PDA

View Full Version : Newbie advice X15 (X25)

Stefan
12-06-2011, 04:30 PM
A friend of mine got a '89 tristar, which got me into the whole thing...

I started looking within a budget of 30-40K €, the numbers are quite similar in $, so not much calculating necessary...
The thing is, the used market is very small in Europe, so the only thing i really found matching my first idea is a 2006 X-15 with 800(!) hours for 37K €, boat looks good from the pictures but is 700 miles away and I haven't found time yet to go there and have a look at it myself. Visited the two dealers in Germany, drove a 2012X2, a 2010X25, and a 2011X15, found the X2 to be to small inside, but liked the 6.0 Ilmor, liked the X25 but pretty much decided toward the X15 due to interieur size in combination with reasonable weight. I don't think I'll need the rough water qualities of an X25, will use it mainly on a larger river (elbe). But due to the small used market im coming more and more to the conclusion of buying a new one which is about double the intended budget (70+K €).
My main question, which is a pretty stupid one to ask a community of happy boat owners, is the double budget really worth it. We got a season of 6-8 sunny summerly weekends, everything else is good luck, outside of that the boat will most of the time probably just sit in the garage.

I'm pretty sure double the budget won't buy me double the boat, but what's more the concern, can I ever "use up" the new boat in just a couple of weekends a season.

Thanks Stefan

JohnE
12-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Given the small used boat market, I'd think your investment on new will hold a lot of value. With that said, a new X15 won't do anything that the '06 won't do. 800 hours wouldn't bother me one bit if they were well maintained hours. What options on that 06? Maintenance and care are far more important that age or hours. And by '06 the premature failing of the interiors was solved.

Thrall
12-06-2011, 08:33 PM
No you'll never "use up" a new MC a few weekends a year.
A good day on the water is maybe 5 engine hour unless you're running constantly.
Even at 50hrs/yr, in 20yrs, with good care and maint it will be about 1/2 "used up."
The X15 does very well in rough water too. Never been in a X25, but the X15 is better than my X2 or a malibu 23LSV on big rough lakes.

JohnE
12-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Lots of reports of the X15 being better than the 25 in rough water too. (no first hand knowledge here)

Nick911
12-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Was in a similar situation, was looking to buy used here in Canada, wanted an X15, however, the used market is so tight a 4-5 year old X15 in good shape is still 55-65K! Had a deal fall through on a used, and decided for 30K more, get new and bigger (went with 25 which was only about 7K more than 15). This way, was able to factory order, get a warranty, established a relationship with local dealer, and was able to get more boat. I figure in 5 years, that 25 is still worth easy what I would have paid for a used 5-year old X15, plus those are now my hours. Still hard to justify the cost, but, you can't take the cash with you when u die.

Stefan
12-07-2011, 02:26 AM
Sorry I'm no native speaker, but I rather meant the return I get for the investment then to "use it up".

Considererations on how the value will stay up over the years are more a guess in my eyes and in these days, but certainly not something to count on. Just knowing that the loss on a used one will be less over let's say 5 years...

The 2006 X-15 got the following options: LQ9 VRS, cover, bimini, mirror, Perfect Pass, amp+sub, transom remote, depth finder, black platform, bow filler, cockpit table, cooler, MSRP was $75710 in 2006

As we always say, the last shirt got no pockets...

Stefan
12-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Oh and I forgot, there is one more thing to consider: In Germany, on lakes and rivers, skiing, wakeboarding etc. is prohibited where it is not allowed explicitly, so on the river in our area we got two "Ski areas" one ist a mile long, the other, furter away with less cops a mile and a half...

Quinten
12-07-2011, 02:50 AM
Oh and I forgot, there is one more thing to consider: In Germany, on lakes and rivers, skiing, wakeboarding etc. is prohibited where it is not allowed explicitly, so on the river in our area we got two "Ski areas" one ist a mile long, the other, furter away with less cops a mile and a half...

1mile-1.5 mile is enough to ski if you are alone there, I ski an a channel with concrete walls (backwash :() and its about 3 km single so, But I stay on one part and thats about 1-1.5 km because my water is better there, just more turning. The short ski zone isn't realy a problem in my opinion :)
edit: we are located in Belgium near the netherlands so our wheter is almost the same as germany and we put 80-120 hours a year on the boat. From march till october (november) depending on the freezing wheater :)

Jet
12-07-2011, 07:58 AM
If you can't test ride the 2006, I would go ahead for a new one to be on the safe side.

