PDA

View Full Version : Winterization thoughts

Chester
10-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Had boat winterized at "drive thru " promotion near home this am. I recently tuned up, changed fluids, etc. While there had perko flush valve installed. Question is the way boat was winterized. According to shop owner, this is the way he has done it for 22 years without problem. They connected new perko valve to hose from 55 gallon drum of marine antifreeze. Exhaust liquid was collected in large pan placed behind and under boat. This fluid was recirculated aprox 15 minutes until temp was 160 or so. Added stabil to tank for same amount of run time and that's all there was to it. No plugs removed. What does everyone think. Thanks, learning as I go.

Ben
10-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Depending on what all you want to to do winterize, that could be fine. I would question the contents of the 55 gallon drum. Was he recycling the fluid from the pan into the drum? At some point, this fluid would get diluted due to the water in the engine block(s).... I would want to be 1st or 2nd in line...

Assuming the antifreeze mix is good, and your engine warmed up enough to open the thermostats, your engine in probably fine for the winter. There are many other things people do to winterize, including:

Fog cylinders (pull plugs)
Pull impeller
Change trans fluid
Drain ballast, heater, etc
Fog carb (if not fuel inj).
etc
etc

Depends how much you want to do, but I would say your boat is likely safe for freezing weather....

Chester
10-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Sorry, sounded confusing, he ran antifreeze out of the drum until the collecting pan was primed and then recirculated from the pan to the motor. Maybe 10 gallons or so. I asked about dilution from the block and he said with the amount of antifreeze circulating effect was negligible. Motor is 330 ltr fuel injected and I had previously changed oil and trans fluid. No ballast, and have new impeller ready for spring. Thanks

Skipper
10-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Freezing water can damage the engine. That is why the water must be removed. It is possible to simply drain most of the water from the engine. Pouring anti-freeze into the drained engine is a way of getting anti-freeze into those places the water may not have been removed to prevent freezing damage. Running the boat and circulating anti-freeze replaces the water with the anti-freeze. So long as the concentration of anti-freeze remains strong enough to prevent freezing and the engine is run long enough to get the anti-freeze through more than just the exhaust it should be just fine.

east tx skier
10-29-2011, 02:29 PM
If he has antifreeze in a recirculation system and the water in your block is drained outside of that system, I wouldn't worry. If he is adding everyone that uses the system's water from the block to the system, I would be concerned that you may have gotten something diluted.

sleeporbutter
10-30-2011, 11:47 AM
No worries. I winterize differently on my own 197, but witnessed the same procedure you speak of while I was at a M/C dealer. I spoke to them about the process and it looks like a great way to winterize.

Thrall
10-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Depends how far southeast you are. Could be diluted 50/50 and still protect you from the occasional freeze. If they ran it long enough to get the engine up to temp and it's not real cold by you I'd say you're fine.

Nvrgvup
10-30-2011, 09:04 PM
That's a similar way the marina I go to winterizes. I like that they run it on the AF from start and up to temp.

masterx
10-31-2011, 11:09 PM
I have a 2004 x star winterizing the boat myself,
where exactly is the exhaust manifold drain plugs
do you remove the exhaust manifold drain plug and the drain plug at the lower side of the engine block before running and freeze through?

east tx skier
11-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Which engine is on your X-star? Do you see two hoses that connect with a quick connect just about the transmission? If so, break those hoses at the quick connect and that's your exhaust manifold drain.

If not, they are on the back of the exhaust manifold risers below the exhaust hose connection.