PDA

View Full Version : Anyone thoughts on this boat? X30

jafo9
12-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm still on the hunt for a MC for the family. This one is only 100 miles away so its got my interest. Any thoughts on a fair price? Any red flags? Thanks.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2740492524.html

holdenh2o
12-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Looks good to me.:D I think this is a great all-around "big" boat.

Price seems a tad high.

JohnE
12-12-2011, 09:54 PM
X30 is a nice boat. 01 is a bad year for interiors in general and to be going on 11 years old especially. Price seems a little high.

kskonn
12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I am selling my 03 X30 if you are interested.

jafo9
12-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the offer my guess is that it is way out of my budget. I'd really like to stay in the low 20s.

Anyone want to venture a number that would be a fair offer for the '01.

DavidMCX30
12-13-2011, 02:21 PM
We love our 2002 X30. We’re on a slip at a marina with no storage so we need the space as we often take out other families and have lots of gear. Storage capacity and layout is amazing. We love the ride and versatility. As for things to consider when purchasing:
• Vinyl – As mentioned by others, vinyl for this era is notoriously poor quality. There were some minor tear and wear when we bought two years ago. But with putting over 300 hours on the boat in two years, our vinyl is toast. Looking at 3-5K to replace all. Ouch.
• Factory ballast tanks are fairly small for wake surfing and pumps are very slow. Our seemed to be slower than most. Often took 30+ minutes to fill, about 5-7 to empty. Pulled rear tank last year and went with 1,100 lbs. fat sac and Tsunami pump. Love it.
• Not a great ski wake, but skiable.

Again, great family boat that has provided lots of memories for our family and friends. Good luck.

cwarndahl
12-13-2011, 03:40 PM
as an 01 - x10 owner, the wake is not what i had hoped with factory ballast, i have replacing my interior (to be fair i replace stuff ahead of most people do to i do a couple of seats a year so its not a big project) and a lot of little things like the struts that hold up the engine cover, replacing roted rubber to the ballast, which is stuff youll have to do to the age. i think the price is high though i would think you could pick one up for 22k see them here in texas for that the month after my x-10 i could have got a same vintage x-star for a bit more money. make no mistake i love my boat and with price of new ones i think us guys with older ones are gonna have boats that hold there value. my 2 cents

jafo9
12-13-2011, 09:57 PM
I agree the boats in texas seem to be the best deals. i figure even if i pay a bit more locally, it will likely be made up in the decreased travel costs. i'm in alabama and texas is a pretty good drive, not to mention a pretty big state.

so you think 22-23K is a good/fair price for the boat in the original post? thanks.

mikeg205
12-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Seems priced okay for size and motor hours. Always nervous when I don't see any motor pics... use this link to check out the boat.....

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47

Check the motor box - see how meticulously cared for..see if there's a good service record. 2001 - you might be able to take it to a MC dealer to get a computer read out of boat information.

cwarndahl
12-13-2011, 10:36 PM
i would hesitate to pay the 27k for it. i have seen 03/04 for that money at onlyinboards.com and i think you can still find them with 400 to 500 hours on them. when i was looking in in late 09 i was seeing them regularly in that 22 to 23k price range to give you an idea i paid 17.5 for my 01 x-10 the the engine and interior were in top shape the gel coat had a little wear but not much and no trailer at that price with 490 hours on it. just dont get to excited its winter and i bought mine when it was snowing. and its the best time to buy just watch i think your wanting to spend fair money.

mikeg205
12-13-2011, 10:38 PM
i would hesitate to pay the 27k for it. i have seen 03/04 for that money at onlyinboards.com and i think you can still find them with 400 to 500 hours on them. when i was looking in in late 09 i was seeing them regularly in that 22 to 23k price range to give you an idea i paid 17.5 for my 01 x-10 the the engine and interior were in top shape the gel coat had a little wear but not much and no trailer at that price with 490 hours on it. just dont get to excited its winter and i bought mine when it was snowing. and its the best time to buy just watch i think your wanting to spend fair money.

