PDA

View Full Version : Cruising in your MC

11-13-2011, 02:41 PM
I considering ordering the X-25 and use it mostly watersports, but here in the Panhandle of Florida, a weekend run to some coastal destinations can be 100 miles one way. The X25 with the CSX hull should handle provide a smooth ride, but has anyone here actually cruised with their MC?

If so, what's the longest distance you've gone, and what kind of fuel range have you seen?

thanks!

mikeg205
11-13-2011, 03:06 PM
as in open water?....cruise at 33-35mph? sounds like the beginning of a 3-hour tour... a 3 hour tour.. if you go...bring ginger, the professor and mary anne...just in case...:D:D

snork
11-13-2011, 03:14 PM
as in open water?....cruise at 33-35mph? sounds like the beginning of a 3-hour tour... a 3 hour tour.. if you go...bring ginger, the professor and mary anne...just in case...:D:D

Forget the professor just mary anne and ginger

11-13-2011, 03:40 PM
I'll take Mary Anne all alone.:)

thatsmrmastercraft
11-13-2011, 04:01 PM
I'll take Mary Anne all alone.:)

Mary Anne or Jeanie? Classic question and threadjack in one.:rolleyes:

GT500 MC
11-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Ginger was too done up...MaryAnne has always intrigued me....;)
wow, this thread has gone nowhere...

thatsmrmastercraft
11-13-2011, 04:07 PM
I have yet to cruise any distance in my boat, but would like to go for a run on the St. Croix River next year and see how it goes.

11-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Well, I'll be out cruising by then. I guess since most folks haven't used the boat in this way, I'll have to track range, long term fuel economy, and ride.

If I won the lottery, I'd have a different boat for each type of use, but until then, I have to make do with one boat to do it all.

ahhudgins
11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Never had to cruise in my boat unless it was to find some smoother water. Seems like a waste to drive a MC unless there is someone behind it! :D

Mary Anne is the obvious choice:

thatsmrmastercraft
11-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Never had to cruise in my boat unless it was to find some smoother water. Seems like a waste to drive a MC unless there is someone behind it! :D

Mary Anne is the obvious choice:

Perhaps the choice, but obvious.......I'm not so sure.

T-Rager
11-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Here is a recent photo of Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) now. She was born in 1938.

Happy Cruising.

DooSPX
11-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Ginger was too done up...MaryAnne has always intrigued me....;)
wow, this thread has gone nowhere...

AMEN! :D:D:D

CottagerGreg
11-13-2011, 09:19 PM
I can't really comment on fuel economy as most times I go for a cruise (15 miles each way) I normally have the boat stuffed with 10-12 people as we head to a fish'm chips patio for lunch and beers.

I'd say the 30 miles of boating with PP at 24mph and several no wake zones we use about 6-8gallons (if think)

11-13-2011, 10:03 PM
At least get the CORRECT Jeannie

thatsmrmastercraft
11-14-2011, 12:41 AM
At least get the CORRECT Jeannie

I stand corrected. I should have known I had an imposter.....Jeannie never showed her belly button.

hragsarkissian
11-14-2011, 02:06 AM
My X25SS is docked in a marina so I'm constantly cruising in the open water (Mediterranean sea). Boat does a great job handling chops. I've been through some really rough waves, where id be doing not more than 8-10 mph (this is more the exception than the rule though).

Regarding cruising mileage, I haven't really figured out what I'm getting since i always end up wakeboarding and/or towing a bunch of people so that pretty much messes the numbers up. But, to give you an idea, few weeks ago, drove 25 miles from the marina to a restaurant on the beach, moored, for say 2 hours, then boarded for a good 2 hours and drove back 25 miles. Gas consumption came up to around half (so around 26 gallons for the full day). Cruise speed was around 30 mph.

Keep in mind that wakeboarding/skiing or any other kind of towing will drastically affect your numbers. A day of cruising (without watersports) would give you a much better fuel economy. One more thing, since my boat is docked in saltwater constantly, I have anti-fouling which affects performance and efficiency noticeably (top speed reduced to around 33-35mph). Using the the trim plate does so as well (a must in open seas).

I've had a very successful first season with my boat, and i wouldn't recommend anything else for the open sea. I've cruised a lot with it, and i can safely say it does a great job at it.

willyt
11-14-2011, 08:20 AM
I don't know, but these estimates seem a little low to me. I've done the new Richmond to ludlow bromley and up and down the licking (my fellow Ohio river rats will know what I'm talking about) but we probably covered 60 miles + and were out all day. I have a 05 X2 and went through a tank and a quarter (~45 gallons). Granted, we put in at 9am and drove back by moonlight, and wakeboarded a lot during the day, but the 205V hull is darn efficient when it comes to cruising, so I would expect a 25 to burn a lot more (cruising speed was about 25/27 mph).

gatorguy
11-14-2011, 10:01 AM
At lake powell I drove my ps205 from the marina to our camp a few different times. It was a 30mile one way trip, and I filled up at the marina and again when we got back to the house boat. Averaged 30mph, but had to slow for areas of rough water in the main channel. I used around 7-10 gal if I remember correctly.

carlsonwa
11-14-2011, 11:40 AM
I have yet to cruise any distance in my boat, but would like to go for a run on the St. Croix River next year and see how it goes.

I went from Hudson to Prescott one afternoon. Didn't take long to get down there. Would be fun to start heading down the Mississippi then.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I went from Hudson to Prescott one afternoon. Didn't take long to get down there. Would be fun to start heading down the Mississippi then.

Up and down the Mississippi is a fun run. I have done it on other boats and had a great time. The only downside is if you get clogged up at a lock waiting for a barge to work it's way through.