PDA

View Full Version : American Skier

Covi
12-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Ok I have a few questions? A couple days ago someone posted an American skier on the board for sale. Not this boat but it got me thinking. I grew up with a buddy with the exact same boat pictured. In fact we are almost certain that this is his old boat. I place a call to the owner and I'm waiting a response. I have a few questions to ask him to find out if it is or is not.

Here's the deal I'm considering the switch. Do I sell the 86 great condition with 800 hrs.and purchase a newer boat with half the hours. I know it's not a MC. But, I know this boat and the ride is nice the space is nice and I like the look. It's a unique boat as I never see them around my area. Is there a market for my 86? By the way this boat is also listed for sale 40 minutes from my house.

Any feed back would be great.

And guys remember I am MasterCraft guy! How would I ever make the change?

Covi
12-06-2011, 08:26 PM
I beside myself I can't believe what I just posted. I wish I wasn't so OCD. When I get something in my mind I have a hard time letting it go.

JohnE
12-06-2011, 08:39 PM
I remember the post from a few days ago. Is an early 90's american skier a better boat than yours? I don't know, I don't have any first hand knowledge of the american skier. How much is it listed for? It looks like a nice boat. Let me know if you sell your boat, I may know someone interested. How much wood in the construction and more importantly what is the condition of it?

Jerseydave
12-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Covi, take your hand off the mouse and step away from your computer!
Walk out to your beautiful '86 Mastercraft and sit in the driver's seat.

Keep in mind your boat has no wood construction, it's in great condition, '86 is the only year with the stripe graphics, your colors are not trendy, etc.

Oh yeah, and there are no "American Skier" reunions (that I know of)

You already own a great boat.......STOP LOOKING!

OK, rant over. (but you catch my drift right?)

waterlogged882
12-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Covi
12-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Wow, these two posts are why I belong to this forum and own a MasterCraft. The MasterCraft family Is truly that! John, I'll keep you posted I'm going to do a little more research on the AS. I too would like to know the answers to the important questions.

MIskier
12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with the other posters here, the American Skier of the 80's and late 90's was an excellent boat and will have a better slalom wake than your MC. Between 85-86 is when AS made the switch to composite stringers, even if they are wood its not a deal breaker as they were not foamed in the same was as the CC's of that era that are now all rotted out.

I go to school with Ron Tanis's son, the man behind AS for a good portion of its run. I've spent some time at his shop and have gotten to know him, he is a great person with a great passion for ski boats in general and especially the ones he had a hand in designing.

There is an American Skier website and forum now as well as reunions. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I can get you Ron's contact info.

They really are a great boat, and one that not many people outside the hardcore slalom world are aware of anymore unfortunately.

03geetee
12-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Dont do it bro...I will have a major sad.

JTR

thatsmrmastercraft
12-06-2011, 09:59 PM
The AS is a cool boat, but I would never jump ship.

jhall0711
12-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Two words.... Fiberglass Stingers....

All I have to say... I know from first hand experience how terrrriiibbbblllleee it is to have wood in a boat.... Its just not worth the chance....

Pic is after manny nights of backbreaking work and the tune of $2500.....

Ypsi-Rider
12-07-2011, 08:21 AM
I grew up with an 85 American Skier Advance. It was a great boat and the ski wake was amazing. Our boat had over 1900 hours and started up every time and pulled like crazy. There were some definite issues with the hull though. Our boat developed a crack in the chines on the starboard side that was actually bad enough that it took on water. The boat was used hard and put away wet but it was kept on a lift at all times. My dad had the wood removed and the fiberglass repaired where it had split and it looked perfect once it was done. My parents moved out of the country about 12 years ago and my dad sold the boat to a buddy for next to nothing. This summer when I started boat shopping I got a hold of the guy that bought it to see if he was interested in selling it. He had only had it in the water twice in the 12 years and was definitely open to parting with it. He had been storing it in a pole barn and it had been properly winterized before storage. Even with the care that was taken and the boat being out of the weather it developed another crack. This time it was on the port side of the boat from the passenger seat all the way back to the transom. I decided to pass on the purchase even though I had so many great memories and would have loved to restore it to its former glory. I started looking at Mastercrafts and ended up buying an 85 S & S. The fact that Mastercrafts are wood free is great piece of mind.

