PDA

View Full Version : First Time You Skied

Ron Grover
12-12-2011, 12:13 PM
As winter is settling in everybody is re-living those great last summer trips. What about that single great summer trip, maybe with some very long ago.

I am 55, soon to hit another click on the counter. On my dad's 40th birthday he learned how to ski and from that day the family was hooked. His birthday was July 4th. By summers end he had a small 1963 14' Starcraft with a 50hp Mercury. At the time I was 11 years old.

I remember dad and a couple of my uncles were out in the boat skiing. Another uncle was on shore with the rest of the family, we were at Pomona Lake in Kansas. Everyone was after me to try and I wasn't really that interested but finally I relented. My uncle had an aluminum fishing boat with probaly about a 35 hp motor. He tied a ski rope to one of the rear handles on the boat and I got ready.

Got in the water and "hit it". Poped up like a cork and as if I had done it all my life skied a circle the first time I tried.

When dad and my uncles came in mom and everybody was telling them about me up first time and everything else. They didn't believe the story. Frankly, as a kid I wasn't too sure about water, call it a healthy respect or mild fear (terror). They teased me until I finally relented and did it again. Came right up and skied a circle. Truthfully never really got interested in skiing any more until the next year. I just didn't see the fun or challenge.

This all happened in 1966. My dad and all of the uncles except one are gone. Along with most of my aunts from that time. I hope my kids, neices and nephews in 45 years can relate the same type of memory.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-12-2011, 12:27 PM
I was 8 years old in 1971 and visiting a relatives at their lake place when I got started. It was behind a 60's 15' Alumacraft fishing boat with a 20 hp Johnson. I have 2 male cousins just a few months apart in age, and we were all hooked. That fall Dad bought a 1958 Mark 28 Mercury, and we skied on a weekend vacation in October. Cold but fantastic. Wasn't too long before we started upgrading to larger more powerful boats.

ttu
12-12-2011, 12:38 PM
just turned 46. learned on two skis behind my uncle's 1974 glaston tri hull with a 75 hp mercury on lake cheney outside of wichita ks. then learned to slalom in 1976 behind "again" uncles glaston carlson cv-16 with a 115hp merc on table rock.

Iskidaily
12-12-2011, 01:21 PM
I learned in 1976 at age 10 behind an aluminum rowboat with a 7.9HP Mercury on Cypress Garden wooden skis. The next summer, I learned to drop a ski, but could not find the toe plate, so went around the whole lake with my back foot loose. I got a little hooked... I'm now on my second lake house and third Mastercraft. My 70+ YO mother told me this summer as she was driving my X-Star that she "always wanted a boat". Glad she gets to drive mine whenever she wants.

93Prostar190
12-12-2011, 01:46 PM
I started on a rented combo in Acapulco, Mexico I was 11 years old .... towed by an outboard driven by a 14 year old kid that drove in and out of the sailboats which were moored in the same bay ..... no life jacket ..... Dad watched from shore ..... probably not the safest 1st run in history but I had to ski that day .....

nowadays I just try to return the favor and offer a pull to anyone who wants to learn .... My Dad skied into his 70's ...

oldairboater
12-12-2011, 05:28 PM
I was eight years old in 1964. Took a couple of tries but I never looked back. Be fifty six in March and plan on being on my Connelly this spring. I still have my Connelly's shortline and my graphite from the seventies. Buddy of mine has the Connelly Hook I also skied on. We didn't bother to keep the EP's or Matawhatevers. All I remember about the early outboards that pulled me was that they were huge and made very little horse power. I remember one mercury that made me a champion oarsman at twelve years old. I still will not get into any boat with mercrusier power to this day.

mikeg205
12-12-2011, 05:43 PM
I think it was 1971...it was Muskegon, Mi - think it was twin lakes... I was hooked from that day forward...It was with my cousin's wife's family.... unfortunately I don't see them much anymore... the in-laws are gone... but I won't forget the day the I was infected with the waterski and boat bug. I'll never regret getting my MC - my brother never bought his bought and recently died at a yong 60 years old. I am 52 in 12 days and I am looking forward to 2012 shredding....

Great thread for the holiday.

cf_koch
12-12-2011, 05:56 PM
In 1970, my parents had purchased a 1968 Mark Twain with a 110 hp Mercury outboard. After watching my Dad ski I had to try. Unfortunately all we had was a pair of adult Cyprus Garden skis. After many attempts at West Branch Reservoir I was unsuccessful. We spent a week at Dillon Reservior in South Eastern Ohio and to my surprise my Dad had purchased a pair of Lake Region junior skies. On my third try I got up and couldn't get enough.

I still have those old wooden trainers and have since taught my daughter and several of their friends on the very skies that I learned on in the 1970s. I believe that the love for being on the water that my Father passed on to me will carry on to the next generation since we cannot get enough time on the lake and the kids beg to go to the lake when ever we can.:woohoo:

Huskie05
12-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Big Bear Lake Ca, 1978, behind MC Stars and Stripes. I was 9 years old, hooked ever since. Worked at Pine Knot Landing on the lake every summer, getting time behind boats was always important. I remember getting my first ski, Team 1, double boot. Now I have an old man ski, wakeboards, and surf boards. No tubes any more thank God.

madcityskier
12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
1975. 4yrs old. My dad aunt and grandfather in a 14' fiberglass johnboat. Dad ran the movie camera and showed that for years. Good thing I was so small as the power was a 3.9 Merc. When I was ten we taught my little brother by running in shallow water while he rode trick skis.

Double D
12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
I tried 'once' when I was 10 behind my parents ????craft wood boat and a 50 HP Evenrude, but never got up. The next time when I was 18 and a friend of mine got a Baja speed boat. We blew up the engine that day. After that I was 24 years old and my brother came home from an eight year Military stint in the Marines and brought his 79 Ski Tique home to Ohio from Jacksonville, Florida. That's when we started to hit it hard!! I am now 44 and the rest is history!! :)

wheelerlake
12-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Summer of '64, 7 years old behind a 40 horse on an aluminum runabout. I got up the first time I tried, dropped one the next summer and have skied whenever I could since then. When my second hubby and I got married in '89 we built a lake home but didn't buy a ski boat until '95, a Sugarsand Super Sport. LOVED that boat to ski behind, a small, soft wake, til I outgrew it:) (I think we got water in the engine too many times from submarining it). We still have that boat but it's just for fun and pulling small kids now. Bought an '89 MC in '99, best purchase ever. This past summer my 2 friends on the lake from when we were kids and I went out one afternoon in their MC and skied our hearts out. Here we are 54-56 years old and probably some of the best skiers on the lake:) Great friendships were made from those days on the lake that will last forever. The weekend before our great day my 6 year old granddaughter watched these guys ski and on the way home said, "Grandma, I want to try skiing". I got her dad, my son, from in the cottage, put the boom on the MC and away she went. Best day of Grandma's life!! when we got back to the cottage she ran to my husband and said "Grandpa, I beat Grandma by one year, she was 7 and I'm 6!!" She was just beaming and we were all so proud of her! I can't wait til next year.

ChandlerR
12-13-2011, 07:17 AM
My parents always had a boat. When I was 6 yrs old ( 1961 ) my dad and a friend put me in a swimming pool with a rope and a set of skis. Taught me how to put the skis on in the water, how to flip over to swim to the rope, etc. Then they pulled me hard enough to lift me out of the water. With that training behind me, the first time I tried in the lake, I got up first time and skied for hours. I think dad's boat was a starcraft w/50hp merc so when it was time to learn to slalom, I was told to drag a foot as a rudder for the long wait time to get up. I can remember many a time while skiing across the lake dad would stop the boat if he saw the sand bass schooling. He'd catch a few while I just stayed in the water, then holler back at me, ready !
I taught my own kids to ski in our swimming pool so their first time at the lake was successful.

norris_ps205
12-13-2011, 10:03 AM
1978 when I was 13. Elk Lake in Michigan...near Traverse City. On wooden skis behind an old 70's era tri-hull...think it was a Starcraft.

