PDA

View Full Version : 99 Sammy Limited Q?

h2oskifreak
12-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Looking at a 99 SD Limited 190 and owner loves his boat just doesn't know the specs. very well.
It's got the LT-1, but does that mean it has a slot, or could it be 1;1 transmition?

I have the hull ID # as well if there is information there that would help me. Quick replies appreciated, as I may have to pull the trigger fast on this one.

tph
12-20-2011, 01:37 AM
I thought those came with the corvette engine and the northstar system. Not sure about the slot.

Jerseydave
12-20-2011, 02:41 AM
Tag on the trans will either say 1:1 ratio or 1.5:1 ratio

1" diameter propshaft on a 1:1
1 1/4" diameter on a slot

slot uses 14 X 18 prop usually
1:1 uses 13 X 13 prop usually

Table Rocker
12-20-2011, 08:02 AM
You might want to double check the engine as well. After reading your post, I searched listings for '99 Sammys and found one listed as an LT-1 which showed a pic of the LTR engine. It looks like the LTR replaced the LT-1 in '99. It is not really a big difference, but shows the owners knowledge of his boat which you already knew was limited. Are you looking at the boat that spent it's life on Lake Tahoe?
http://images.craigslist.org/5V45U35S43Fb3p23l7bcff57fc3fe39c619ae.jpg

h2oskifreak
12-20-2011, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=Table Rocker;807092]You might want to double check the engine as well. After reading your post, I searched listings for '99 Sammys and found one listed as an LT-1 which showed a pic of the LTR engine. It looks like the LTR replaced the LT-1 in '99. It is not really a big difference, but shows the owners knowledge of his boat which you already knew was limited. Are you looking at the boat that spent it's life on Lake Tahoe?
http://images.craigslist.org/5V45U35S43Fb3p23l7bcff57fc3fe39c619ae.jpg[/QUOTE

Yes, do you have any input for me on that specific boat?

Table Rocker
12-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Yes, do you have any input for me on that specific boat?
No, but it looks to be a very good deal. I understand why you feel the need for action!

I would just issue a word of caution. Don't let yourself get in too big of a hurry to exercise your due diligence, and trust nobody.

I would add, sometimes people who can't answer questions about boats don't have boats. Watch out for requests for deposits and PayPal transactions. You might tell the guy you have a friend in the area that can look at the boat for you and see how he acts.

h2oskifreak
12-20-2011, 09:37 AM
No, but it looks to be a very good deal. I understand why you feel the need for action!

I would just issue a word of caution. Don't let yourself get in too big of a hurry to exercise your due diligence, and trust nobody.

Good advice. The seller says there is a guy looking at it tomorrow with intentions of shipping it to Australia. Says this model is hot down there. Hard to believe there could be profit after shipping and all involved, but maybe there is. I wish the boat was closer to me. I am about 1K miles away, so I asked for more pics. and we'll see what happens.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Good advice. The seller says there is a guy looking at it tomorrow with intentions of shipping it to Australia. Says this model is hot down there. Hard to believe there could be profit after shipping and all involved, but maybe there is. I wish the boat was closer to me. I am about 1K miles away, so I asked for more pics. and we'll see what happens.

When my brother was selling his 1970 Ford Torino Cobra, he had a guy from down under very interested. This guy knew everything about this car and had every spec at his fingertips....I guess something you would need if you are buying something really long distance. If the owner of the boat can't provide the info you ask for because he isn't knowledgeable, he may just need some specific direction to provide the answers you seek.

BrianM
12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
98-00 is the least desirable of the Prostar 190 hulls. Price accordingly.

As to your question the engine choice had no bearing on transmission choice. It could have either the Powerslot or 1:1. Look for the tag. Also the Powerslot has a big 'lobe' that kind of hangs off one side.

Jerseydave
12-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Have the seller text you a pic of the Hull # since you know what it is anyway.
Can't be too careful these days. (Personally I get suspicious of high dollar items on craigslist, but that's just me) :)

As BrianM says, that year hull is not the most desirable.

A super clean '94 might be a better buy......if you can find one!

h2oskifreak
12-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Have the seller text you a pic of the Hull # since you know what it is anyway.
Can't be too careful these days. (Personally I get suspicious of high dollar items on craigslist, but that's just me) :)

As BrianM says, that year hull is not the most desirable.

A super clean '94 might be a better buy......if you can find one!

Great point on the hull year, Brian.

I have been looking for that exact thing a clean early 90's but missed a couple and most are high hour boats. I get into 35 and a ball or two at 38 on my best days, so need to upgrade my old non speed controled S & S. Budget is big for me as I am in the Realty business and we all know that's tough sleeding. I know it's asking a lot to get an older boat in impressive condition. I would pay a premuim for the early 90's as long as condition warranted.

Don't want/need monkey bars or a banging stereo, just an old school course skier wanting a reliable next step up at a fair price.

Anybody have a line on one, thinking of moving up? I'm in Colorado. P.M. me if you know of something. Thanks, Ron

BrianM
12-21-2011, 11:06 AM

I have been looking for that exact thing a clean early 90's but missed a couple and most are high hour boats. I get into 35 and a ball or two at 38 on my best days, so need to upgrade my old non speed controled S & S. Budget is big for me as I am in the Realty business and we all know that's tough sleeding. I know it's asking a lot to get an older boat in impressive condition. I would pay a premuim for the early 90's as long as condition warranted.

