PDA

View Full Version : To invest or not? 2002 X-30 Refurbishing/Upgrades

DavidMCX30
01-04-2012, 12:55 PM
My 2002 X30 is at the point that it needs some significant investment in upholstery and the stereo. Upholstery is completely shot on back end and, because itís from the era of poor quality upholstery, I think I should do the entire boat rather than piece meal. (Beginning to see signs of wear up front, too.) In addition, my stereo is toastóhead unit and speakers all need to be replaced. Not sure about amps, but assuming they need to be replaced as well.

We love our X30 because of the size/layout/room as we are on a slip and need to carry our toys with us and like to have larger groups of people aboard. We also love it for wake surfing and wake boarding. I wish it had a better slalom wake, but I can certainly live with it. Besides normal maintenance issues, she runs like a champ.

My question is whether to invest a significant chunk of change on an older boat or not? We bought it two years ago with about 250 hours on it, and have put her to good use, adding another 300 hours ourselves (total of 550 hours). The upholstery was just showing signs of wear when we purchased the boat. Now I donít think I could get a good sale/trade-in price because of its worn condition and no functioning stereo.

Got a quote for a little over $5K on upholstery from a well-respected shop in Indianapolis. I will get another quote or two as well. Got a quote for $2K to put in new stereo/amp and speakers (not including tower speakers). So my guess is that all said and done, Iím looking at about $8K. Yikes.

Having said that, I consider our boat an investment in our family. Maybe one of the best investments weíve ever made. I think I am leaning to at least doing the upholstery in February and maybe shop around on stereo and consider trying to do that myself (although time is a big issue). The other option is to sell the boat and try to find something newer.

Thoughts?

JimN
01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Cheaper to keep 'er. The drop at trade-in would be enough to choke a horse but it's your call. Does a new boat do things yours doesn't, assuming yours had a working stereo and the upholstery is in good condition? If yes, maybe a new boat is what you need but if you'll come out ahead financially, by updating your boat, I would consider that.

It's an election year- there's no certainty, anyway.

scott023
01-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Is the motor still good? Is the hull? If so, it's worth putting the money into the boat. The amount you spend to improve your current boat will certainly be less than you going out and buying a new to you boat and taking a loss on selling your current boat with the deficiencies it has.

JohnE
01-04-2012, 02:18 PM
I'd put the money into your boat. You can install a new stereo with speakers for under a grand if you do it yourself. Upholstery isn't a necessity right now. You could maybe do a few pieces at a time as you get the money. (Maybe buy the fabric all at once so it matches.) Assuming the rest of the boat is in good condition.

agarabaghi
01-04-2012, 02:25 PM
I have an excel sheet with prices for a stereo ~1800 and it will bang. Lemme know, it is not hard to install a stereo...

cwarndahl
01-04-2012, 03:45 PM
i have my 01 x-10 for the past year i have been redoing the upholstery 5k is way to much to spend but you may be limited on people who do it there. my budy used these guys and he was real happy pull off your old and send it in and they do it for a fraction of the price
http://www.copycatupholstery.com/
stereos are cheap compared to the price of a new master craft. just keep the boat x-30 is real nice boat. unless you can afford the new x-25. but i hope you keep her. also fixed up the bit older boats fetch a nice price. my .02!

BTW 550 hours is nothing to be afraid of. i have 600 on mine and she's a champ, several people on here running 1200 to 1500, and i have heard rumor of over 2000 hours.

agarabaghi
01-04-2012, 04:38 PM
you are correct cwarndahl ... 1212 here on an 06...

bobx1
01-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Pay cash for the stereo and upholstery and ride around in a very relaxed mood with a huge smile for the next 10+ years.

BrooksfamX2
01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
you could put $10k into your boat or spend $70K+ on another,
$10K and take 3 months off work and hang at the lake and still be ahead on $$$$.............hmmmm

BrooksfamX2
01-04-2012, 06:16 PM
.....but new toys are very nice to get also........

kskonn
01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
I feel I am uniquely qualified to answer to respond to this post. I have an 03 X 30 I bought 2 years ago. Over the 2 years I redid the interior and dropped in a nice sound system. Great boat. I recently got a good deal on a new X2 so I bought it and am about to sell my X30. The main reason I went to the X2 was it was the correct size for the lake and I moved to the lake so i don't need to haul gear around. I loved the X30 and based on what they are selling for around here It looks like I will be able to break even on the boat including all the money I spend getting the boat in top shape. If you are really happy with the X30 I would put the money into it knowing you can probably sell it with not much consequence due to the large market of people looking for the larger boats on the used market. The cost of the X25, X35 malibu 23lsv etc... have been the best thing for the resale on those older X30's.

I will let you know what mine sells for once I put it on the market.

DavidMCX30
01-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. As a first-time boat owner, this helps put my mind at ease that investing in our boat makes sense. I was 80 percent there but threw it out to the group to get some additional input. Good news is that my wife is fully on board as well. I was just having a bit of the pucker factor at the cost!

agarabaghi – I will send you PM on taking you up on your offer for the excel document with stereo prices.

