sort of felt like the back of a car sliding sideways and having to correct it by steering the other way. Sometimes it did it ( approx 6-10)during the day and sometimes you would go a whole set without it happening. Its never happened before. The boat does have an attitude plate and surf tabs.
Has anyone had this happen. Could it be the actuaters lowering by themselves on one side and then returning to normal.
Any ideas.

Cain0725
03-01-2014, 12:41 AM
yep,, my center one does all the time,,

bbrr22
03-04-2014, 09:17 AM
I notice my '09 x2 doing the same thing. Especially when I cut out hard it gets real loose and the driver needs to compensate a lot by over steering.

TayMC197
03-04-2014, 09:22 AM
To much weight in the bow it seems, creating an air pocket on the rudder..

chopp
03-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Yeah it definitely happens when you cut out. I had more weight in the back than the bow so I'm not sure about that. The strange thing is that we have ran this ballast exactly the same many times before and it didn't happen. That's why I thought it may be the Lenvo rams starting to play up with the surf tabs. Anyway I'll keep looking into it.

mitchelmilitiapres
03-04-2014, 06:01 PM
It happens with shorter boats, especially pulling heavier wakeboarders. Or those who pull harder on the boat. With the lack of tracking fins (not sure that's the official terminology) and less hull in the water due to it being a 20' boat you tend to be pulled by more aggressive riders. Bigger models have both of those and less drastic sliding feel.

You could avoid that problem with an upgrade! (Warning shameless plug ahead) There's an '08 X-Star for sale that definitely doesn't have that problem. ;-)

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2014, 06:06 PM
It happens on my '77, but only when I shift to neutral and turn really hard.:rolleyes:

Jerseydave
03-04-2014, 06:46 PM
It happens on my '77, but only when I shift to neutral and turn really hard.:rolleyes:

^ Haha, that's awesome!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2014, 06:51 PM
^ Haha, that's awesome!

Couldn't help myself.

SKIBUMM
03-04-2014, 06:55 PM

I was thinking that exact same thing LOL. Gotta love a slalom tug. I drove an X45 and thought this thing is a pig to drive. Not that it is any different than any other large V-drive. Just used to the responsiveness of the slalom tug.

madcityskier
03-04-2014, 07:54 PM
In my experience this is is more re noticeable in particularly cold water. What was your water temp when this was occurring?

chopp
03-05-2014, 12:38 AM
water temp? hahaha really! why do you think cold water would affect this. i have no idea on what temp was at the time.but come to think of it , it is the end of the season over here so water is getting colder than it has been.

madcityskier
03-05-2014, 06:28 AM
Just my experience. Had the same sensation once. Reducing bow weight did help, but next summer in the warm water the problem was gone. Otherwise, maybe you waxed the bottom? Maybe you just hadn't noticed it before?

skitilldark
03-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Couldn't help myself.

That's one thing I REALLY miss about my 190. LOVED doing 180's! Especially when the wake caught up to the boat and drenched the back seat passengers...

swatguy
03-05-2014, 08:05 AM
Is it only when a rider is in tow?

If so ........very common in the X2. You need a ton of steering corrections when pulling a strong rider who cuts hard at wakeboard speeds. (Comparatively speaking to other v drives) It's because the boat has no tracking fins. It's just the characteristic of the X2 and one I find to be a huge turnoff on the boat for me. It drives much more like a bow rider than a tournament style wakeboat in my opinion, but that's because I drive an original XStar/205v.

If it is happening while not towing a rider it could be the tab or tabs deploying as well.

Another reason to happen without rider in tow is prop slippage. While the prop may not sho dents or dings it's possible for a blade to be off and really cause some issues similar to what you feel. However you would most likely get a small vibration with that as well. Nevertheless worth taking the prop in to have its balance checked

madcityskier
03-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Based on your saying that this is a new condition, and you haven't changed weighting unless something on the boat is broken, I'm sticking with my answer. There are all kinds of threads and articles on how cold water affects a slalom ski, and tuning the fin accordingly. I think it would be odd to feel that the ski is affected and the boat not at all. I would love to hear more as the season gets later, and into the mid portion of next season regarding this. I'm fairly far North in the US, and the later we push the season, the more I adjust my fin. (Mostly adding and reducing depth.) The boat I really noticed this on is no longer around and had no tracking fins, FWIW. Everything we get out on now has tracking fins. Funny that I've heard from several dealers that tracking fins on wakeboats are really unneccesary, particularly when they are trying to show a boat without them.

chopp
03-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Ok thanks for the replies. I will keep the thread updated as the season comes to an end.
It does only happen when you are towing a boarder.
We use to only run this amount of weight only about a quarter of the time , this time we ran it all day. That might be why we didn't notice it before.
It will start to get a lot colder ( the water ) so I will let you know if it gets any worse or not as this happens.
Then it will be a wait until it warms up again.
The tracking fin thing does make sense
Time will tell. Thanks for the input , I will be out this weekend and report back.

Covi
03-10-2014, 07:18 PM
That's hilarious!!! It use to happen to this old beauty of mine. For some reason the power to weight ratio helped it spin on a dime. #454