PDA

View Full Version : Nautique Announces 100% Electric Wakeboard Boat

vrsc
01-21-2012, 08:52 AM
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/
So the talk on here about the MASTERCRAFT X-something/green potentially being an electric boat wasn't far off.

holdenh2o
01-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Wow. We live in interesting times.

willyt
01-21-2012, 10:29 AM
160 kw = 214 hp ???
If I remember right the e ski nautique could do like 3 passes in the course before dying. Can't wait to see how long the batteries last pushing that monster around

oldairboater
01-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Limited use novelty. Don't want to rain on the parade but charging batteries using a carbon burning power plant or even nuclear power isn't green. A battery powered boat to eliminate exhaust fumes for enclosed use does make sense. If I saw that boat at a boat show. I would honestly walk up. Look it over. Say wow-----then go look at something I might be able to use.

87MCProstar
01-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Limited use novelty. Don't want to rain on the parade but charging batteries using a carbon burning power plant or even nuclear power isn't green. A battery powered boat to eliminate exhaust fumes for enclosed use does make sense. If I saw that boat at a boat show. I would honestly walk up. Look it over. Say wow-----then go look at something I might be able to use.

agreed. though it could start a business idea for us people in the areas of the country that can't ski all year round. Indoor ski parks, similar to the cable parks down south.

nauti-dreamer
01-21-2012, 11:29 AM
agreed. though it could start a business idea for us people in the areas of the country that can't ski all year round. Indoor ski parks, similar to the cable parks down south.

If you're going to build an indoor waterski park why not just install a cable system? Whouldn't that be a more efficient use of electricity and resources (e.g. the expensive, heavy batteries).

No doubt though some Green head millionaire will buy it.

03geetee
01-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Could you imagine how unsettled the water would be if there was an indoor "lake" with an electric boat running around, cable seems a lot smarter to me.

JTR

Covi
01-21-2012, 02:12 PM
My monthly electric bill just arrived 201.00 $

ski_king
01-21-2012, 03:00 PM
If you're going to build an indoor waterski park why not just install a cable system? ................

Might have something to do with wakeboarding requiring a wake ;)

ski_king
01-21-2012, 03:01 PM
My monthly electric bill just arrived 201.00 $

Maybe your neighbor has an electric wakeboard boat puleed into your outside outlet?

jeffbare
01-21-2012, 04:23 PM
This might be a dumb question, but can the electric motors run an alternator that would maintain the battery charge longer than 3 passes? Or maybe the question should be: how much draw is on a engine/motor driven alternator or charger? Does the draw out weigh the charge?

I think I will stick with gas for now.

G-Star
01-21-2012, 05:43 PM
An alternator would take more power to turn than it would produce. Even if the alternator was 100% efficient (which it could never be), it would only return to the batteries what it stole from the electric drive motor(s)... so there could never be a net benefit to the batteries.

I think the best bet for getting "free" power back into the batteries would probably be some sort of photovoltaic covered bimini. Maybe even PV cells built into the windshield somehow? It might even be possible to layer a PV substrate onto the entire hull... might even look cool, like a carbon fibre weave.

-V-
01-21-2012, 07:37 PM
with all the weight from the batteries, you won't need ballast......maybe a selling point.

jeffbare
01-21-2012, 08:03 PM
An alternator would take more power to turn than it would produce. Even if the alternator was 100% efficient (which it could never be), it would only return to the batteries what it stole from the electric drive motor(s)... so there could never be a net benefit to the batteries.

I think the best bet for getting "free" power back into the batteries would probably be some sort of photovoltaic covered bimini. Maybe even PV cells built into the windshield somehow? It might even be possible to layer a PV substrate onto the entire hull... might even look cool, like a carbon fibre weave.

G-Star,
Thanks, I figured that, if what I asked was true, there would be alot more electric cars on the road. To your second point, I like the idea of a PV substrate layer build in the deck. In Western Washington, there aren't enough days we would use a bimini to take advantage of the solar qualities.
Thanks,
Jeff

DemolitionMan
01-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Might have something to do with wakeboarding requiring a wake ;)

You don't need a wake to jump on a cable park.

mikeg205
01-22-2012, 12:06 AM
We just need that Mr. Fusion thing that Doc installed on the Delorian in the Back to the Future Series.... :D

onewheat
01-22-2012, 12:26 AM
You don't need a wake to jump on a cable park.

True, but it isn't the same type of jumping and it doesn't translate quite the same.

trickskier
01-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Water & electricty don't mix!!! --- 8p

01-22-2012, 09:05 AM

They mix just fine....that is the problem....Oil and water don't mix but

Cutty and Gingerale do...al least that is what the girl said at the boat show!!!!

sand2snow22
01-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Electric X-1

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791554

mikeg205
01-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Electric X-1

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791554

107 horsepower? 80kwh?

approx 1 lb. of coal needed to produce 1Kw hour so does that mean about 120lbs of coal to produce 80kwh for 1.5 hours?

trickskier
01-24-2012, 11:16 PM

They mix just fine....that is the problem....Oil and water don't mix but

Cutty and Gingerale do...al least that is what the girl said at the boat show!!!!

OK - I'll watch you "PLUG IT IN" while you're standing in the water --- :rolleyes: