PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme Heaters for Winterization

magnum
10-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Does anyone have one of these heaters in use, Just wonder if they really take the place of not winterizing your boat http://www.xtremeheaters.com/

Cary K.
10-27-2011, 07:40 AM
I don't use that kind of heater, but I do have two magnetic block heaters. They are plugged into a thermostatic outlet that turns on at 35* and back off again at 45*. I have used this method for prob close to 10 years with success. Granted I keep the boat in a garage and NC doesn't get terribly cold. All I have to do is unplug it and go.

ricford
10-27-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't know how cold it gets it Arkansas, but what happens if the power goes out, or a breaker trips and you don't realize it till it's too late. It takes less than half an hour to drain the block and then you don't have to worry.

NatesGr8
10-27-2011, 09:50 AM
I too use a bilge heater but not that brand, cant remember what it is off hand. I too have a programmable thermostat, set it to kick on at 32 and off at 38. Gotta keep the electricity bill down!!! That being said I also fully winterize just in case the power goes out for a few days during an ice storm.

skishack90
10-27-2011, 10:05 AM
I looked at these heaters last year and I ended up not buying one, but I am still interested in getting one. I live on the gulf coast, and we only get below freezing temperatures a few times a year, if that. I ski/ride year round, so I do not winterize.

Last year I decided to stick it out, and the few times that it did freeze, I woke up in the middle of the night once or twice to run the boats so that the engine or bilge would not crack.

My hesitation about these heaters is that I keep my boats on their trailers and I have noticed that, for a couple of the heaters, (not Xtreme), the description says the heater is not sufficient for boats that are kept on a hoist or trailer. My boat is not in a garage. They are covered under the carport, but are still at the mercy of ambient air temps.

Is this the case for the "Xtreme" brand also? What size would I want to get for a 197 and an X-Star, respectively.

Like I said, I am not looking for a replacement to winterization because we use the boats year round. I just need something to keep me comfortable on those cold nights so that I can get a good night's rest.

edge0
10-27-2011, 01:45 PM
I would NEVER take that chance and I sure as heck don't want to be getting up in the middle of the night to run the boat. BUT.....I live in the Chicago land area so.

mikeg205
10-27-2011, 02:28 PM
drain block - rinse with -50 below rv antifreeze... no worries... if ambient air temps drop below -50...we'll have other issues... lol...(I know some folks who use -100 antifreeze)....

MattsCraft
10-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Kind off off topic, but keep in mind the RV antifreeze ratings are "Burst Rates" so -50 is the burst protection number in copper pipes, PVC is higher, freeze will be higher, closer to -15. I used -200 diluted 1 to 1 which gives you -68 burst and -28 freeze.

I agree, dry blocking is really not hard, antifreeze for the extra piece of mind:D

mikeg205
10-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Kind off off topic, but keep in mind the RV antifreeze ratings are "Burst Rates" so -50 is the burst protection number in copper pipes, PVC is higher, freeze will be higher, closer to -15. I used -200 diluted 1 to 1 which gives you -68 burst and -28 freeze.

I agree, dry blocking is really not hard, antifreeze for the extra piece of mind:D

good point on the burst protection... see you learn all sorts of great stuff here..thanks....

magnum
10-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Ski Shack- From looking at their web site, probably the small would work for a 197 and medium for a Xstar - just to provide extra heat for all the ballast tanks. I have already drained the block and ballast tanks this year but just looking for an easier and faster way to winterize

thatsmrmastercraft
10-28-2011, 10:44 AM

That is as simple as it gets. Works for me in Minnesota winters. No sleepless night regarding the boat - I only have to worry about the truck starting in the morning.