+1 on being patient....

jafo9
12-13-2011, 10:43 PM
i agree, i don't mind waiting, i usually buy my water toys when the ice is on the trees. i figure i've got until mid march around here before prices start to creep back up.

i've watched onlyinboards for several months now and it seems like all the older x30's (even the 01's) are priced near 30K with some over 30K. it may be that with the new boats so rediculously expensive, the old boats are getting a price boost.

X-1Texas
12-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Bought my X1 last Dec/Jan. That's probably the worst time to try and sell a boat, but a great time to buy. Right after Xmas in this economy, perfect time to buy if it's in the budget.

mikeg205
12-13-2011, 11:00 PM
keep an eye out.. I paid $10K for my ride...526 hours 1995 PS 205...only observer skin has minor issue and the carpet looks a bit matted down.....other than that my only issue was doing some long over due maintenance on the trailer... when I saw went and saw it... It should have been 15K...good for me... PO threw in FLy-Hi pole and a buddy of mine can do inverted tricks on his wake board... this year the budget allows for some ballast - my son can't wait...me - I love the flat wake above 27 miles an hour.....

skongolf
12-14-2011, 12:29 AM
We paid 21k for our '01 x30 last April and it only had 220 hours. Did have some quirks, but I think we got a really good deal, especially considering the hours. If u really like it, I think 21 to 22k is a reasonable offer.

jafo9
12-22-2011, 10:19 PM
i got to see this boat today. i have some serious concerns about the hull i need to ask you guys about.

the boat apparently sat in the water for a while. the owner indicated it was just during the summers. not only is there a stain at the water line and below, i'm worried there are blisters. there are dark spots that can be found on the hull that are raised to the touch. some are as big as a dime. they don't compress to the finger nail, but they are definitely raised, not much, but raised. my limited experience with fiberglass indicates water is leaching into the hull and causing this.

the vinyl was overall in OK condition with the rear starboard seat and middle rear cushion likely needing replacement.

the tower speakers are gone and apparently are not included in the now asking price of 25.5K

there was a small bite out of the trailing edge of one of the blades of the 4 blade prop.

if the hull were pristine, i'd be really happy with the boat. as it is, i'm very worried about the hull. are my fears grounded? what does this do to the price of the boat.

thanks for all your input.

mikeg205
12-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Run away...

mccobmd
12-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Run away...

Times 2 on that

-V-
12-22-2011, 11:41 PM
kindly say no thank you, have a happy holidays, and leave.

dhoward
12-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Not really that great of a price with that level of risk involved... Walk away and find something else. Lots of deals out there with the shape of the economy if you take your time and keep searching

FrankSchwab
12-23-2011, 12:39 AM
The stained hull just means a good cleaning and compounding is necessary. The blisters were a big deal in that era; apparently a change in the Gelcoat caused by environmental regulations. I believe that they're purely a cosmetic problem.

However, with the hull in that shape it's certainly not worth a premium price, IMHO.

tommyadrian5
12-23-2011, 07:37 AM
I'd run away from a 2001 X-30 in general. I looked at and test drove one in maryland a few months ago. Boat was a straight lemon. Ballast broken, stereo broken, tower speakers corroded beyond all recognition, vinyl on its way out. This is after the owner said it was in 'great condition'. The kicker was when i was heading back to the dock and turned it off to try to hear the ballast pump function, when i tried to restart the boat it was dead in the water. Apparently had been jumped to pick me up and basically needed a new alternator and electric system. I ran hard and fast. They were asking 22.5 fyi

CantRepeat
12-23-2011, 07:59 AM
I'd run away from a 2001 X-30 in general. I looked at and test drove one in maryland a few months ago. Boat was a straight lemon. Ballast broken, stereo broken, tower speakers corroded beyond all recognition, vinyl on its way out. This is after the owner said it was in 'great condition'. The kicker was when i was heading back to the dock and turned it off to try to hear the ballast pump function, when i tried to restart the boat it was dead in the water. Apparently had been jumped to pick me up and basically needed a new alternator and electric system. I ran hard and fast. They were asking 22.5 fyi

Well, I think this is a in general a bad review of all 01 X30s. Just because you check out a poorly maintained 01 means all of them are?