GT500 MC
12-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Higgins Lake, Michigan in 1977. Grandpa had an old mid-60's 14ft fiberglass runabout (Starcraft maybe?) with a 40hp Chrysler OB. That motor looked and sounded like a 454 to an 8 year old. Forced to try to ski by dad/uncles/gp--didn't particular care for it at the time. But as the years went by came to love it and have always loved just being on the lake.

rjracin240
12-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Crash Boat Beach in Puerto Rico, while serving in the Coast Guard. One of the pilots brought a Bayliner down to PR and would bring it out to the beach for everyone to have some fun. First pull popped right up, had a great time.
Appreciate this guy bringing his boat out, and try to return the favor....5 new wakeboarders this past summer 1 kneeboarder and several new tubers this past summer behind my boat. always a great feeling to see the smile on these kids or adults faces when they first get up!

BrooksfamX2
12-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Had my first boating/skiing experience when I was about 5-6 yrs old in the early 60’s. Went camping at the lake with a friend’s family and skied for the first time. Don’t remember anything about the boat. I started from a sitting position on the dock, 2 wooden skis, made a loop around the lake and came back skied to the dock and sat back down on the dock. Didn’t even get more than my feet wet. Not sure I could do that again without hurting myself.

Never skied again until I was about 18. GF’s dad had a 17ft Dorsett cuddy with a 60 hp Johnson OB which was used mostly for fishing. Became interested in boating then. Got my first boat when I was 22 yrs old. 1960 P-14 (14’ Sea Swirl) with a 40hp Evinrude OB. Could barely ski and tube (truck inner tubes back then) behind it.

All our kids have grown up with boating and even though they are all grown, they still join us at the lake. We are now starting to teach the grandkids. It’s a great family activity........:D

Boat evolution:

1960 P14 with 40 hp Evinrude OB
1974 16’ Sea Swirl with 60 hp Johnson OB (used)
1985 16’ Blue Water BR with 3.0L Merc I/O (new)
1999 20’ Crownline 202BR with 5.7L Merc I/O (new)
2007 Mastercraft X2 (just got a month ago, used)

Slinkyredfoot
12-13-2011, 12:43 PM
July 1961, Lake Wawasee behind a 16' Lone Star with 40hp Evinrude, I was 6 years old, remember it like it was yesterday.

BrooksfamX2
12-13-2011, 12:44 PM
July 1961, Lake Wawasee behind a 16' Lone Star with 40hp Evinrude, I was 6 years old, remember it like it was yesterday.

Looks like we started about the same time........;)

swardco
12-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Some time in the early to mid 70's. Sixmile reservoir near Boulder, CO. My Dad's boat was a 1950's vintage, very small fiberglass runabout with a Johnson 35 hp outboard. I think the boat might have been from Montgomery Wards. Like someone mentioned above, I had a bit of a fear of the water, but both my older sisters were skiing so I had to try. I remember popping up very quickly. So quickly that I was out of the water before I had even reached the boat wake, I remember seeing the wake, panicking and letting go.

I didn't really fall in love with slalom skiing until I was in high school. Some time in college, I met a guy with an inboard and learned to ski the course.

RadarDad
12-13-2011, 01:59 PM
I was 8 and it was 1960. A friend of my brother was charging $0.50 to try and get up behind his 12' row boat with a 15 hp Johnson. So I put on a pair of very long JC.Higgins(sears) skies and on my second try I made it. From the ages of 17 to 28 I would ski from time to time. We a new engineer got hired at our firm, he had a 1979 American Skier and took me out and it was like I never stopped skiing. So I bought a Ski Centurion and never looked back. I tought my whole family to ski and at 59 I am out on the river every weekend shredding it up. I am always seeing other skiers and saying "wow that guy is good!" will last year I final got the chance to ski Radar Lake. Well when I finished the Radar guys commentted how go I was. I am sure they ment for my age! I hope I can get my two grandsons skiing or wakeboarding ASAP. I did get the chance to take my brothers friend skiing and no I didn't charge him.

Roger Pelletier