PDA

View Full Version : Docking into slip with non-swivel racks?

jafo9
12-17-2011, 06:28 AM
This may be a silly question, but my search didn't reveal the answer. Our current boat is a 25ft pontoon that acts like a giant sail in the wind. Our dock is covered and the slip is 10ft wide and 28ft deep. We are at the end of a slough with the opening of the slip pretty much perpendicular to the slough. The wind/current is usually pushing from the mouth of the slough to the end. This can make docking a challenge on a windy day. There are roof support poles that are pretty close to the edge of the slip lining both sides so if you hit the side bumpers you only have a few inches clearance for the boat not to contact the poles.

So.. we are looking at early 2000's MC's which will likely have the 2nd generation zero flex or a new dimensions tower with the fixed board racks. how far out does a loaded rack stick out? how do folks get their boats into their slips with a cross wind without whacking off a rack? do you have to unload the boards every time you dock?

thanks.

Jerseydave
12-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Not sure if the racks will present a problem, but you will most likely have to remove wakeboards.
Perhaps when you tie up the boat you can position it so the racks are between your uprights.

BTW, 2003 used sliding racks that are cumbersome to use and hard to get parts for so you may want to stay away from that year.

CruisinGA
12-17-2011, 09:23 AM
No problem docking our 01 x9 into a slip That is also 10ft and perpendicular to typical wind current. You'll be fine.

-V-
12-17-2011, 11:03 AM
sounds fun docking with alot of current and wind........

jafo9
12-17-2011, 05:55 PM
so with the current boat, we just let it slide along whatever side it is pushed against and the bumper acts as a buffer. i'm assuming if i do that (even with an unloaded board rack it will smash into the roof supports. is there a trick to keeping the racks out of the supports when docking or is it simply using passengers to hand guide the racks around the supports? thanks.

jwardenjr
12-18-2011, 04:13 PM
I have 12" wide dock with a canopy and without the swivel racks on my 2012 X-25 they will hit ... as a matter of fact we forgot one day and scraped the edge of my daughters board ...

fskof
12-18-2011, 08:37 PM
On my 2003 prostar 209 the board racks does not stick out any furthor then the width of the boat. You can see in the pic (sorry for bad pic) the tower gets narrow on top

mellig
12-20-2011, 08:20 PM
I have an '04 with the fixed board racks with a 10 ft wide slip that required a tight entry with a very active lake during the summer. Two tricks I use in these conditions, (1) always remove boards from the racks or (2) if I get caught in heavy conditions, I drive the boat into the slip only as far as the bow, then walk the boat into the slip using the rack to keep it off the dock and into the slip... I am sure not the ideally answer you are looking, but use some caution and you shouldn't have any problem.

sp00ky
12-20-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't have an issue except with backing out sometimes. Rack is only on one side though