Looks like he dropped the price a bit. There's always a better deal out there. It's just a matter of how long you want to wait and how hard you want to look.

btw: The speakers don't look like anything to write home about so that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

CantRepeat
12-23-2011, 08:02 AM
keep an eye out.. I paid $10K for my ride...526 hours 1995 PS 205...only observer skin has minor issue and the carpet looks a bit matted down.....other than that my only issue was doing some long over due maintenance on the trailer... when I saw went and saw it... It should have been 15K...good for me... PO threw in FLy-Hi pole and a buddy of mine can do inverted tricks on his wake board... this year the budget allows for some ballast - my son can't wait...me - I love the flat wake above 27 miles an hour.....

You can't compare a 95 205 with an 01 X30.

jafo9
12-30-2011, 07:00 AM
While i'm asking for advice on 30's. what about this one?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-Mastercraft-X-30-99434938

dealer said its a fresh water boat. i asked about the oxidation. he said it was on a covered lift with only the bottom exposed and that is how the bottom got oxidized. i like the fact that it already has the trim tab. for the right price, i don't mind doing some labor to wet sand the oxidized part. i'll have to leave it in the water when i'm at the lake so it won't show anyway.

thanks.

dpolen
12-30-2011, 07:43 AM

dealer said its a fresh water boat. i asked about the oxidation. he said it was on a covered lift with only the bottom exposed and that is how the bottom got oxidized. i like the fact that it already has the trim tab. for the right price, i don't mind doing some labor to wet sand the oxidized part. i'll have to leave it in the water when i'm at the lake so it won't show anyway.

thanks.

Looks like a nice boat, appears to be well optioned. Oxidation can be removed, so that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I didn't see how many hours were listed for that boat, but it appears to be pretty well taken care of. I would think that boat might sell for just under 30K, but who knows. The trim tab would be nice extra you don't often see on older X30's as this is an aftermarket add on.

Jerseydave
12-30-2011, 08:40 AM

thanks.

Price seems a bit high to me for a 10 year old X-30.
My '03 Maristar 230 would porpoise at higher speeds and they don't turn as well as some other boats (no tracking fins) even with the rudder update. Other than that it was a nice boat.
Just my $.02

bobx1
12-30-2011, 10:25 AM
[email protected] may know the boat and I would consider paying him to take a professional look at it....

jafo9
01-05-2012, 07:40 AM
here's another x30.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/2782079464.html

i talked to the owner last night. he sent me some texted images of the interior. the interior looks pretty tired. i talked to the mastercraft skins guy and he quoted me ~$2700 for the skins. i'm assuming i could recover them myself. the guy had the boat for 2 years and i sounds like he didn't do much except hang out with his buddies. he's active duty so my guess is they play pretty hard. he did say the fluids were changed yearly but thats all the maintenance he knew about. he wasn't able to tell me which motor was in the boat. i'm assuming its the LTR, he's supposed to be sending me a pic of the motor today.

any thoughts? thanks.

-V-
01-05-2012, 08:36 AM
did he ever cover it? I would go through it from top to bottom first. price does sound pretty good for that boat with all of those acc. those alone are worth $750 or more.

jafo9
01-05-2012, 08:39 AM
i was thinking there was lots of sun damage from the pics. he said it has a cover and that it is stored outdoors under an awning on the base at fort worth.

i was thinking the steering wheel and the throttle knob looked burnt from the sun.

anyone know of a surveyor in the DFW area?

jafo9
01-05-2012, 01:27 PM
here are some motor pics.

is this the base motor or the LTR without the cover?

prostar205
01-05-2012, 03:33 PM
That appears to be the base 310 horse 5.7L engine not the LTR. I have the same boat but with the L-18 and you will need at least the LTR in that boat to get it to do anything. I'd pass on this one.

jafo9
01-17-2012, 09:51 AM
i've passed on lots of 30's i've seen, but the 2002 in orlando is still under consideration.