Don't want/need monkey bars or a banging stereo, just an old school course skier wanting a reliable next step up at a fair price.

Anybody have a line on one, thinking of moving up? I'm in Colorado. P.M. me if you know of something. Thanks, Ron

Keep your eye out for a clean 95-97. No spray at the shorter lengths you are skiing like the prior years and an incredible wake. Add Stargazer and be happy. Should be able to find a clean lower hours boat in the low teens.

jipster43
12-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Weren't the big issues with the '98 hull? I was under the impression that they had ironed most of the problems out by '99. It's a shame, 'cause I love the '98 30th anniversary. Also, wouldn't a Sammy Duvall edition have the powerslot? I've always assumed that was part of their deal, but I guess that's the problem with assuming something.

JP :)

Shooter McKevin
12-22-2011, 11:33 AM

In the ebay/craigslist thread today - http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=807505&postcount=4617

Not exactly close to you though.

BrianM
12-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Weren't the big issues with the '98 hull? I was under the impression that they had ironed most of the problems out by '99. It's a shame, 'cause I love the '98 30th anniversary. Also, wouldn't a Sammy Duvall edition have the powerslot? I've always assumed that was part of their deal, but I guess that's the problem with assuming something.

98-00 hull is all the same. They band aided the issues by retrofitting a winged rudder and 'hydro-rails' to the 98 hulls and then continued to install these 'fixes' on the hull through 2000. Only slight top deck and interior changes through those three years. Most will tell you that the wake on this hull is very hard compared to prior years and the handling is nowhere near as nimble.

I spent a lot of time skiing and driving a 98. Its an ok boat but for course skiing was a large step backwards from 97.

h2oskifreak
12-22-2011, 01:37 PM
In the ebay/craigslist thread today - http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=807505&postcount=4617

Not exactly close to you though.

Shooter, I appreciate thesuggestion, but that isn't the boat 4 me. Not clean enough, don't need/want the tower.

I am backing off the 98 SD for the hull reason. I need to stay affordable, but just looking for a clean, low hour, ski machine. I can add the speed control.

Bouyhead
12-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Keep your eye out for a clean 95-97. No spray at the shorter lengths you are skiing like the prior years and an incredible wake. Add Stargazer and be happy. Should be able to find a clean lower hours boat in the low teens.

Yesireee. IMHO which is biased you can't beat the 95-97 PS as an affordable slalom tug. All bases are covered as far as slalom goes, and it has great lines. It's about time the 95-97 PS knocked the 94 PS down one click as MC's best affordable slalom machine.

dski12
12-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Check this one out on Craigs List in Tampa. This looks like one that might fit the bill.

Nice Master Craft Pro Star 190 ski-boat runs great. 1994 model with 370 original hours. Garage kept with no fading and interior near perfect with no tears or cracks. V8 inboard 5.7L 290HP with lots of power. EFI electronic fuel injection starts right up with one turn of the key. Needs nothing ready to ski and wakeboard. Includes heavy duty double axle trailer with no rust.
Reference Nautique Correct Craft Malibu . $9800 NW Tampa Odessa. call(813)765--7712

dski12
12-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Here is the link to the 1994 in Tampa. http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/2717326815.html

Table Rocker
12-22-2011, 04:17 PM
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/2755713927.html

http://images.craigslist.org/5V55T25W53nc3F73o0bcf84f5332902ac18d1.jpg

Shooter McKevin
12-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Shooter, I appreciate thesuggestion, but that isn't the boat 4 me. Not clean enough, don't need/want the tower.

I am backing off the 98 SD for the hull reason. I need to stay affordable, but just looking for a clean, low hour, ski machine. I can add the speed control.

Ha Ha, I linked the wrong one. I was thinking "tower, what's he talking about tower" This is the one I meant.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=807507&postcount=4619

Seems too good to be true. The next poster confirms it's a scam.

east tx skier
12-22-2011, 06:01 PM
There is 94 and a 93 S&S on this page. Both have LT-1s and ugly as sin towers. Use the towers to negotiate down and then sell them so you can pay to fix the holes. Both are priced on the cheaper end. Personally, I'd go for the red 93 with the LT-1 and 530 hours.

http://www.dallasboats4sale.com/index.asp?boat_type=46&boatname=Mastercraft

Jerseydave
12-22-2011, 08:49 PM
There is 94 and a 93 S&S on this page. Both have LT-1s and ugly as sin towers. Use the towers to negotiate down and then sell them so you can pay to fix the holes. Both are priced on the cheaper end. Personally, I'd go for the red 93 with the LT-1 and 530 hours.

http://www.dallasboats4sale.com/index.asp?boat_type=46&boatname=Mastercraft

Shame on that owner for drilling holes in that '93 S&S for a tower!
Buy it for $12K, sell tower, fix holes like eastie said.

jipster43
12-22-2011, 11:46 PM
That '93 S&S with the LT-1 looks like a boat that has been on the market for a couple of years now. I think someone on here drove several hundred miles to check it out only to find that it had a lot of unpublished problems. The '94 looks like it has been well cared for.