PDA

View Full Version : Boat question

vxmine
01-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Hey all,

I've been in the market for a few months now and finally getting close to buying.

I have my eye on a 2006 X-30, but it has 437 hours on it.

Just wanted to know if there would be any concerns with that amount of hours. Pictures look clean and it looks to be in very good shape.

Going to look at it today.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
James

2RLAKE
01-28-2012, 08:34 AM
i typically put 100 hours a year on it ... the one you are looking at is just over 70 hours/year ... so i would not worry about that at all, ask about the maintenance, i.e. did they change the oil every 50 hours, etc. there are some great threads on here about how to evaluate a used boat

good luck ..

vxmine
01-28-2012, 08:43 AM
2rlake: Thanks for the quick response and feedback.

I will definitely look for those threads.

It makes it hard to compare hours when this boat has 437 and I am also going to look at a 2008 Mobius XLV with 150. Quite a spread, but I'm liking the X-30 more.

Thanks,

James

jakethebt
01-28-2012, 08:51 AM
The popular opinion on here is that most of these engines should run 2000 hours before an overhaul would be considered. 437 does not seem like too many for that year. If it had 1000 I would be more concerned and price would then have to be lower. I would be more concerned with the condition of the boat.

Jerseydave
01-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Like others have said, make sure the maintenance has been performed on the boat. Might be good to take a compression test on both boats just for piece of mind.

What engine is in the X-30, 350hp MCX? I've had 2 of those engines and so far no problems.
The X-30 has a great wakeboard wake and surf wake too.

Look at the fit and finish between the 2 boats, night and day. Take your fist and rap on the side of the hull, the MC is much thicker and built better. If you took a tour of the MC factory like I did you would not even consider the Moomba.

CantRepeat
01-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Regardless of which boat you go with get them both inspected by a marine mechanic to include compression test on the engines.

400+ hours on an 06 doesn't seem to high to me. It's going to be a matter how they maintained the boat.

I'm gonna say the X30 is a good boat, but that's just me.

2RLAKE
01-28-2012, 09:12 AM
2rlake: Thanks for the quick response and feedback.

I will definitely look for those threads.

It makes it hard to compare hours when this boat has 437 and I am also going to look at a 2008 Mobius XLV with 150. Quite a spread, but I'm liking the X-30 more.

Thanks,

James

I was a devoted Supra owner for many years, and have been to the Supra factory several times ... Mobius are a step down in quality from Supra (hence the price). Scott Crutchfield worked on me for years and finally got me to take a tour of the MC factory once and i was an instant convert ... the quality that goes into a MC is incredible

side wall thickness as jerseydave mentioned is there for a reason ... sound, strength life ... you will not find that in a Mobius

We could go on and on, but typically we wont bash the other brands here (too much) ... quality is something you pay for so that you can enjoy a better boat

look at resale value as well ... your used MC will holds its value much better than a Mobius over time

in your heart, you want the MC .. you deserve it ... buy the MC

vxmine
01-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks everyone.

I've looked at a lot of boats in my price range and I keep coming back to this boat. The interior layout, the color (all yellow with grey sparkle stripe), the options and most everything about the boat draws me in.

When I look at other boats (other than the Tige 22ve, which I like a lot), I always compare it to the X-30!

Well, heading out to look at it, let you know how it goes.

Again, thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.

James

GT500 MC
01-28-2012, 10:37 AM
I was a devoted Supra owner for many years, and have been to the Supra factory several times ... Mobius are a step down in quality from Supra (hence the price). Scott Crutchfield worked on me for years and finally got me to take a tour of the MC factory once and i was an instant convert ... the quality that goes into a MC is incredible

side wall thickness as jerseydave mentioned is there for a reason ... sound, strength life ... you will not find that in a Mobius

We could go on and on, but typically we wont bash the other brands here (too much) ... quality is something you pay for so that you can enjoy a better boat

look at resale value as well ... your used MC will holds its value much better than a Mobius over time

in your heart, you want the MC .. you deserve it ... buy the MC

2RLake - You have to be in sales--I love that quote "in your heart, you know you want the MC, you deserve it"...awesome. And I agree. :D

holdenh2o
01-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Let's see some pictures:D

Jerseydave
01-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Is this the one?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-Mastercraft-X-30-101546324

Looks nice.

2RLAKE
01-28-2012, 01:35 PM
2RLake - You have to be in sales--I love that quote "in your heart, you know you want the MC, you deserve it"...awesome. And I agree. :D

i am ... want to buy the finest jet engine available in the world? Its the MC of airplane motors!

vxmine
01-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Jerseydave: Yes thats the one.

Looked at it today, and while it was a nice looking boat, it had a lot of little things to fix. Switches, screws, misc. little stuff. Not a big deal.

Still thinking about it...

erkoehler
01-28-2012, 09:44 PM
For that price it won't be perfect.

jakethebt
01-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Wow... I like the yellow and silver flake. Yellow always looks good on the water. Also cool how the silver flake transitions into the swim platform.

TN X-45
01-29-2012, 10:02 AM
I will say that I have a similar platform and I am not a fan of the flake around the edges. It looks GREAT, but is easily scratched. Would go teak all day long if I had it to do over again.

2RLAKE
01-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Is this the one?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-Mastercraft-X-30-101546324

Looks nice.

great looking boat ... our friends have a similar X9 ... just gorgeous on the water

buy it ... buy it

Thrall
02-01-2012, 11:22 AM
I have an 06 with only about 120hrs (unfortunately) and my buddy has an 06 with over 450hrs on it as of the end of last season.
The only differences in wear and tear or parts needing replaced so far between the 2 is he has one back seat cushion that is coming unstitched (center one that ALWAYS gets stepped on) and he had to replace the rudder box this fall due to slop in the rudder (couple hundred $ I think).
I'd use the hours as a negotiating tool for price a bit, but wouldn't be scared about buying a 400hr boat at all if it was well cared for and regularly maintained.

davidstan
02-01-2012, 03:03 PM
I will say that I have a similar platform and I am not a fan of the flake around the edges. It looks GREAT, but is easily scratched. Would go teak all day long if I had it to do over again.

Ditto but i dont miss the teaking and sanding each winter.

jvbaca
02-01-2012, 07:24 PM
I have an 05 X-45 I'd take 45k for....It's in great shape and has the closed loop 6.0L Cadillac motor, wet sounds equalizer, wet sounds tower speakers, on board coolers, tons of storage space etc....pics available if your interested.

AZX46OD
02-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone.

I've looked at a lot of boats in my price range and I keep coming back to this boat. The interior layout, the color (all yellow with grey sparkle stripe), the options and most everything about the boat draws me in.

When I look at other boats (other than the Tige 22ve, which I like a lot), I always compare it to the X-30!

Well, heading out to look at it, let you know how it goes.

Again, thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.

James

James

You cannot go wrong with the X30. I have an 07 X30. My previous boat was an 06 Tige 22ve. THERE IS NO COMPARISON!! The X30 is much bigger inside, the fit and finish is way ahead of the Tige from the tower and racks (the tige racks were a joke and gave me constant fits) to the functionality of the dash and the storage, and the wake is so much better. It is much cleaner and crisper and much easier to shape for surfing, etc. Hence the reason why I only had the Tige for such a short time. I have 280 hours on my 07 X30 which I consider "low" for an '07. I bought it at the end of '08 with only 60 hours on it. I have put on about 70 hours per summer each of the past 3 years.

Having said all of that, I have a blast on the water no matter what boat I am on. Good luck with the boat hunting and have fun!

CCC