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30013

this boat has been listed since august of last year. any thoughts on why its been sitting so long? obviously, it will sell at some price, but is there a major red flag that has people passing on this boat?

tommyadrian5
01-17-2012, 08:00 PM
i've passed on lots of 30's i've seen, but the 2002 in orlando is still under consideration.

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30013

this boat has been listed since august of last year. any thoughts on why its been sitting so long? obviously, it will sell at some price, but is there a major red flag that has people passing on this boat?

At first glance it appears to be a saltwater boat considering the engine corrosion and what appears to be bottom paint.

That shouldn't deter you, i've been using my 1999 Sportstar in brackish for 10 years with no problems after a solid flush and spraydown after every use. But it all depends on the care the person put into it.

jafo9
01-17-2012, 08:18 PM
interesting, i thought the blue on the bottom was gelcoat. dealer said it was a fresh water boat, though i too was wondering if that was corrosion in the engine compartment.

Jerseydave
01-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Way too much $$ for the condition it's in.

If I were you, I'd talk to some dealers like [email protected] and wait until he finds you a nice one.

Jerseydave
01-17-2012, 09:05 PM
That appears to be the base 310 horse 5.7L engine not the LTR. I have the same boat but with the L-18 and you will need at least the LTR in that boat to get it to do anything. I'd pass on this one.

Correct, the LTR does not have a distributor...it uses coil packs and has multi-port injection I believe. I would not recommend the base 310hp engine in these boats....it would be a bit underpowered.

jafo9
01-17-2012, 10:44 PM
agreed, from a marketing standpoint, if its been sitting since last august, its overpriced. what's a decent price on that boat?

kskonn
01-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Jafo0- I replied to your PM. I have yet to list my 03 with MCX, all wetsounds stereo, updated board racks to new clamp syle master craft, 8 month old interior, custom to match boat, not skins. Wakeboard pro perfect pass, 650 hours etc... Also has a new trailer, and maintained by Texas Ski Ranch in New Braunfels, a number of people on this board can tell you about their stellar service department reputation. I also updated the rudder

aquaman
01-18-2012, 11:18 AM
agreed, from a marketing standpoint, if its been sitting since last august, its overpriced. what's a decent price on that boat?

Salt water boat.......that is the main reason.....price would be the other. Doubt you want that boat at any price though.

Jerseydave
01-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Jafo0- I replied to your PM. I have yet to list my 03 with MCX, all wetsounds stereo, updated board racks to new clamp syle master craft, 8 month old interior, custom to match boat, not skins. Wakeboard pro perfect pass, 650 hours etc... Also has a new trailer, and maintained by Texas Ski Ranch in New Braunfels, a number of people on this board can tell you about their stellar service department reputation. I also updated the rudder

^sounds perfect....you took care of common issues already. Somebody will get a nice boat. Any pics?

kskonn
01-18-2012, 11:16 PM
^sounds perfect....you took care of common issues already. Somebody will get a nice boat. Any pics?

Here are some pics of the boat, the only change is I got rid of the X Decals and put on the Mastercraft Drip Mold.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/kskonnord/Interior10.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/kskonnord/Interior3.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/kskonnord/189443_905313347927_29605702_46749665_2785006_n.jp ghttp://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/kskonnord/rightsidePro80.jpg

BrooksfamX2
01-18-2012, 11:29 PM
It just amazes me that someone can spent the money for a MC and let it go like that..........

jafo9
01-19-2012, 06:21 PM
how about this one.

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30461

its out of my budget, but its been sitting some so maybe they'll deal.

kskonn
01-20-2012, 08:45 AM
how about this one.

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30461

its out of my budget, but its been sitting some so maybe they'll deal.

It is not a bad boat, lots of scratches in the gel coat, it is sitting right next to my boat at Texas Ski Ranch.

jafo9
02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
so far i've had 3 boats fall through. this one is way out in california but looks like its in good shape. the shipping estimate from uship was about 1700. there was a thread on here a while back that wasn't real complimentary of the dealer.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-Mastercraft-X-Series-X-30-101409107