PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas For A Depth Finder?

BARE5
11-12-2011, 06:12 PM
New to Mastercraft Boats. Looking for a depth finder for an 89' Prostar? Any suggestions at all?

east tx skier
11-12-2011, 10:06 PM
I have a Faria with depth, air temp and water temp. I like it.

LaRue
11-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I have a Faria with depth, air temp and water temp. I like it.

Same here.

Spork
11-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Livorsi depth sounder here, although it's probably made by faria just branded differently

thatsmrmastercraft
11-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I was planning on just the depth, but the temp options sound good. One more thing for the spring list.

jakethebt
11-13-2011, 09:16 AM
One thing to consider is where the transponder mounts. The temp is a great feature but many i have seen mount externally to the transom. One that I saw that was depth only mounted on the keel in the bilge. That made for a nicer install but no temps.

Hey Eastie, where does your transponder mount? Any pics?

east tx skier
11-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Ran it out the old hole for the Airguide speedo.

Replaced old PP paddlewheel with a specially sized thru-hull depth transducer.

Miss Rita
11-13-2011, 11:46 PM
If you want just a depth finder I'd recommend Humminbird. Mine works so well I don't even have it glued to the bilge floor.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-14-2011, 12:33 AM
If you want just a depth finder I'd recommend Humminbird. Mine works so well I don't even have it glued to the bilge floor.

The price is really right on that unit too.

Barefooter92
11-14-2011, 12:14 PM
I went with a Lowrance 3800. This unit has depth and water temp with no holes to drill in the hull. I just removed the clock and it fit like a charm even used all the same wires. I installed the temp sensor in the raw water intake hose.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I went with a Lowrance 3800. This unit has depth and water temp with no holes to drill in the hull. I just removed the clock and it fit like a charm even used all the same wires. I installed the temp sensor in the raw water intake hose.

Sounds like a simple answer. It shows up on Amazon for $148. Not bad at all.

east tx skier
11-14-2011, 04:57 PM

The whole reason I never had a depth finder on my old MC was because I never wanted to get rid of the clock, which was about the most useful gauge in the set.

When I put the Faria Depth gauge on my current boat, I had a blank on the other side of the set that I filled with a, you guessed it, Faria clock.

Love having an analog clock in plain view.

russlars
12-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Ran it out the old hole for the Airguide speedo.
Would you mind telling me exactly how you ran the water temperature sensor out of your old speedo tube. Since I have Perfect Pass I no longer need one of my speedometers and would like to get a temperature sensor out the transom without drilling any more holes.

east tx skier
12-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Would you mind telling me exactly how you ran the water temperature sensor out of your old speedo tube. Since I have Perfect Pass I no longer need one of my speedometers and would like to get a temperature sensor out the transom without drilling any more holes.

I gave the man at the boat dealership money.

/probably should have mentioned that I was using the royal "I."

//He may have drilled out the hole a little bit for all I know.

///I'll check my computer at home for pictures of the process wherein I swiped my credit card. ;)

ahhudgins
12-17-2011, 10:40 AM
The whole reason I never had a depth finder on my old MC was because I never wanted to get rid of the clock, which was about the most useful gauge in the set.

When I put the Faria Depth gauge on my current boat, I had a blank on the other side of the set that I filled with a, you guessed it, Faria clock.

Love having an analog clock in plain view.

My MC clock works about 50% of the time and I wanted to replace it or remove it and install a depth gauge. I did a quick Google search and came up with this one. I'm guessing the price is a typo?
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=32464&familyName=Quicksilver+International+II+Clock

I either want a digital clock or I'll go with a depth gauge.

Spork
12-17-2011, 10:48 AM
My MC clock works about 50% of the time and I wanted to replace it or remove it and install a depth gauge. I did a quick Google search and came up with this one. I'm guessing the price is a typo?
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=32464&familyName=Quicksilver+International+II+Clock

I either want a digital clock or I'll go with a depth gauge.

It's part rolex:D

Hoosier Bob
12-17-2011, 11:31 AM
I have a Humminbird. I went to the auto section at Walmart and purchased a small black flatsided trashcan. Cut the hole in the bottom and mounted the flatside on the center kickpanel. It works great, looks even better and was cheap. Oh, I got to keep my clock.:D

Barefooter92
12-19-2011, 04:28 PM
My MC clock was broke and no way to adjust so it was a no brainer. I have the clock if anyone can fit it and use it.

While in the boat we are on LAKE TIME! If you cant read the sun you dont need to know what time it is!

east tx skier
12-19-2011, 05:07 PM
That clock is a bit pricey. I think my Faria clock only cost around $40.

ahhudgins
12-19-2011, 05:13 PM
That clock is a bit pricey. I think my Faria clock only cost around $40.

That sounds more like it.

east tx skier
12-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Okay, so maybe it was more like $50.

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/FAR/FAR13152.html

Super1990
04-24-2012, 09:37 PM
I bought a faria with the Air and water temp and I also bought the through Hull transponder for a Prostar 205 and I was wondering where to mount the transponder through the hull.

Hogwild
04-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Call me an idiot for asking this question, but how does the depth finder work and how do I find out where the transducer is mounted? I tried following the cables behind the throttle and all the way to the transom but I can't tell where the cable goes from there or where the transducer is hidden.

04-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Call me an idiot for asking this question, but how does the depth finder work and how do I find out where the transducer is mounted? I tried following the cables behind the throttle and all the way to the transom but I can't tell where the cable goes from there or where the transducer is hidden.

Didnt we review this the other day???

east tx skier
04-24-2012, 10:40 PM
I bought a faria with the Air and water temp and I also bought the through Hull transponder for a Prostar 205 and I was wondering where to mount the transponder through the hull.

Is it a thru-hull or an in hull? The former requires that a hole be drilled. The latter can be epoxied to the bilge in an optimal spot, i.e. thin part of the bilge and hull.

Super1990
04-24-2012, 10:45 PM
It is a through hull. That is why I don't want to mess up where I drill a hole through my boat. I am looking for the stock location that Mastercraft uses for the hole.

east tx skier
04-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Not sure on that. I put men where the perfect pass paddle wheel used to be. Seems like you would want a location with little disruption of the water ahead of the hole.

Hogwild
04-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Didnt we review this the other day???

pm sent