PDA

View Full Version : 2AM winterization

gatorguy
11-27-2011, 12:26 PM
So I skied Wednesday for my one last time out this year. I knew I needed to re-winterize, but forgot all about it until Saturday night at 2AM. I was just about to climb into bed when I remembered, and a quick check of the weather confirmed a temp drop to 27F before morning. So there I was climbing under the tarp with a flash light, a flat blade screw driver, cresent wrench, and 1/2" breaker bar. I think I set a new world speed record for draining the water. I will still need to do my real winterization later, but I made it back to bed and slept easy.

That was a close call!!

willyt
11-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Meh, 27 for 1 night won't crack a block

CantRepeat
11-27-2011, 12:38 PM

You never know so why risk it?

DemolitionMan
11-27-2011, 12:42 PM
You never know so why risk it?

Thats what I say.

gatorguy
11-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Like I said, I slept well knowing it wouldn't crack. I'll wait for someone else to do the experiment on their block before I risk mine.

mikeg205
11-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Like I said, I slept well knowing it wouldn't crack. I'll wait for someone else to do the experiment on their block before I risk mine.

You got it just like most of us.... OCD on MC.... thanks man....you make us proud:cool:

I probably would have stuck the bulb in there just to overcompensate... I keep a thermometer in my garage... even though my block is drained and rinsed with RV anti-freeze...

Insulated garage...and never let the temp drop below 32 F. And yes I check it every night before I go to sleep... :D

good job on the time... I almost went out last friday here in illinois - 65...out but it ws windy and my closest ski hole had a bunch of chop...but was ready to re-fit and re-winterize...

Alan-S
11-27-2011, 02:23 PM
We have seen 2 cracked blocks here in Denver so far with no super low temps. There are a lot of variables.

gatorguy
11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
24 degrees for 24 hours is the rule of thumb. A drop cord with 60 watt light will keep it from freezing over night also.......

I wouldn't follow this unless you want a new motor. Water freezes at 32F. It just freezes faster at 24F. So if it is 31F for 3 days without warming up you will for sure crack something.

BGcraft
11-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Think I'm with willyt on this one...

Change your oil at 20 hours just to be sure.

mikeg205
11-27-2011, 05:27 PM
This is for a single 24 hour time period, not 3 days at sub freezing. Water does not instantaneously freeze at 32 degrees either. Especially in a block, in an engine compartment with a tarp over the boat.

BTW, mine is in a garage that never gets below 50 degrees. I donít need to worry about it which is a lot less stressful.

But think how much better you would feel if she was in a garage that was 60 degrees...:D

tex
11-27-2011, 05:48 PM

A skiing buddy of mine lost one at around 30 on the first night one year. It only takes once!

agarabaghi
11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
It was 85* here today. =P

mikeg205
11-27-2011, 07:24 PM

grrr....8p

-V-
11-27-2011, 08:39 PM
soon enough i will be in weather like that, just no water near me........

gatorguy
11-27-2011, 11:25 PM

I don't mind the cold, I just wish that we had a little snow and some mountains to ski on if it's gonna be too cold to water ski.

mikeg205
11-27-2011, 11:30 PM
+1 one on the snow and mountains...chestnut mountain is a nice place to take the family here byme in Illinois..but it averages $500 per day for the 4 of us...and I thought water skiing was 'spensive...

GoneBoatN
11-28-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't mind the cold, I just wish that we had a little snow and some mountains to ski on if it's gonna be too cold to water ski.

+1 one on the snow and mountains...chestnut mountain is a nice place to take the family here byme in Illinois..but it averages $500 per day for the 4 of us...and I thought water skiing was 'spensive...

A few of our area (Tahoe) resorts are open but mostly man-made snow. I was raised in the east and I had enough of skiing that in my early years to last a life time. Now I just wait for good conditions and go when I feel like. This year our big trip will be to Champery Switzerland. We have friends in Germany who we will spend a week with sharing a chalet on the mountain. Last time we were there - from our chalet we had about a 20 yard hike slightly uphill and then a short downhill slide to the first lift for us which was the middle of the mountain. I travel for work so I have lots of airline miles. It's easy for me to get airline tickets on miles over the winter so it reduces our cost for that trip. Yes, it is expensive; I kicked $200 on goggles last week but they are really cool! :cool:

ntidsl
11-28-2011, 01:10 PM
I vote for draining at 2am...had a manifold crack on my 87 supra and it only went to 27 or so. Got up hoping to ski, open engine compartment and my bilge had water in it...could see where it was dripping from...one week later, new manifold back on the water but missed a ski day because of it. I never take a chance anymore. After Oct 1, the block gets drained while its still warm, one cup of antifreeze all plugs back in and ready to go for the next weekend.

Thrall
11-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Think I'd have thrown a light or heater under the cover, went back to bed and drained it in the morning, but yeah I wouldn't risk any freezing temps with water in the block.

Lars
11-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I bet he'd have been fine.
My neighbor had his boat sitting on his lift the other morning when it was 14 degrees. Ice was gathering near shore. The boat was resting in the water but still.
What kind of boat? Oh a prostar 197 :D

Patrick Hardy
11-28-2011, 02:17 PM
In my book, a day of skiing is worth any and all 2 AM engine draining routines! I ski and re winterized my 190 all winter long. Never leave anything up to chance.