PDA

View Full Version : Starting after winterizing

P Mishan
12-13-2011, 01:53 PM
2004 X Star I have winterized the boat filled up the block with anti- freeze. I need to start the boat for 1 min. then leave it for the winter. Can that be done and retain the antifreeze in the block?

-V-
12-13-2011, 01:56 PM
what would you need to start the boat for 1 minute for?

captain planet
12-13-2011, 02:00 PM
You ended your sentence in a preposition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4XCZfkGF8k

......to answer the question, you run the risk of ruining your impellar if you run it without fluid running past it.

-V-
12-13-2011, 02:02 PM
:DYou ended your sentence in a preposition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4XCZfkGF8k

......to answer the question, you run the risk of ruining your impellar if you run it without fluid running past it.

What would be the reason for starting your engine for an estimated time of one minute?

:D

P Mishan
12-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Trying to sell it, have a customer might buy it wants to hear The engine, I just realized I conceded more antifreeze for that minute. Thanks

NatesGr8
12-13-2011, 04:02 PM
I think you'll have to re-fog the cylinders as well as hook up the engine to a water or antifreeze source. Chances are he'll want to "hear" the engine for much longer than 1 minute.

P Mishan
12-13-2011, 04:08 PM
thanks for the advice I totally forgot about the fogging

thatsmrmastercraft
12-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Not much of an expense to re-winterize it if it doesn't sell. If he does buy it.....he can winterize it.

P Mishan
12-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I have enough Flogging oil and antifreeze left...

tommyadrian5
12-13-2011, 05:48 PM
If you have a flush adaptor and a couple buckets you can set up a circulation system for the antifreeze and run the engine for several minutes without even having to re-winterize it.

P Mishan
12-13-2011, 05:52 PM
when I originally winterized it I disconnected the pipe from the raw water pump going to the bottom of the boat from the bottom of the boat, put the pipe in a bucket of antifreeze and suck it up until it came out the bottom. This much I know, please detail where the other pipe is to put in another bucket

Jerseydave
12-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Tell the buyer if it starts and runs fine he has to buy it...otherwise he owes you for the a/f.

If it runs fine you should have nothing to worry about, right?

tommyadrian5
12-13-2011, 06:08 PM
when I originally winterized it I disconnected the pipe from the raw water pump going to the bottom of the boat from the bottom of the boat, put the pipe in a bucket of antifreeze and suck it up until it came out the bottom. This much I know, please detail where the other pipe is to put in another bucket

You would need a flush adaptor to have a closed system (for suction), the hose from the flush adaptor would go into the bucket.

P Mishan
12-13-2011, 06:17 PM
can you send me a link to a picture of a flush adapter? And where is the hose from the flush adapter

tommyadrian5
12-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Judging from your answer I assume you don't have one

http://www.go2marine.com/product/93034F/perko-flush-pro-marine-engine-flushing-winterizing-valve-kit.html

P Mishan
12-13-2011, 06:41 PM
I had no idea it Was going to be $90 so I'll just stick to the old plan

waterlogged882
12-13-2011, 07:07 PM

pram
12-13-2011, 07:13 PM
what about pulling the impeller and just running it?

does the water pump (circ) need liquid for lubrication?

FrankSchwab
12-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Well, if you fogged the engine, I think you'll want to run it for "awhile" before the prospective buyer gets there. Nothing like saying "Sure, she runs great", turning the key and having billows of smoke come out the pipes.

I'd suggest:
1. Extend your intake hose into a bucket. Put garden hose into the bucket, and turn it on full. Start the engine. If the bucket is in your bilge, make sure every plug you've got is pulled. You'll dump all the antifreeze out of the engine, but you can run this way basically forever. Start it up, let it clear the fogging oil, rev it once or twice (remember to pull out the button near the throttle to keep the transmission out of gear. You only have to engage the transmission once out of the water to decide to never, ever do that again), and shut it down.

2. When the prospective buyer comes, start it for him. Let the engine run if he wants - rev it if he wants. Watch the water in the bucket; at higher revs, the engine will suck it up faster than your hose can replenish it.

3. Whether he buys the boat or not, winterize again. Frankly, the cost of the antifreeze is nothing compared with him calling you in the spring saying "Hey, the boat you sold me has a cracked block!". Sure, you can tell him to go stuff it, but he can make your life miserable enough that a $10 jug of antifreeze will be a real bargain. If it were me, I'd drain it; others are even more cautious and fill it with antifreeze and then drain - any water left in the engine will be at least partially antifreeze and shouldn't freeze.

Thrall
12-14-2011, 01:18 PM
If you drained it and then filled with antifreeze, then you really don't have anything to worry about with it freezing as long as you don't introduce any water into the engine again.
Personally I wouldn't worry about re-fogging it, but you can realtively easily.
If you have a strong prospective buyer, I'd fire it up first so you don't fog out your garage. Or expalin ahead of thime that it's going to smoke like a biotch because you take extra good care of your boat and fogged the cyl when you put it up. That could go either way depending if the buyer is mechanically inclined or not.
If you do start it, you want to run it up to temp because a short start and turn off will potentially cause some condensation build up in the engine crank case that is not burnt off or evaporated.
Personally I'd tell the guy you're not starting it until he's agreed to buy it pending only hearing it run. If he knows what he's doing he's going to want to see it run water for a while to check for any leaks. You should be able to tell if he's serious or not. It's not like he's out for a free joyride if he's looking for a boat in Dec in the northeast.

P Mishan
12-15-2011, 12:49 PM
With starting it for1 min. create moisture?

Thrall
12-15-2011, 01:00 PM
With starting it for1 min. create moisture?

Yes, but it's not a big deal. I just threw that out there because alot of us are real anal about the care of our boats as I presume you are since you took the time to fog the cylinders. Noone ever says, hey I started my car for one minute and now it's going to sit for a month, what do I do?
Just tell the guy when he comes to look at it. If he's going to buy it, you'll start it up for him. Put a garden hose into the raw water line and fire it up. Run it as long as you want to.
Bottom line, you (or he) will have to re-winterize it anyway regardless of how long it was run.

P Mishan
12-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Where I live in the next couple of Months the temperature will go well below freezing for an extended period time. Any moisture will freeze, for me to run the boat for more than a minute I would basically have to re-winterize the boat from scratch. Empty all the water from the block and manifold, refill it with antifreeze again and Fog it once more,I would Rather not have to do that.