PDA

View Full Version : MC Flake

Barefooter92
12-23-2011, 07:54 AM
We all love flake paint on the MasterCraft hulls, has anyone ever added flake to a non-flake boat? I was looking at mine in the photos today and notice if I could just add flake to my stripes it would look cool:cool:

Any ideas?

jakethebt
12-23-2011, 09:54 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

BrooksfamX2
12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
The new boats "flake" is in the gelcoat. I have seen metal flake paint on other boats before though....mostly on the 70's-80's day cruisers.......:rolleyes:

Jerseydave
12-23-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm not a painter but I'm sure it can be done.
Talk to a paint shop that paints a lot of Corvettes. Maybe there is metalflake paint or real heavy metallic paint that would look nice on your boat. I think they use clear coat over the paint.

How do MC boat dealers repair damaged metalflake? Just curious.....

FourFourty
12-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm not a painter but I'm sure it can be done.
Talk to a paint shop that paints a lot of Corvettes. Maybe there is metalflake paint or real heavy metallic paint that would look nice on your boat. I think they use clear coat over the paint.

The flake cant be sprayed through an air-spray gun. The particles are too big. The one time that I saw a flake boat being repaired, the guy was applying clear gel with a decal squeegie, and blowing the flake into it with a mcdonalds straw. haha. He said it is an "art form". I have heard from several people that fixing flake is not easy, and that very few can do it well.

sand2snow22
12-23-2011, 10:46 AM

They use metalflake gelcoat. I've heard metalflake is the hardest to match, followed by the color yellow! White is the easiest

scott023
12-23-2011, 10:53 AM
They use metalflake gelcoat. I've heard metalflake is the hardest to match, followed by the color yellow! White is the easiest

I've heard that from a few guys that have tried to get repairs done as well...

ahhudgins
12-23-2011, 11:01 AM
The flake cant be sprayed through an air-spray gun. The particles are too big. The one time that I saw a flake boat being repaired, the guy was applying clear gel with a decal squeegie, and blowing the flake into it with a mcdonalds straw. haha. He said it is an "art form". I have heard from several people that fixing flake is not easy, and that very few can do it well.

It has been a long time, but that's the same thing my MC dealer told me when I asked about redoing the flake on my 79 S&S. After talking to a few guys at MC I decided to get rid of the boat rather than spend a huge chunk of change redoing the entire boat.

As others have mentioned, I would think a paint shop could do a "metallic" look, it just wouldn't have the larger flakes.

FourFourty
12-23-2011, 11:05 AM
As others have mentioned, I would think a paint shop could do a "metallic" look, it just wouldn't have the larger flakes.

They can easily do that, for sure. Painting a boat doesnt help with the resale much.... If OP is ok with just a "Metallic" look, he could just have a graphic designer and decal shop take care of his stripes... They make metallic vinyl

jason95gt
12-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Our gel tech changed an X-45 from black in the back to Fire Red Flake. It isn't as hard as it sounds. Just time consuming. Turned out amazing. Easier to do if you have a black gel scheme to begin with.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Flake can indeed be sprayed through a gun and flake can be added with a clear coat over an existing color. The guys that do flake are pretty specialized. I would definitely want to see some work, but it is certainly possible. It is on the list for my boat at some point.

scott023
12-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Our gel tech changed an X-45 from black in the back to Fire Red Flake. It isn't as hard as it sounds. Just time consuming. Turned out amazing. Easier to do if you have a black gel scheme to begin with.

How much does something like this cost?

FourFourty
12-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Flake can indeed be sprayed through a gun.

I said it cant be Air Sprayed 8p

It can be sprayed through a specialized airless setup. Which is how it is done at the factory. There are not many of those setups around, because they cost big big money.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-23-2011, 11:42 AM
I said it cant be Air Sprayed 8p

It can be sprayed through a specialized airless setup. Which is how it is done at the factory. There are not many of those setups around, because they cost big big money.

It must have been the McDonald's straw that threw me off.:D

FourFourty
12-23-2011, 11:53 AM
I will just put his here for the OP :D

http://www.topvinylfilms.com/products/Ultra_Metallic_Vinyl-8-8.html?gclid=CL3wpLzTmK0CFcZM4AodzB1iQA

This is what I would do, if it is just the stripe that you want.

rgardjr1
12-23-2011, 12:41 PM
I will just put his here for the OP :D

http://www.topvinylfilms.com/products/Ultra_Metallic_Vinyl-8-8.html?gclid=CL3wpLzTmK0CFcZM4AodzB1iQA

This is what I would do, if it is just the stripe that you want.

I made some decals and registration numbers out of this last year. It looks great in the sun. You can't tell from this picture, but there is a silver flake border around the red flake. Don't have any pictures at work, but this is one I have posted here before:

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=761603&postcount=722

firstMCsoon
12-24-2011, 12:08 AM
any pics of the x45 converted?

waterlogged882
12-24-2011, 06:49 AM

Covi
12-24-2011, 07:00 AM
I spoke to Jim @ Baws about possibly doing metal flake to my stripes when the time comes. I never saw the quote? I think it would be awesome. Metal flake stripes to compliment the original color of them? I love metal flake.

waterlogged882
12-24-2011, 07:27 AM

jason95gt
12-27-2011, 03:06 PM
I will try to put some up on our facebook page of the before and after since I don't have the pictures on a website.

Barefooter92
12-29-2011, 09:32 PM
i calculated the topvinyl option for a grey and black stripe front to back and it would be close to $1,000. Might talk to the local body shop and check prices there. Looks like a project for next year.

jason95gt
12-30-2011, 11:29 AM
The vinyl is a much cheaper route. Depending on what you want done it is easily over $1000 for flake.

rgardjr1
12-30-2011, 01:57 PM
i calculated the topvinyl option for a grey and black stripe front to back and it would be close to $1,000. Might talk to the local body shop and check prices there. Looks like a project for next year.

Here are a couple of links to the FDC 3700 Series vinyl I used for my decals:

Manufacturers page:
http://www.fdcfilms.com/index.php?p=brand&bid=1&sid=11&sub=0

Website that I bought mine through:
http://www.specialty-graphics.com/fdc_3700_series_ultra_metallic_premium_cast_vinyl_ film.html

The manufacturers site shows 10", 8", 6", 5", 4", 3", 2", 1", 3/4", 1/2", 3/8" & 1/4" rolls available. Not exactly sure what your design is but if you just wanted stripes I know that the vinyl won't cost anywhere close to $1000. 50 yards of 8" is $200 which should be enough to do a stripe the full length both sides a couple of times. Now if you were wanting designs cut into the vinyl it might start to get more expensive ...

waterlogged882
12-30-2011, 03:54 PM

rgardjr1
12-30-2011, 04:58 PM
What did you do to your boat, with the vinyl?

The registration numbers, WSU Logo and the Mastercraft on the rear:

http://greenacresgypsum.com/boat01.JPG