PDA

View Full Version : Might Get '95 225 Maristar Bowrider, Opinions?

duramaxxed
11-08-2011, 08:25 PM
I Found a '95 225 Maristar at a Local Dealer that I wanna go Look at, and possibly Buy. The Dealer is barely a 1/4 Mile from my House, I could Walk there if I wanted, and I Pass it Every Day.

Is this a Good / Bad Year for this Model? What should I Look for? Ect...

I've been around Boats / 'Ski's since I was Young, and I am quite the Motorhead, so I know the Basic things to Look for, but maybe there is some Model Specific things to Look for?

So far, from that Ad, the Boat has: 85 Total Hours, Remanufactured PCM350 with 280HP only 5 hours, Nibral prop (3 Blade), Mooring Cover, New Upholstery & Carpet. The Dealer that has it For Sale is the same Dealer that Sold it when it was New, so IMO, that's a Plus. I don't believe it comes with a Trailer, and they are Asking $11,995.

From the Pictures, it Looks Nice & Clean.

What do ya'll think?

mikeg205
11-08-2011, 08:34 PM
85 total hours? hmmmm and a rebuilt motor?

cmarty123
11-08-2011, 08:45 PM
We bought the same boat 1 year ago and had a great summer with it. No complaints at all. It depends what you want to do with it though. The wake is OK for skiing, but not great. It could be good for wakeboarding if you add some ballast in the back. It has a lot of room.

My biggest concern would be the lack of trailer. It makes it really hard to sell. This could be good for you though if you don't need a trailer, and could be something to negotiate/discuss.

I was looking at a 225 back in August of last year without a trailer. It was in average shape. The price was right, but I couldn't find a trailer. I e-mailed him later and said he only got $8500 for it. I would guess your boat with a trailer would be worth $13-$15k. Hope this helps...

waterlogged882
11-08-2011, 08:47 PM

jakethebt
11-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Something is goofy with the engine hours. If 85 hours was correct, there would be no need for a rebuild. That year should have around 500 to 1000 hours or so I would think. Anything in the 200s would be low. Good news is that you wont have far to travel for inspection...

duramaxxed
11-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Could it have come with a Smaller Engine from the Factory, and this Reman. was Installed for more Power? Or it wasn't Used much, and the "Old" Motor just Crapped Out?

Boat Hours around here vary ALOT. You can Find some Boats that are a Year or 2 Old, and have an Outrageous Amount on them, whereas something like this is as Old as it is, and barely has any Hours on it.

Case in point, my Current Boat. It's an '07 and has 9 Hours on it. My 'Ski I Sold before my Current Boat was a '99 and had 98 Hours when I Sold it.

Some People are Out every Day, other are out only about 5-6 Times a Season. Alot of People will just Drive to a few of the Islands in the Bay, and Hang for the Day. Stuff like that isn't really gonna Rack Up the Hours.

But if this Dealer Sold it when it was New, hopefully they Serviced it the whole Time, and will know the History and why the Motor was Replaced so Early.

LaRue
11-08-2011, 09:31 PM
85 total hours? hmmmm and a rebuilt motor?

And new carpet and vinyl?? Seems odd

zamboniman
11-09-2011, 11:19 AM
85 hours on the rebuilt maybe?

Also not saying right or wrong but I'm sure it happens more than not... perhaps a hour gauge replacement that wasn't set to the original hour count.

FrankSchwab
11-09-2011, 02:01 PM
I'd get the history first.

If the 85 hours is true, then someone bought it, ran it for a summer, then parked it out back for 15 years. Carpet and vinyl got destroyed due to weather, engine seized from lack of use (or block cracked due to no winterization). Son grew up, got dad's old boat, and restored it.

If this is the case, you'll probably have a few issues (transmission could have been damaged, maybe some corroded electrical, maybe need a new steering cable, bilge pump, blower, or transmission cooler), but it should be a fine boat as long as the carpet and vinyl were done well. There just aren't that many things to go wrong on an unused Mastercraft if the engine has been rebuilt.

If you're willing to work out a few gremlins, everything I've heard says they're a fine boat.

/frank

gr82bgreen
11-09-2011, 03:09 PM
I Found a '95 225 Maristar at a Local Dealer that I wanna go Look at, and possibly Buy. The Dealer is barely a 1/4 Mile from my House, I could Walk there if I wanted, and I Pass it Every Day.

I've been around Boats / 'Ski's since I was Young, and I am quite the Motorhead, so I know the Basic things to Look for, but maybe there is some Model Specific things to Look for?

So far, from that Ad, the Boat has: 85 Total Hours, Remanufactured PCM350 with 280HP only 5 hours, Nibral prop (3 Blade), Mooring Cover, New Upholstery & Carpet. The Dealer that has it For Sale is the same Dealer that Sold it when it was New, so IMO, that's a Plus. I don't believe it comes with a Trailer, and they are Asking $11,995.

