PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder

lanep82
01-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Quick question.

I have an '08 MC X-15.

When I read the depth finder, is that number of feet that I am reading the # of feet from BELOW the BOTTOM of the boat or is it the # of feet deep from the water level itself?

IE. Where is the depth finder taking it's reading?

Side question: How much water does the X-15 need to operate.....at idle speed?

Thanks!

helton333
01-18-2012, 03:33 PM
should be the depth from the hull - I don't think they calibrate them to adjust for thickness of a hull so they should be reading right off true distance from the sensor to the floor of the lake - (not sure the thickness there but likely something around 3/8")

Sensor will be in the rear of the boat because it can't shoot through air - only water - so it is in your hull, at a point where it the hull stays in contact with water

Spork
01-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Quick question.

I have an '08 MC X-15.

When I read the depth finder, is that number of feet that I am reading the # of feet from BELOW the BOTTOM of the boat or is it the # of feet deep from the water level itself?

IE. Where is the depth finder taking it's reading?

Side question: How much water does the X-15 need to operate.....at idle speed?

Thanks!

Draft is 26.5"
Definition: The depth of water that a vessel requires to float freely; the depth of a vessel from the water line to the keel.

lanep82
01-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Draft is 26.5"
Definition: The depth of water that a vessel requires to float freely; the depth of a vessel from the water line to the keel.

Thanks for the info. Does that 26.5" include the propeller or just the boat? I am assuming it includes the prop............

GoneBoatN
01-18-2012, 08:02 PM
My 2010 X-15 sits with the platform just above/at the water line. I went to the garage and measured. Sure enough the 26.5" mentioned previously is about the bottom of the prop and rudder. Taking into account attitude change, wave action and etc you want to add some extra buffer.

So the $500 (price of the prop or more damage) question is how close do you want to play it? How much do you trust that depth finder to be accurate within inches? You never know where there is a rock, stump, or for that matter, someone's cooler full of beer, under water. Just kidding...

One way to check about how the depth finder is reading and at what point you would trust it to, would be to stand behind the boat while it is on the trailer. Measure where the swim platform comes up to on your body. There is some extra clearance between the prop and the ground when on the trailer but you definitely would not want to get closer than that. With boat in shallow water and engine off, jump in the water and check where it is on your body while standing in the water at the platform. When you get close (how close do you want the get) to that mark you previously measured on your body, look to see what the depth finder is saying...

Personally I freak out in shallow water unless I'm pulling up to the ramp; even then I get really nervous.

lanep82
01-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Personally I freak out in shallow water unless I'm pulling up to the ramp; even then I get really nervous.

Oh, I do too! That's why I am asking.......

Great information. I appreciate it!

I plan on doing a little experimenting while I am at the local tie up this summer. The water is about 4 ft deep so I should be able to get an idea on how much clearance there is, etc. Not sure why I didn't think about it before! hah

mikeg205
01-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the info. Does that 26.5" include the propeller or just the boat? I am assuming it includes the prop............

on pleasure craft includes prop and rudder... on large vessels screws above keel....

mikeg205
01-19-2012, 10:02 PM
for a double jeopardy - define freeboard.... :D

GoneBoatN
01-20-2012, 02:16 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeboard_(nautical)

Having an X-15, I have appreciation for freeboard. :D

Also, not having those two little holes up front that let water in causing sinking boats... :uglyhamme