PDA

View Full Version : OK guys, recommend a lake

73blue
02-02-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm planning a weekend for my buddy's bachelor party and was thinking about finding a place to rent on a lake for a couple nights in May. Since I'm on Douglas year round, I was hoping to get away and check some other areas out. Anyone got any suggestions in the NorthEast GA, northwest SC, or western NC areas? We aren't a wild bunch by any means and we don't need much in the way of amenities. Wouldn't mind being out in the boonies. Got a couple guys with young families also, so of course the cheaper the better. :D

What you got for me?

02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Blue Ridge Georgia is AWESOME

363COUPE
02-02-2012, 01:22 PM
I don't know if this is to far for you but Smith Lake in Alabama is one of the best in my area. Lots of house rentals available. If you're searching for it, it's actually called Lewis Smith Lake.

jdl xstar
02-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Lake Santeetlah, NC. In mountians.. Amazing scenery, great rental homes.

02ProstarSammyD
02-02-2012, 03:52 PM
^x2. Swinging norris would be better though

mitchelmilitiapres
02-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I would check out Lake Guntersville. Not quite as far as a drive as Smith and certainly not as busy, better chance of finding some butter! :D

73blue
02-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I looked at Santeetlah. Blue Ridge seems like it has some good options also. Anyone know anything about May conditions. water level, water temp, boat traffic, etc?

ski/hunt
02-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Check out chatuge lake...

CruisinGA
02-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm hosting a bachelor party at my house on Blue Ridge in may, so I may be biased. :)

I put it last weekend in March. Stop using the wetsuit a few weeks before Memorial Day. Suit isn't really needed all that time but since I've got it, might as well be comfortable.

This spring should be warmer than most, last two winters the lake froze over and it took a loooong time to warm up.

Most of the North Ga lakes are nice, Blue Ridge has the right combo of scenery and 75% of shoreline is National Forest so it almost never gets crowded.

jafo9
02-03-2012, 08:45 AM
what about lake burton. you could hang with st. saban.

CruisinGA
02-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Burton is pretty, nice lake, nice houses.

Water SUCKS Friday-Sunday. All the seawalls means that it only takes a couple boats to end up with nasty water.

Starshack
02-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I have been on almost every lake in North Georgia and I may be partial since I own a house there but Blue Ridge IMO is the best - not crowded and a decent pool of rental houses. Permanent slalom course as well as a jump. You will be one of the few people on the lake during the week and weekends are not bad. Water quality is among the highest of all TVA lakes and the water is a greenish blue since the bottom was completed cleared when the lake was built and there is a lot of shale rock as opposed to red Georgia clay.

davidstan
02-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Lake Lure NC, lots of rentals around the lake

73blue
02-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks again for the suggestions guys. Looks like we are leaning toward Blue Ridge or Chatuge.
BTW, starshack, I sent you a PM

Starshack
02-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Got your message and replied. Contact me if you have further questions.

73blue
05-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Just wanted to post an update for those that helped out with suggestions. We ended up renting a cabin on Lake Chatuge last weekend. Beautiful lake and a great time was had by all. Some unreal homes on the lake that really make you dream. I was really surprised by the lack of ski/ wakeboard boats on the lake. It may still be a little early for the residents, as I did see a few open lifts, but the water was a pleasant 78 and the weather was good (for the most part, had a little wind for a while but we broke out the surfer and never missed a beat). Hopefully some time I'll get to check out some of these other lakes that were suggested, but for now its back to the grind, floating here on Douglas. Thanks for the help, guys.