Thanks!

Thrall
01-05-2012, 09:35 PM
If you do some good shopping around and install yourself, you can get a good sounding stereo system for about a grand. Like agrab.......... said, close to $2k and you can have a LOUD system (install yourself).
Not that hard to do is subjective. Same goes for the upholstery. If you have several weekends to work on the boat (look at it as quality time with your boat, hahaha) and some basic/decent mech ability you can buy the skins for less than $5k and install them yourself and put a stereo in it. May as well do the carpet too, 'nother few hundred and more quality time with your boat.
So, to repeat what most have said $5-8k depending on who's doing the labor and you have basically a new boat. 600hrs is nothing and I found out going from a MC with 500hrs to one with 50hrs, there's just as much maint/repair/upkeep involved with both. If it's a good boat already, well kept, maintained, etc you're probably best off to re-do it. The interior will hurt resale almost as bad as "major" damage IMO, because it's unsightly when you're selling.
ANd you're not going to find a good slalomn wake in any newer boat that size anyway.

51timber
01-08-2012, 07:29 AM
I have a 2003 x30. We love it! You just cant beat the size for all the people you can carry without breaking the bank!i just upgraded the sound system. I got a clarion cmd 6 for about $300. New speakers the clarion components are about $95 on amazon. ($300 if set of 3) new alpine sub $150 two new amps $500 to $800 depending on your tastes. So $1250 to $1550 ish.

It is easy to replace if all the wires are good. By the tiMe your done taking the tax hits and or trade hits youll come out way better updating.

onewheat
01-11-2012, 11:27 PM
I have a friend with an X-30 who bought new skins from MC (the new textured, stay-cool material) and replaced it all themselves. Get a good staple gun with stainless staples. It's not that hard. You may need to buy a few pieces of foam for the most used seats too. I can't attest to his costs, but I know it wasn't anywhere near $5k.

mastercraft210
01-12-2012, 01:33 AM
i have my 01 x-10 for the past year i have been redoing the upholstery 5k is way to much to spend but you may be limited on people who do it there. my budy used these guys and he was real happy pull off your old and send it in and they do it for a fraction of the price
http://www.copycatupholstery.com/
stereos are cheap compared to the price of a new master craft. just keep the boat x-30 is real nice boat. unless you can afford the new x-25. but i hope you keep her. also fixed up the bit older boats fetch a nice price. my .02!

BTW 550 hours is nothing to be afraid of. i have 600 on mine and she's a champ, several people on here running 1200 to 1500, and i have heard rumor of over 2000 hours.We have more then one boats in maintenance with 3000 or more hrs on it.I checked the compression from one of them and it was still 12 bar on all cilinders.And still running fine.
So 500 hr is nothing.Here in the Netherland they will drive those hrs in 2 years.

wheelerd
01-12-2012, 02:07 AM
I'll add my vote to doing the upgrade on your current ride. As long as the hull and mechanical aspects are in good shape, redoing the interior and stereo -- as much of it as you can yourself -- will certainly make your pocket book happy, but even more importantly, add to your pride of ownership. I've worked on numerous cars and boats, and it's that satisfaction of knowing "there's a piece of me in this" that brings me the greatest satisfaction.

I completely redid my former TriStar from bow to stern -- upholstery, carpeting, stereo, carb, prop -- and sold it for more than I paid for it even after two years of use and with 1000 hrs.

Stritt
01-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Upgrade...I think it was mentioned before look at sonix electronics for stereo stuff.

I ordered 3 pairs of Polk MM 651um for $133 per set
A MB 6 channel AMP for $186 (included installation kit)
Kicker 12" Sub around $60.
Sony Head unit for $90
New Speaker Wire $70 bought @ Lowes for 200 foot)

The speakers sound great, the sub shakes the boat.....We aren't going to win any contest but it sounds good for us.

Jeff d
01-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Polk Audio has some new class D amps that are Marine Certified and pretty reasonably priced. I just ordered a 5 ch (100x4 RMS @ 2 ohms + 500x1 RMS @ 1 ohm) for $323. It should be here tomorrow. That should be enough to power 8 full range speakers and 1 or 2 subs with plenty of power for most people's needs in a really compact package.

Last season I caught the Polk DB651s (Not quite as nice as Stritt's 651UMs) on sale for $50 per pair from Crutchfield. They can handle 100 watts RMS which should be plenty for most people's needs.

agarabaghi
01-12-2012, 11:35 AM
audiopipe has a great selection of marine grade amps. Im running 2 of the apmr1300 strapped together to push 2000w to a 10" sub .... they also have 4 channel amps as well, small footprint and cheap.

Jeff d
01-12-2012, 03:03 PM
audiopipe has a great selection of marine grade amps. Im running 2 of the apmr1300 strapped together to push 2000w to a 10" sub .... they also have 4 channel amps as well, small footprint and cheap.

The mono sub amps are class D but not the multi channel models. They're AB so will be less efficient and generally run hotter than a full range class D. Still will get the job done but will likely give worse runtime on battery and would be more likely to go into protection mode on a hot day in an enclosed compartment.