PDA

View Full Version : Newbie buying 07 x45

jjdawley
11-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Hello and thanks for all of the great information. I am thinking of buying a used 2007 x45 that is available in my area. I just sold a cuddy cabin boat I/O to get an inboard to learn to surf. The boat I am looking at has the MPI 330 hp engine. Does this have engine have enough HP to make a nice surfable wave? Any feedback would be helpful, although it is a great deal I really want to be able to surf it. Thanks, Josh

CottagerGreg
11-24-2011, 12:00 AM
I'd recommend the 6.0 in the x45. The MCX will need an aggressive prop to get outta the hole and maintain speed with lots of weight.

jjdawley
11-24-2011, 12:09 AM
Thank you for the reply. This is the boat available at a very good deal. Would a rookie surfer be disappointed with the wave, surf-ability of the x45 with the 350hp mcx?

Cobra Rob
11-24-2011, 01:30 AM
My buddy has that exact boat.. I have the same one with the ly6..

I use more gas.

With stock setup and a few people they surf all the time.

We have 1500# extra ballast.. Our wave is way bigger with it and I am glad I have the bigger motor.

Basically.. That setup is fine, but the bigger mil allows for more options. I do not think you will be disappointed with your needs.

jjdawley
11-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Thank you Cobra Rob. As a new surfer I am unsure of a couple basics. Do you think I would be able to add the 1500 extra ballast and surf with the smaller hp engine? I understood it to require less HP to go 10 mph (even with extra ballast) than to go 30mph without the ballast. I think I will move ahead with the purchase unless someone advises against it. Thanks again. Josh

Thrall
11-24-2011, 01:29 PM
I think I saw the boat you're talking about. Looks like a good deal for sure. Partly because of the smaller 350hp engine, partly because it's not "loaded" (no tower speakers, cruise instead of PP). That said it's alot of boat for the money and at lower altitudes I think the MCX will be fine. Don't consider it if you're going to run the boat at 4-5kft + alt, IMO, too much power loss. The MCX is probably the most bulletproof engine option though, meaning you can prop it down and run it hard for a long time with no ill effects.
See if it has a low pitch prop, that will be almost a necessity with the MCX/big boat. If not, plan on $5-600 for a prop, less if you can find a good used one. Tower speakers and audio equip will cost $ too if that's what you're into. Has a wake plate, that's a good adder.
Look at other accessories you may want or "need" and compare that with the price of the boat too.
Otherwise, great boat. I got to spend some good time on a 45 this year and it's really awesome. Great wakeboard and surf wakes.
Yes you'll be able to surf with xtra ballast and the MCX no problem IF you get a low pitch prop. I think it takes as much power to keep the boat, loaded down, at surf speed as it does to plane it out though.
Know that to get good holeshot performance out of that boat, topend will suffer, but it's not often (for me anway) that I run over 30-35mph and the MCX will run high rpms all day without fail.

TN X-45
11-24-2011, 03:21 PM
I have an 08 MCX X-45 and have absolutely no problem surfing with lots of weight and no issues with holding speed. I do have PP though, not sure if that makes a difference. I am running the stock prop. If it's a good deal - jump!

luke_bradshaw
11-24-2011, 04:35 PM
I have an '07 X45 w/ the same motor - no issues at all with surfing...still puts off a great wake

V-man
11-24-2011, 08:28 PM
I have an '07 X45 with the 8.l and would not advise any less...Especially if you are looking for a sizable surf wake.

jjdawley
11-24-2011, 10:18 PM
The boat is bank owned and listed on Spokane craigslist for 49k. Since it is bank owned I imagine I could get it for 42K. That would leave me money to put into upgrades. Would this be considered a good deal? If so I think I will try to make it work for a couple years to make sure the surfing is as fun as it looks. Thanks for all of the replies.

V-man
11-24-2011, 11:52 PM
IMHO I would use the money you plan on upgrades to look for a 45 with more power. I guarantee the surfing IS as fun as it looks, but you will need to load the boat up near capacity to get a sizable wake. 1500 lbs will give you a surfable wake, 2500lbs will give you a sizable wake. This is when the fun begins.

SkiDog
11-25-2011, 11:25 AM
An 07 x45 for $49k is a good deal! $42K much better deal! If you can get it for that, then its a no brainer!

Thrall
11-26-2011, 02:23 AM
I'd buy it for $42k!
Prop it down, load it up and surf.

JohnE
11-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Seems like a steal at that price.

Jerseydave
11-26-2011, 08:29 AM
IMHO surfing only requires a fraction of the horsepower since the boat never gets on plane. I think you would be fine with the MCX if the price is right.

If you ever want more power for wakeboarding, etc just add a procharger to it. Then it would be even better than the 6.0 liter. :D

BTW, perfectpass is a must for surfing unless you want to go crazy trying to hold speed by hand @ 10-12 mph.

CantRepeat
11-26-2011, 09:51 AM
If that boat checks out ok then that is a hell of a deal.

You'll be fine with an MCX. My X30 weighs 4600 and the X45 is what 4900? I put an additional 1700 lbs in to surf and it's fine.

AZX46OD
11-28-2011, 05:36 PM
If that boat checks out ok then that is a hell of a deal.

You'll be fine with an MCX. My X30 weighs 4600 and the X45 is what 4900? I put an additional 1700 lbs in to surf and it's fine.

I second that. The MCX will do fine for surfing. You may struggle a bit more with getting on plane for wakeboarding with a full boat of people and ballast. I would worry about that more than surfing-especially over 4000 feet.

CantRepeat
11-28-2011, 05:47 PM
I second that. The MCX will do fine for surfing. You may struggle a bit more with getting on plane for wakeboarding with a full boat of people and ballast. I would worry about that more than surfing-especially over 4000 feet.

Yup, unless you load out all the ballast and put 19 people in the boat, 12 of them up front and have a few beers I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. :rolleyes:

TallRedRider
11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
You will take a beating on resale because of the comments that others are making here. You will need to factor in the fact that you will also be selling the best priced X45 and still be struggling to find the right buyer. So be aware that when it comes time to sell, you have to find a buyer who is just like you and mostly wants to surf with a low pitched prop. I would advise against much ballast with the MCX for wakeboarding in a boat that big.

I am confident that with the MCX you can put more than adequate weight in it for surfing, and the X45 is a killer surf machine.

rgardjr1
11-28-2011, 11:08 PM
The boat is bank owned and listed on Spokane craigslist for 49k. Since it is bank owned I imagine I could get it for 42K. That would leave me money to put into upgrades. Would this be considered a good deal? If so I think I will try to make it work for a couple years to make sure the surfing is as fun as it looks. Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm out in Liberty Lake and can look at the boat with you if you want a second pair of eyes. I work near the Industrial Park so it's only about 5 minutes away.

aaron.
11-29-2011, 08:42 AM
for a newbie you won't notice the difference. get the boat, love the boat, upgrade down the road.

jjdawley
11-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all of the input. The boat does look good and I considered all of the advice. Just as I was getting to jump a great deal on a loaded 2007 malibu vlx with extra ballast etc came up. I decided to go with it. If anyone else is interested this boat did look perfect cosmetically.

CantRepeat
11-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks for all of the input. The boat does look good and I considered all of the advice. Just as I was getting to jump a great deal on a loaded 2007 malibu vlx with extra ballast etc came up. I decided to go with it. If anyone else is interested this boat did look perfect cosmetically.

Sorry about that. :D