What do ya'll think?
I have a 95 200vrs, same boat, only 2 ft shorter. Its a good all around boat but not great at either slalom wake or wakeboard wake. It rides really nice and is roomy and good on gas. I would think you could find a well maintained one for the same price with a trailer. For a few thousand more you could get a 98 or 99 which is a newer body style and I think looks way better.

NatesGr8
11-09-2011, 03:38 PM

What do ya'll think?

You got a link to the ad somewhere??? Would like to see what it says.

duramaxxed
11-09-2011, 03:58 PM
You got a link to the ad somewhere??? Would like to see what it says.

http://www.hamptonwatercraft.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=03496363X11K9K2011J2I57I5 2JPMQ3245R0&veh=2347054

NatesGr8
11-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Looks to be in good shape. Seems to me like it was a boat that got swamped or flooded and then was repaired. Or maybe it just sat uncovered all the time. Some others will know better than me but i didn't realize PCM was an engine option for MC's in '95.

gr82bgreen
11-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Looks to be in good shape. Seems to me like it was a boat that got swamped or flooded and then was repaired. Or maybe it just sat uncovered all the time. Some others will know better than me but i didn't realize PCM was an engine option for MC's in '95.

that engine looks identical to mine which is an indmar 5.7l tbi 275hp.

FrankSchwab
11-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Is there a closed cooling system on that engine? I see what may be a heat exchanger on the top of the engine with a radiator cap on it.

ahhudgins
11-09-2011, 08:08 PM
I just have a bad feeling about the whole "85 hour on the boat, and 5 hours on the engine" unless I could get the whole story. Most of the screws on the dash have been over tightened and have cracked the panels too. And no trailer.....hmmmm? It just reeks of a boat that's been neglected. Take if for a test drive and make sure everything electrical works.

duramaxxed
11-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I dunno, goin by the Input on here, this Might be one to Pass Up.

I REALLY don't Want a Money Pit on my Hands.

There's nothing Wrong with my Current Boat ('07 Speedster 150), I just want something Bigger, or at least Roomier.

Jerseydave
11-09-2011, 09:02 PM
It all depend on what you want to do with it (slalom, wakeboard, etc.)
Years ago I thought about getting one of these hulls, but my dealer showed me a newer Maristar 230 with a tower and even though it was more $$ I was glad I chose that instead.

If you mostly slalom, you could find many prostar 190's and 205's under $15K.

BTW, I'm guessing this boat was somewhat neglected in the Hamptons and used in salt water which killed the original engine in short order. Interior looks nice and if there is some waranty on the engine you should be ok.

duramaxxed
11-09-2011, 09:05 PM
It'll be Used for Cruising In the Bay and Tubing.

That's another Question I got, how are these Boats in Chop? Not necessarily White Caps, but a nice Chop.

In the Mornings when I go Out, it'll be like Glass, I come Home in the Afternoon, and it's Choppy as hell. Little to no Wind either.

I know these are Wide and Low Riding Boats, so my Guess is they aren't too Good in Chop.

ttu
11-09-2011, 09:17 PM
while the boat may seen to have questions about the hours on the engine and the hull itself it looks very clean overall.

boat would be a good overall in the light to medium chop. if you do a test drive and all checks out i see no reason not to buy the boat if it's in your price range.

ahhudgins
11-09-2011, 10:20 PM
It'll be Used for Cruising In the Bay and Tubing.

That's another Question I got, how are these Boats in Chop? Not necessarily White Caps, but a nice Chop.

In the Mornings when I go Out, it'll be like Glass, I come Home in the Afternoon, and it's Choppy as hell. Little to no Wind either.

I know these are Wide and Low Riding Boats, so my Guess is they aren't too Good in Chop.

That hull does not ride as low as a 190 hull (direct drive). If you are going to ride in a lot of chop, a direct drive hull will beat you up a little bit. I also noticed that there is no pylon in the floor or in front of the sun deck. This seems to be a common issue for this year/style of boat. I can't see one in the pictures, but there should be a small panel between the ski locker and bildge cover that covers the pylon mount. If you pull a tube from the rear eyes, the rope will be dragging in the water a lot. I had to use the rear tow eyes for a few months until I fabricated a pylon in front of the sun deck. It's easier to install a pylon in the center of the floor but you lose the rear seat when you are pulling someone.

If that mooring cover is the same as the original MC cover, it goes under the platform so it sits in the water. I had to have a custom cover made for mine ($500) so I could put the cover on when the boat is in the water over night. I see a row of snaps above the platform, but I had to install snaps just below the sun pad in order to keep the new cover out of the water.

ahhudgins
11-09-2011, 10:42 PM
If you zoom in on the pic, you can see the panel behind the ski locker.