PDA

View Full Version : 08 MC Trailer

dihrdskir
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
As my present ride is my first ever MC, I have a question for all MC owners with OEM MC trailers. Does your trailer rattle and sound like 100 Hare Krishnas on tambourines as you drive over bumps down the highway? Are my expectations too high or is everyone else's trailer seen and not heard as I believe they should be? Mine is fitted with 4 wheel discs with Kodiak calipers and the noise seems to be coming from the brake pads floating in the caliper. I am assuming they are the original pads and they stop the thing just fine, but the noise is driving me crazy and makes what is an expensive item sound cheap. I have owned a succession of both Australian made and other US manufactured trailers such as boatmate and extreme and this is the first time I have encountered any problems like this. :confused:

kskonn
11-07-2011, 02:36 PM
My trailer does not rattle like that. On my old trailer it did, but that was because the calipers had been disconnected. My new trailer does not make much noise at all.

ttu
11-07-2011, 02:39 PM
yes, my 07 rattles all the time!:mad:

setidball
11-07-2011, 02:45 PM
My '95 MC trailer has a lot of creaking from the springs but no noise from the brakes. S

scott023
11-07-2011, 03:03 PM
The only noise on my '08 trailer is from the trailer jack wheel.

dihrdskir
11-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. My trailer jack also joins in the symphony. Most of the noise on mine comes from the brake pads, but there is a bit of everything. Most pads in automotive applications have springs or clips attached to the backing,. Mine do not, Does anyone know whether this is standard OEM?

bjames
11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
The only noise I hear when pulling my trailler is comming from the passenger seat next to me...:rant:

kidding.. thank god my wife dosnt read my posts :D

The sueaking may also be comming from your trailler suspension, dipping in water frequently could be washing off all the lubricant. My older trailer squeaked all the time. You can try lubricating things. Also what i thought was squeeking from the trailler ended up being from my rear suspension on my truck.

obsessed
11-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Sorry for the hijack...
But can anyone tell me what size bearings I need to replace on my 08 x2 trailer?
I just bought the boat and have to tow it home 600 miles, figure it would be best to replace them.

macattack
11-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Here is another thread on this subject with a possible solution...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31115&highlight=brake+noise

TXMC-06X2
11-07-2011, 09:11 PM
My trailer did the samething even when the brakes were working, so i ended up taking off the brakes completely. However, i would not recommend this unless you have a big enough tow vehicle to stop the boat without brakes. Probably not the best solution, but it got rid of the noise!!

dihrdskir
11-07-2011, 09:56 PM
There is a whole thread on this subject with a possible solution...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31115&highlight=brake+noise
Thanks Macattack. I sure needed a prod in that direction and I will certainly give it a try. The solution was found a couple of years back. Is it a long term solution or something to add into the annual maintenance schedule?

obsessed
11-08-2011, 05:50 AM
bump on the question about which bearings... Anyone have an idea?

macattack
11-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks Macattack. I sure needed a prod in that direction and I will certainly give it a try. The solution was found a couple of years back. Is it a long term solution or something to add into the annual maintenance schedule?

Not a problem! Hopefully P-Hat and Sodar will chime in shortly with a status report since they applied this product to their brake pads a year or so ago...mac

eurosysytem0
11-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Another Trailer Story-in the UK. I have a 2005 X7 on a custom built (supplied by Mastercraft UK) single axle braked trailer. I use the trailer twice a year to tow from winter storage to lake and back (7 miles). I pump bearings full of grease every year.
Three weeks ago I winterised the boat and started my tow to winter storage. 3 miles out the inside wheel started smoking and began to vibrate. Stopped to check and found wheel was about to drop off. Called out a recovery company to put trailer on low loader to get back to lake. That took 6 hrs on a cold Saturday night. Cost 750 /$1000. Cost of repair to trailer because inside Wheel, Bearings (inner and outer totally failed and disappeared), Stub axle and brakes damaged and the supplier/manufacturer (Bradley)would only supply axle complete with stub axles two set of brakes drums etc.Also new wheel.Toal Cost 1100/$1500.

As an aside a set of inner and outer bearings only cost 50/$75.

You can be guaranteed that in future every year I will disassemble bearings, wash, check grease or replace if needed!!!!.

The only upside is the wheel didnt fall off and the boat was undameged.

Total cost of incident 1850/$2500.