-V-
12-07-2011, 08:31 AM
thats a good story, you should buy it nd ave it for the kids.

liledgy
12-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Cosi, I bought a 89 AS brand new. Like others have said, it was a great boat, my buddy still owns it. It still has wood in it though, like Mi. Said it probably doesn't have the issues that the 80 and early 90's correct crafts have. You'll never know until you crack her open though. Starting in 88 AS offered the clam shell motor cover and, what I really liked was the 3 piece rear seat cushion, you could pull the middle out and still have 2 seats. I copied that when I re did my 83 SS. I'd keep your mastercraft, their is no better selling point (resale value) than saying its an "all composite hull", something no other comp boat co. Could say until the mid 90's. AS's did not go fiberglass until the 90's, and then, it was not a complete change over, some were , some not. They have had stringer problems just not the extent of CC. They do have a forum and tanks is very responsive to questions. Their is a 86 in atlanta for $3500 on CL. Mastercraft had by FAR the best trailer available in the 80's.
Another thing I liked on my 89, was access to the packing and rudder via small rectangle cutouts in the floor and rear panel. No screws to remove, no seat to pull out ( only the middle one that was out anyway).
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z378/liledgy/c3755033.jpg

mitch
12-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Hmmm.... My buddies 86 ps is still the best slalom wake ive ever skiied, but that amer skier looks very well taken care of, and sharp too. All that said id stay with the mc....

aquaman
12-07-2011, 09:50 AM
If you really like the boat?...... it IS ok to have 2 boats.

You can always sell the one you dont want. :)

MIskier
12-07-2011, 09:57 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with the other posters here, the American Skier of the 80's and late 90's was an excellent boat and will have a better slalom wake than your MC. Between 85-86 is when AS made the switch to composite stringers, even if they are wood its not a deal breaker as they were not foamed in the same was as the CC's of that era that are now all rotted out.

I go to school with Ron Tanis's son, the man behind AS for a good portion of its run. I've spent some time at his shop and have gotten to know him, he is a great person with a great passion for ski boats in general and especially the ones he had a hand in designing.

There is an American Skier website and forum now as well as reunions. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I can get you Ron's contact info.

They really are a great boat, and one that not many people outside the hardcore slalom world are aware of anymore unfortunately.

I wet back and reread some of my e-mails from Ron, and it was the floors that went to composite in the mid-80's.

If you are really interested in an AS I would look at ones in the '95-'01 range when Ron Tanis owned the company outright and used a lot of composite techniques from the aerospace industry in the boats. THese boats are still one of the only boats to use multi axial stitch laminates, as well as using cored hull sides and decks. This meant that the same Advance hull weighted several hundred pounds less, but had improved structural properties over the original design.

gatorguy
12-07-2011, 11:53 AM
If you really like the boat?...... it IS ok to have 2 boats.

You can always sell the one you dont want. :)

My thoughts exactly. For the right price you could turn the AS into a show boat, but I have a super soft spot in my heart for MC, and can't see myself ever changing untill there is something so much more advanced like the change from VHS to DVD. That being said I still have a closet full of VHS that my kids still watch, and they aren't all scratched up like the DVD's/blueray.

Covi
12-07-2011, 01:14 PM
American Skier update. First and formost thank you for all the input. Again the comments and knowledge, personalities and opionins are what keep me coming back (or should I say fuel my pasion).

I just got off the phone with the owner of the boat (I should say previous owner) the bott has sold. I person from PA drove to VT to pick it up last year. The posting was over a year old.

I was able to ask a few questions and indeed the boat pictured for sale was the same boat owned by a friend of mine. So if anything the previous owner loved hearing the history of it.

That siad I will be keeping my 86' and I really hope that I did not hurt her feelings considering selling. I will have a smile ear to ear next summer as soon as it fires back up. I am MasterCraft!!!

Thanks again guys.

liledgy
12-07-2011, 05:37 PM
That 86 in Atlanta is now down to $3000. I'd Still rather have a composite hull!

JohnE
12-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Hmmm.... My buddies 86 ps is still the best slalom wake ive ever skiied, but that amer skier looks very well taken care of, and sharp too. All that said id stay with the mc....

I resent that.:mad::D How ya been Mitch?

2RLAKE
12-08-2011, 04:46 AM
Covi, take your hand off the mouse and step away from your computer!
Walk out to your beautiful '86 Mastercraft and sit in the driver's seat.

Keep in mind your boat has no wood construction, it's in great condition, '86 is the only year with the stripe graphics, your colors are not trendy, etc.

Oh yeah, and there are no "American Skier" reunions (that I know of)

You already own a great boat.......STOP LOOKING!

OK, rant over. (but you catch my drift right?)

and how much fun would an American Skier forum be ... three members?

jmhjgh
12-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Great thread. We recently sold our 89 AS Advance. It was a great boat, and one of the best slalom ski wakes that I have been behind. It was well made, and the interior was still original and looked much better than the boat we purchased that was 7 years newer. Our wood stringers were fine, and if the boat stays dry it probably is not an issue, but it hurts resale. We would probably still have the boat, but we were looking for an open bow and found a great deal on a 96 PS205. With all that said, I am not sure I would buy another wood stringered boat unless it was a great deal.

americanskierJim
12-08-2011, 06:58 PM
I had an AS at one time. Sold it now I own 2 MC. I miss the boat but I enjoy the MC alot.