PDA

View Full Version : How long does a custom build take?

bjames
12-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Not including delivery, just build time.

scott023
12-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Should get some interesting answers to this one... there will certainly be some discrepancies.

FourFourty
12-20-2011, 06:36 PM
I think it all depends on when you order..... I think it varies a lot, depending on time of year. My '11 X25 was ordered in late november, and I watched it come off the line on the 26th of January. I ordered my 2012 X25 about two weeks ago..... They told my dealer that it would probably build in late january again, however, it will probably be held up because I want the ZFT4 tower. (I am waiting on pics of the ZFT4 on a boat.)

Sullivan
12-20-2011, 06:51 PM
8 to 12 weeks for my 197 WTTs

erkoehler
12-20-2011, 07:16 PM
6-7 weeks is a quick turn around.

12-20-2011, 08:47 PM
1) the process starts with getting a start date.
2) An order placed today does not mean that the boat will finish in 6-8 weeks
3) For instance I have a X14 that started today and will finish on Jan 11...total build time is approx 2 weeks.
4) A dealer has a FIRM start and finish date. Basically 100% of all slots are allocated and
submiited for by dealers in advance during there ordering periods by commiting to "X" amonts of boats during the year.
5) Sometimes dealers can get additional slots depending on what is available from cancellations from other dealers.

bjames
12-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Sorry i should have given more details. My scheduled start date is Jan 8th. We were able to select this date a few months back. We really didnt discuss a finish date as i wont be able to take delivery till spring anyways, I was more courious of how log the build takes. I have heard other mfgs (MB I think) take as little as 2 weeks for the build out process, excluding delivery.

scott023
12-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Sorry i should have given more details. My scheduled start date is Jan 8th. We were able to select this date a few months back. We really didnt discuss a finish date as i wont be able to take delivery till spring anyways, I was more courious of how log the build takes. I have heard other mfgs (MB I think) take as little as 2 weeks for the build out process, excluding delivery.

Wow. If that's true, it certainly explains a lot...

CantRepeat
12-21-2011, 12:07 PM
1) the process starts with getting a start date.
2) An order placed today does not mean that the boat will finish in 6-8 weeks
3) For instance I have a X14 that started today and will finish on Jan 11...total build time is approx 2 weeks.
4) A dealer has a FIRM start and finish date. Basically 100% of all slots are allocated and
submiited for by dealers in advance during there ordering periods by commiting to "X" amonts of boats during the year.
5) Sometimes dealers can get additional slots depending on what is available from cancellations from other dealers.

Wow. If that's true, it certainly explains a lot...

lol, that it takes just as long to build an MC and it does an MB? 8p

ddanenberger
12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
For our's, once we got the build date it was finished in a couple weeks. So about 10 business days, then out the door.

scott023
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
lol, that it takes just as long to build an MC and it does an MB? 8p

Apparently. That's not the time frame we were told when we toured the factory, but I suppose they're putting out considerably less boats now.

CantRepeat
12-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Apparently. That's not the time frame we were told when we toured the factory, but I suppose they're putting out considerably less boats now.

I find it hard to believe that from empty mold to out the door could be just two weeks for any boat. I would think on a multi color hull that would be a week all by its self??

bjames
12-21-2011, 03:18 PM
I find it hard to believe that from empty mold to out the door could be just two weeks for any boat. I would think on a multi color hull that would be a week all by its self??

I can see them building a boat in 10 days. Assuming that a lot of the components are already assembles as sub-assemblies. Then its a matter of just putting all the parts together. Has anyone ever assembled an RC helicopter or car, probably the same thing but at a larger scale.:D

scott023
12-21-2011, 03:33 PM

That's what my impression was at the factory too...

Nick911
12-21-2011, 05:19 PM
My 25 just went "red" today which means that my options and colors are locked it. I'm told things like upholstery start getting built soon, even though my build date is in late Jan.

Bjames, our boats should arrive on same truck, love your colours!

Sullivan
12-21-2011, 05:34 PM
That's what my impression was at the factory too...

I'm pretty sure they can do more than one component of the boat at a time.

Yellow X9
12-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Im sure it no different than building a vehicle- once the build is finalized, the assembly line starts

jwardenjr
12-21-2011, 08:56 PM
It took 2 weeks to build my X-25 but 6 weeks to get it to the dealer

EA2010
12-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Not including delivery, just build time.

I ordered my X-25 on Oct 22 and it arrived in Calgary yesterday. Going to go see her on Friday! :D

FourFourty
12-22-2011, 07:25 AM
I'm told things like upholstery start getting built soon, even though my build date is in late Jan.

Upholstry is actually the last thing that gets manufactured.... They don't even start the upholstry till the boat is at the end of the production line. I watched them do the upholstry for my boat last year. They had about 10 people cutting/fitting/sewing etc.... and two guys installing the upholstry as they finished with it.

My 25 just went red also. Production scheduled to start on Jan 9th. I am doing the factory tour again this year on Jan 19th.

scott023
12-22-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm pretty sure they can do more than one component of the boat at a time.

Have you toured the factory? The boat gets moved around the factory, from station to station. They didn't do more than one at a time back in 2008.

Unless something has changed?

FourFourty
12-22-2011, 09:14 AM
^ They still dont..... Its still an assembly line. One stage at a time