PDA

View Full Version : I'm in a predicament! Suggestions?

M4ST3RCRAFT
11-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Hello TT,

Well I am in a sticky, but good situation. I am 16 years old and we currently have a 2004 230 VRS. This boat has gave me a lot of troubles this summer and I kind of want to get rid of it. My dad made a deal with me that he will get different boat only if I hold on to get my driving license. He says he can't pay for insurance for both boat and someone under 18 having a license. ( I am not going to argue with him to get both because he might not get either then)

The boat he is looking at is a 2007 Mastercraft X30, this boat looks awesome considering the only thing I do on the lake is wakesurf. So if you guys can help me out and pick which one I should pick. I really want to be able to drive but the boat will be amazing too.

Thanks guys!

LaRue
11-28-2011, 10:05 PM
How about you pay for your own car insurance? :D. That's the way it works in our home.

What kind of problems r u having with the '04? Rather suprised by that.

Sorry can't help u with the quality of the wake of an x30. Weighted down I believe it would work. How much u r willing to pay for a boat will b a factor

Spork
11-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Have dad buy the boat, you get a job to pay your insurance and you learn some responsibility and everybody is happy. That model x- 30 is a surf machine, much better than the '04

Eagle Lake Rebel
11-28-2011, 10:26 PM
I have a '07 X30 & love it. It surfs really well with extra ballast. Working on a cut down swim platform so the wake doesn''t get chopped off. The 30 may be the sleeper surf boat of the recent MC line-up.

mikeg205
11-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Have dad buy the boat, you get a job to pay your insurance and you learn some responsibility and everybody is happy. That model x- 30 is a surf machine, much better than the '04

+ 1 for this advice...

Kyle
11-28-2011, 10:52 PM

Thank you James.

I have been working since I was 13. My parents never bought me a thing.

Get a job, get your license, buy some insurance, and buy a beater to drive. In 2 years you will start getting whiskey dents so there is no need for a new truck.

Do this and show pops that you are responsible and can take care of your business. Then when you are 18 or so maybe pops will let you take the new boat out alone. That is where you load it full of young tail and get your swag on. Quit thinking about today. Think about tomorrow. :D

mikeg205
11-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Thank you James.

I have been working since I was 13. My parents never bought me a thing.

Get a job, get your license, buy some insurance, and buy a beater to drive. In 2 years you will start getting whiskey dents so there is no need for a new truck.

Do this and show pops that you are responsible and can take care of your business. Then when you are 18 or so maybe pops will let you take the new boat out alone. That is where you load it full of young tail and get your swag on. Quit thinking about today. Think about tomorrow. :D

Kyle for president!!!

GT500 MC
11-28-2011, 11:08 PM
What the he** is a whiskey dent?

Kyle
11-28-2011, 11:47 PM

LOL!!!

A whiskey dent is a dent that just happens to show up on your truck and you can not recall putting it there. These dents are not a major accident but more like backing into a tree, light post, or your buddies truck. Most of the time this kind of event happens after drinking. Back in the day my buddies started calling these fender benders "whiskey dents". Beer dents didn't sound as cool.

I'm not saying is ok to drink under age but if an 18 year old can go die for our country then I feel that they can drink a few brews. I'm not saying drinking and driving is right either. Both are frowned upon.

mikeg205
11-28-2011, 11:52 PM
LOL!!!

A whiskey dent is a dent that just happens to show up on your truck and you can not recall putting it there. These dents are not a major accident but more like backing into a tree, light post, fender bender, or your buddies truck. Most of the time this kind of event happens after drinking. Back in the day my buddies started calling them whiskey dents. Beer dents didn't sound as cool.

I'm not saying is ok to drink under age but if an 18 year old can go die for our country then I feel that they can drink a few brews. I'm not saying drinking and driving is right either. Both are frowned upon.

so kind of like an unidentified party wound...lol

Kyle
11-29-2011, 12:04 AM

Exactly. It's amazing what all I survived in college.

The OP says he's 16 so the party is just getting started. No need to be a baller and go buy a bad a$$ new truck. Whatever truck he gets will be driven through muddy fields, front lawns, and dirt roads like Dukes of Hazard style. Just buy something old that looks good. In a few years it will be worthless. I remember being 16...

The focus should be getting pops new boat full of young hotties and posting up pics in the SS thread.

Where does the OP live. Maybe we can help him find a job.

GoneBoatN
11-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Hum,

I would call that a good situation. In your place I would choose the boat as well. Getting a job in this economy may be tough. People are taking jobs just to get by that typically youth would have taken.

Perhaps find out from your dad how much it would cost to add you to the insurance. Then factor in gas that you would need to contribute to as well. In my area you can make some pretty good money providing yard service. That alone may be more than enough. Also show that you could put some money away for college/savings. That and taking good care of dad's car might get you there.

Also, look into when the insurance is needed. I just looked into this because my son will be able to get his learner's permit at 15.5 years of age. Insurance will cover him no cost until he actually gets his drivers license which is at least 6 months away. It does however cost to sign up for "drivers ed" which is required at his age.