FourFourty
12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Lots of reports of the X15 being better than the 25 in rough water too. (no first hand knowledge here)

Not even close (first hand knowledge)..... The X15 doesnt ride anything like a X25. That being said, the X15 does handle better.

scott023
12-07-2011, 12:12 PM

I've heard the same thing numerous times as well, no first hand experience though.

FourFourty
12-07-2011, 12:34 PM
I've heard the same thing numerous times as well, no first hand experience though.

I wonder if they are referring to choppy conditions on a smaller lake?? The X15 seemed to ride as nice on a smaller lake with the mid-day boat chop at its worse. But, the windy day that we were out on Lake George, with both boats, it was not even close. Out in the large part of the lake, it was 1'-2' white cap waves, and the The X25 was sucking them right up (attitude plate down 70% or so), and the X15 (had his attitude plate down as well)was not taking it well at all. He had to keep it under 15MPH to keep control of the boat, and the people inside it. It was a night and day difference.

One thing I can say about the X25, is that it needs the attitude plate to ride nice. The X25 needs to break the water more foreward on the hull than it naturally does. If the water is rough, I usually have the attitude plate at 30% and it rides beautiful, and maintains handling. If the plate is not down at all, I have seen 197s take the chop better :D

scott023
12-07-2011, 12:36 PM
The people I've heard that from are on smaller lakes like ours. Couple people here have gone from the 15 into a 25 and haven't been happy with the handling in rough water.

FourFourty
12-07-2011, 12:55 PM
If they do not have an attitude plate, they should get one. It will make a world of difference. I can see the X15 being better in small water chop though.

scott023
12-07-2011, 12:57 PM
If they do not have an attitude plate, they should get one. It will make a world of difference. I can see the X15 being better in small water chop though.

I'll have to let them know. Thanks.

Stefan
02-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that things are starting to come together...

decision fell for the new 2012 X-15 (despite the price and the aweful dollar/euro ratio at the time) loaded with not a whole lot of options but mostly what i wanted...

6.0Ilmor, Plate/Tabs, Touchscreen as addon and Bimini. Everything else will entertain me by putting it in later on :-)

Just picked up the Trailer to get a matching paintjob done until season starts in April

onewheat
02-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Sounds awesome! I hear the 6.0 is an awesome engine. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

snork
02-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Might want to think about the propane conversion

Stefan
02-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Might want to think about the propane conversion

not really, why do you think so?

Stefan
04-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Well finally spring is here and so is the boat :)
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r547/c43amg/X15-Rig.jpg

RustyMC
04-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Stefan - love the boat, good color choice. I've got to ask though, what's the specks on your tow rig? We don't see too many of VWs in this forum.

Stefan
04-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks,
the rig is my solution for now, its a 2005 Passat 2,5 TDI 4Motion which can tow up to 2200kg (4800lbs+). It will be replaced by an Amarok that's coming around June/July and will be able to tow 3200kg (7000lbs+).
By the way my rig probably boosts some of the best mileages around here ;) ...probably around 20-25mpg towing :D

Mariokcramsib
04-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Hi stefan, very nice boat, where in germany you drive it?

Stefan
04-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Hi Mario,

around Magdeburg for now, maybe in Brandenburg later on

Mariokcramsib
04-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Hi Stefan, if u are near müggelsee, berlin, we can go together with our x-15 ;)) would be a nice picture. ;)))

Fab
04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Sweet boat, can't agree more with you about the small aftermarket in Europe !

gatorguy
04-11-2012, 02:58 PM

Thread jack: Friend just got a CSX, no plate or tracking fins. Can he aftermarket the trim tabs and plate? Also do you think it's needed?

Stefan
04-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Although I haven't had my X-15 for to long I can tell you one thing, for keeping a regular ride easy and smooth, the attitude plate is worth the bucks, it just calms body movement in choppy water and during acceleration and thus makes it way more comfortable for people not used to ride on boats on a regular basis. The surf tabs are just for surfing and trimming the boat sideways to a certan degree though...

@gatorguy: check www.lencomarine.com (http://www.lencomarine.com) they're the original supplier