PDA

View Full Version : Under Rail Ski Rack (older boats)

ctjahn
12-13-2011, 12:29 PM
I have been looking at the tower ski/board racks and wondered if anyone makes an under the rail ski rack that allows you to stack the skis at a 45 degree angle using that space under the rail?

I have a design in mind that screws to the floor and clamps to the lip on the rail (simple, polished aluminum cutout via a waterjet) but I didnt want to re-invent the wheel...if there is an off the shelf part?

And for the $$$ ski racks cost for towers; it doesnt really fit my needs and I would hate to hack up an expensive piece like that to fit my needs (seem pretty pricey on ebay?)

cj

east tx skier
12-13-2011, 02:40 PM
The only thing I have ever seen that is similar to what you have described was made by (or for) Correct Craft as an option for their boats. They screwed into the floor and to the back side of the upper part of the combing pad.

Here's a picture.

ctjahn
12-13-2011, 02:59 PM
The only thing I have ever seen that is similar to what you have described was made by (or for) Correct Craft as an option for their boats. They screwed into the floor and to the back side of the upper part of the combing pad.
Here's a picture.

Thats very similar to what I want! (in aluminum)...

Cj

jwroblew
12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
seems aluminum would scratch up the skis pretty easy

ctjahn
12-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Good point with the aluminum but I thin an easy fix... (rounded edges, and just some foam tape or a rubber cover).... I will add that to my design.

Cj

Hoosier Bob
12-13-2011, 07:57 PM
I do not know why you would not just make out of wood and wrap in vinyl? Even better cut them out of teak and oil regularly. I remember some older aftermarket jobs that were some kind of metal with rubber affixed for protection. If I had my choice I would do the teak but make them so they were on a pin or dowell and could be spun out of position when not in use.