Like Kyle, I worked since very young. Apparently, I missed the boat on the good times rolling... Excuse the bad pun.

Hope it works out for you. At the least, you will have good times on the boat.

Look at http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35176&page=2 around post 16-19 has some good pictures of X-30 wakesurf wakes on stock ballast. There are others here on TT that put in additional ballast and I'm sure they will be along to respond. But as they say, a picture is worth 1000 words. I found this using google and pointing at MC site - e.g. search "x-30 wakesurf site:mastercraft.com" which came up with lots more reading.

JohnnyB
11-29-2011, 05:43 AM

We call it a whiskey blister

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

JBrew
11-29-2011, 07:36 AM

How about you pay for your own car insurance? :D. That's the way it works in our home.

What kind of problems r u having with the '04? Rather suprised by that.

Sorry can't help u with the quality of the wake of an x30. Weighted down I believe it would work. How much u r willing to pay for a boat will b a factor

Amen.... Get a job and pay your own insurance. Tha is not a predicament at all.

mikeg205
11-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Exactly. It's amazing what all I survived in college.

The OP says he's 16 so the party is just getting started. No need to be a baller and go buy a bad a$$ new truck. Whatever truck he gets will be driven through muddy fields, front lawns, and dirt roads like Dukes of Hazard style. Just buy something old that looks good. In a few years it will be worthless. I remember being 16...

The focus should be getting pops new boat full of young hotties and posting up pics in the SS thread.

Where does the OP live. Maybe we can help him find a job.

Unless you're Jack Owen you're going to have to get a job...both my kids have jobs... yeah its tough...but you can't find a job until you look. It may not be what you want and it may cut into your surf time... I from Illinois and its been tough...not like MI or NV...but tougher no doubt.... I am in sales in 13 states.... go work - get some CNC training - there's a bunch of jobs there....

tex
11-29-2011, 08:19 AM
....and take up something else besides Wake Surfing!

willyt
11-29-2011, 08:25 AM
I say you should become a gearhead = fix the 04 + get a job as a mechanic = make bank = buy better truck+ get hotties. Simple math.

Make sure their 18... Don't want to be that utah prof on that flight... Ha.

agarabaghi
11-29-2011, 08:43 AM

No, that would be herpes. Not the same.

Kyle
11-29-2011, 10:09 AM
I say you should become a gearhead = fix the 04 + get a job as a mechanic = make bank = buy better truck+ get hotties. Simple math.

Make sure their 18... Don't want to be that utah prof on that flight... Ha.

With the 2 plus years of showing responsibility maybe the young ladies that he will be carting around will be in college and be above 18...

sp00ky
11-29-2011, 01:56 PM
+ 1 for this advice...

Amen to that. Gotta start to learn the value of money sometime

sp00ky
11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Yes fix the 04. And above all be thankful you have that.

FourFourty
11-29-2011, 02:42 PM
I am surprised this is actually a question.....

Don't be worried about the boat..... Get your License so that you can get yourself back and forth to work. Do this and pay your own insurance. Buy a one owner, chauffer drivin, creampuff, and show your father that you can be responsible..... If you show that kind of initiative, and responsibility..... Dad will probably get the boat as well

CantRepeat
11-29-2011, 02:49 PM
I think all responses should be type in 1337!

sp00ky
11-29-2011, 03:00 PM
How about post the problems with the 04 and we can help you fix it. You will feel so much better about yourself than your old man giving you a newer boat

TallRedRider
11-29-2011, 03:18 PM

We call that a UDI. Sort of like getting a DUI, but instead it means 'Unidentified Drunken Injury'.

hondaprlud
11-29-2011, 03:35 PM

Fine advice. :D

Thrall
11-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Listen to Kyle. SOund advice for you there.
You're preaching to the choir here. I didn't have a MC as a kid. Old row boat with a 5.5hp hp outboard was a close as I got. Taught me I had to make some $ to get what I wnated though. You have the world by the @ss right now. If you can get dad to spring for a X30, least you can do is get a job and buy your own car and insurance.
I can tell you without a doubt, my kids, only 5 and 8 right now, if they even think they'll be out enjoying our expensive hobbies when they're 16, they WILL have jobs and exhibit responsibility. They WILL contribute heavily to their own educations after high school. And if they do all that they also WILL be able to take the boat down to the lake by themselves. (Just have to bring back pics for the old man!:D)

M4ST3RCRAFT
11-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Ope sorry guys I forgot to add, my Dad owns a business and I work there about 4-5 hours a day in the summer. That's the reason why I have a 230vrs in the beginning. Probably should have added that in there.

Thrall
11-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Well, I'd say you're off to a good start then.
Personally I couldn't have gone a day after my 16th birthday without a license and car. Not sure how I'd have compared that to a new boat since it wasn't on the table, but I'd take an 04MC and a drivers license over an 07MC and no driving.
Surf the 04, don't even need a tower for that.