PDA

View Full Version : New Hydraulic ZFT-5P tower

bjames
02-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Has anyone seen the new hydraulic version of the 5P tower yet? I was under the impression that all new 2012 5P towers were to be hydraulic.

ddanenberger
02-02-2012, 04:13 PM
met with Matt from MC at the Chicago show. He said they have decided to stay electric. Lenco has made improvments that have corrected the problems ??? Maybe.

Second he indicated they have developed corner braces to take pressure off the actuators. They are supposed to be sending out the corner braces like they did for the other towers. They look good.

bjames
02-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Are the corner braces similar to the corner braces added for the 2007 4 point towers in that they run diagonally in the upper corners to prevent sway?

ddanenberger
02-02-2012, 06:32 PM
They mounted to the pivot at the rack mounting point. they were flat billet just like the legs are now. They mounted to the top with a billet clamp that went across all three tubes. Sorry, but I did not get a photo.

Did anyone take a photo of the X-45 at the Chicago show... it had the new braces????

ddanenberger
02-02-2012, 07:27 PM
I found a photo

ddanenberger
02-02-2012, 07:32 PM
here is another view

MattsCraft
02-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Nice, looks great and should be a big improvement. Not a big fan of White... but that white powder coat looks pretty sweet!

jbkriss
02-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Lenco makes the actuators for the electric towers? I guess it stands to reason that the tower would remain electric since Lenco tabs are electric. Bennett tabs are hydraulic.

bjames
02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
WTH?? since when are they doing colored towers? BTW I like the looks of the braces. Hopefully it will minimize lateral sway :)

ddanenberger
02-03-2012, 02:26 PM
The tower shop in lake zurich illinos will powdercoat towers. The black version is sharp

vision
02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
WTH?? since when are they doing colored towers? BTW I like the looks of the braces. Hopefully it will minimize lateral sway :)

I must admit it is embarrassing that they made the same engineering mistake with the ZFT5p that they did with the ZFT3. When you replace an aluminum tube, that resists deformation equally in both angular directions (left and right and front and back in this case) and instead use a flat piece of stock (center section of the ZFT3 and the entire side of the ZFT5p) there is going to be much more angular deflection parallel to the thin aspect of the stock. Unless you use some seriously thick stock! Why not run a spine down the center of the two flat plates on the side of the ZFT5p making them T beams, instead of having to jury rig a brace?

ahhudgins
02-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Luckily I will never be in the market for a new MC. Iím just not a fan of the bulky look of the power towers. But who knows, it could grow on me one day. Every time I see one, all I can think of is the robot on Robocop.

X25 ED
02-04-2012, 03:43 AM
Has anyone seen the new hydraulic version of the 5P tower yet? I was under the impression that all new 2012 5P towers were to be hydraulic.

At the boat show in dusseldorf i was told that they stick with electric also, they modified the system and it should work fine.
Test with hydrolic did not seem to work out that good is was told by my dealer.

Curious btw if my new X25 has got this extra braces on it, she should be just underway to europe buy now.

X25 ED
02-04-2012, 03:44 AM
Luckily I will never be in the market for a new MC. Iím just not a fan of the bulky look of the power towers. But who knows, it could grow on me one day. Every time I see one, all I can think of is the robot on Robocop.

I love robocop:D