PDA

View Full Version : High wind towing.

cpr05xtr
01-14-2012, 01:56 PM
I was wondering at what wind speed i should be worried when towing my x-star. The weather is calling for 36 mph wind. I am in the mountains in wyoming/colorado so the air is a little thinner but should i be worried about losing my boat to the wind?

curtish
01-14-2012, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't be worried about losing the boat. As long as your truck can handle it. I would be worried about your tranny. High wind has a tendency to slow you down and make your tranny shift with the gusts. Keep an eye on that temp.

mtajpa
01-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Make sure your cover is tight fitting or take it off. I lost my cover in a thunderstorm on I40 once.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-14-2012, 03:06 PM
What are you pulling with?

Jerseydave
01-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Keep your speed down, remove your bimini top if possible. Make sure your trailer tire air pressure is correct because low tire pressure can make a trailer feel less stable.
If you have a good solid tow vehicle (longer wheelbase is always better) you should be fine.
I would not tow with the cover on unless your hitting bad weather.

BTW, why are you towing in January in the mountains?

cdstukey
01-14-2012, 11:08 PM
36 mph is considered a light breeze by Northern Colorado/Wyoming standards.

cpr05xtr
01-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Keep your speed down, remove your bimini top if possible. Make sure your trailer tire air pressure is correct because low tire pressure can make a trailer feel less stable.
If you have a good solid tow vehicle (longer wheelbase is always better) you should be fine.
I would not tow with the cover on unless your hitting bad weather.

BTW, why are you towing in January in the mountains?

Im towing in jan because i am buying the boat in colorado and pulling it to wyoming. And to answer the question of tow vehicle it is a 1 ton crew cab dodge diesel so im not worried about the vehicle stability im just worried about the boat blowing off of the trailer. Being in the business that i am i have seen alot of boats come through auction that have came off the trailer. THAT is what makes me nervous.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Im towing in jan because i am buying the boat in colorado and pulling it to wyoming. And to answer the question of tow vehicle it is a 1 ton crew cab dodge diesel so im not worried about the vehicle stability im just worried about the boat blowing off of the trailer. Being in the business that i am i have seen alot of boats come through auction that have came off the trailer. THAT is what makes me nervous.

Tie her down tight and good luck.

cdstukey
01-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Have tommys throw in a couple of transom straps, or if they won't and you don't have any, a rachet strap run from the trailer through the two transom tie down points and back to the trailer and you're good to go. You could also run an additional strap from the bow eye to the trailer, but in my opinion that would be over kill.

oldairboater
01-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Not enough wind to worry about. Just secure the boat to the trailer good. Like stated above I like the transom strapped down using the rear lifting lugs.

GoneBoatN
01-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Strap her down tight. Straps keep the trailer under the boat (not the boat on the trailer). Since you are buying the boat, be sure to check that the tires are in good shape. Check the pressure on the tires. In CA, max speed limit is 55 when trailer. I see plenty of people going 70+ with their boat. If it were me, I would keep to a slower speed limit expecially out on those open plains.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Strap her down tight. Straps keep the trailer under the boat (not the boat on the trailer). Since you are buying the boat, be sure to check that the tires are in good shape. Check the pressure on the tires. In CA, max speed limit is 55 when trailer. I see plenty of people going 70+ with their boat. If it were me, I would keep to a slower speed limit expecially out on those open plains.

I bet I could sell a bunch of speed rated ST tires.:rolleyes:

Thrall
01-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Don't leave the cover on if you have a substantial headwind and you're towing at freeway speeds (75+mph).
I shredded my perfectly good MC cover this summer towing the boat up to WA. Even though I usually DO NOT cover it, I had alot of boxes/belongings in it and chose to cover it.
After a couple hrs at 80mph into a 30+mph headwind, it began to tear in 2 different places.

If the roads are nasty then cover it only if you'll be driving slower, imo.
Don't worry about the boat blowing off the trailer.

The Podge
01-18-2012, 06:59 PM
I live in the area and have towed multiple times in very high wind. In fact, I just towed mine from North Carolina to Colorado. As others have said, I would leave the cover off since it can tear and will mark the boat. Keep your speed reasonable and you will be fine. Enjoy the new boat!

Willski
01-24-2012, 08:29 PM
I have never towed with cover. Too hard on it. I'm thinking that only effect the wind will have is pulling the trailer around making your truck ride a little less comfortable.