PDA

View Full Version : Go Pro camera attachments?

87MCProstar
12-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Hey guys/gals,

i have a quick question about the go pro suction cup attachment. Do you think it is strong enough to hold on the metal coping of a competitive swimming pool? I coach an age group YMCA team and looking to get one for the program due to is extreme waterproofing. I'm debating between the suction cup mount or just the tripod mount and buying a cheap tripod to be placed in the pool.

thanks

rgardjr1
12-15-2011, 01:50 PM
We played around with my cousins last summer on our surfboard. The mount for the surfboard had some 3M tape that held it to the surfboard and then camera attached to the mount. Only used it for a day and a half because the camera had issues, but it didn't look like there was any chance that the camera was going anywhere.

JBrew
12-15-2011, 01:52 PM
From my experience using on a boat/car, yes it is strong enough.

87MCProstar
12-15-2011, 01:53 PM
what was wrong with camera? anything that would cause you not to buy one? yeah the suction cup mount is removeable, kinda like the satelite radio car kit. I may just take that outta my car to see if the mount will work on the pool wall. but i think the safer bet is just the tripod, idk though

anyone else with experience?

JBrew
12-15-2011, 01:55 PM
We played around with my cousins last summer on our surfboard. The mount for the surfboard had some 3M tape that held it to the surfboard and then camera attached to the mount. Only used it for a day and a half because the camera had issues, but it didn't look like there was any chance that the camera was going anywhere.

what was wrong with the camera? Never had any issues with mine...

vision
12-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Hey guys/gals,

i have a quick question about the go pro suction cup attachment. Do you think it is strong enough to hold on the metal coping of a competitive swimming pool? I coach an age group YMCA team and looking to get one for the program due to is extreme waterproofing. I'm debating between the suction cup mount or just the tripod mount and buying a cheap tripod to be placed in the pool.

thanks

I attach it to the windshield of our X-star as well as the fiberglass near the rear cleat using the suction cup and it has never released despite some rough water jolts.

rgardjr1
12-15-2011, 05:18 PM
what was wrong with the camera? Never had any issues with mine...

I think it had something to do with the battery and not recharging. Sounded like they took care of my cousin once he called the company and told them about his problem. I just know that on that second day of wake surfing I was first up and I was getting yelled at for being an idiot for not knowing how to get the camera going. Once it was my cousin's turn I was vindicated because it was determine not to be operator error and was a hardware issue.

87MCProstar
12-16-2011, 08:17 AM
okay i think this helps, but if i go suction cup route it will be completely submerged. does that change your guys feelings?

vision
12-16-2011, 10:05 AM
okay i think this helps, but if i go suction cup route it will be completely submerged. does that change your guys feelings?

If the railing is wet when you attach the suction cup, I do not believe it will work.

JBrew
12-16-2011, 11:05 AM
If the railing is wet when you attach the suction cup, I do not believe it will work.

I just did a test in the bath tub and found it to be the opposite. The seal was much stronger under water. I had to slide the suction cup all the way up the side of the tube and off to get it to release.

willyt
12-16-2011, 11:31 AM
why were you filming yourself in the bath tub underwater with a go pro... freak.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Tiffany know about this bath tub experiment?

87MCProstar
12-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Did u place on the tub when it was full or filling?

CottagerGreg
12-16-2011, 11:37 AM
underwater video of a gopro requires a flat lens housing. The curved glass it comes with will cause fuzzy video and images.

I learned the hard way as I tried to use for scuba diving. I just got my hero2 cam just before my vacation.

87MCProstar
12-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Do they make a fkat screen housing?

CottagerGreg
12-18-2011, 08:24 PM
it its third party.... rumor has it the GoPro is making an OEM version... just not out yet

JBrew
12-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Tiffany know about this bath tub experiment?

Well one I wasn't in the tub... And two yes she knows... Think about it ;)

Did u place on the tub when it was full or filling?

When it was full

Quinten
12-19-2011, 01:22 PM
it its third party.... rumor has it the GoPro is making an OEM version... just not out yet

Do you know wich company? And is it as safe as the originel housing? The flat lens

JBrew
12-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Do you know wich company? And is it as safe as the originel housing? The flat lens

Check out the folks at eye of mine. Very knowledgeable.

http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/order-gopro-hero.html#underwater

87MCProstar
12-20-2011, 08:13 AM
I picked up a Go Pro Naked at best buy this weekend, grabed the tripod attachment and tripod. dropped in the pool and worked great. Images are clear than any other 'underwater' camera for swimming that I have used. Very satisfied. Thanks for the input everyone, thats what made me go out and drop the $ to try.

Quinten
12-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Check out the folks at eye of mine. Very knowledgeable.

http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/order-gopro-hero.html#underwater

Thanks, there are more good products that are useable. :)

SkiDog
12-21-2011, 09:00 AM
What a cool a$$ website! Those eyeglasses camera is the BOMB! Gotta get a pair of them!:D