PDA

View Full Version : Mold/Mildew on Bimini Top

CHaus21
10-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Any suggestions on how to remove this mold/mildew from the underside of my bimini top?

I'm afraid to use any thing too strong that might damage the fabric or color of the bimini.

Have any of you had a similar issue?

east tx skier
10-26-2011, 07:43 PM
If it's sunbrella, just remove it from the frame and toss it in the washing machine with some mild detergent (no bleach). Make sure it's not a washing machine with no oscillator. Do a double rinse cycle and hang it to dry.

Pressure washer on a low setting and not used to closely will probably work, too.

In either case, might want to soak it in a detergent solution first.

boater8987
10-26-2011, 09:57 PM
After washing, make sure you retreat with 3M 303 High tech fabric guard because you just washed it out.

Excellent protectant for Sunbrella upholstery and breathable foul weather gear

The only repellency product recommended by and for Sunbrella. Restores lasting water repellency to marine canvas. Stops leaks and protects against soiling and water and oil-based stains. Resists mildew formation and UV sun damage. Spray on, let dry. One pint treats 75100 square feet of marine canvas. Also a great choice for fabric upholstery, carpeting and breathable foul-weather gear.

Pint, quart or gallon

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=444689&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10104&subdeptNum=10379&classNum=11065

madcityskier
10-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Had great luck with chlorine dioxide. Kills spores to keep mold/mildew from coming back. Not as harsh on colors as chlorine bleach. As with anything do a small test area just to be sure, but I've used it on auto carpet, auto fabric seats, and marine vinyl and covers no problem. Most easliy available as PermaWash from Zinsser. Mix with warm water, wipe, rinse. Works great on odors too.

ggroller
10-27-2011, 08:14 AM
I had the same thing happen to mine and nothing I tried worked. I tried 3M mold and mildew remover, pressure washing with hot and cold water, and various detergents.

sand2snow22
10-27-2011, 03:37 PM
I have had success with Resolve triple action. Spray on, let it soak, do it's thing then scrub rub with a rag. Rinse and repeat. Good luck.

east tx skier
10-27-2011, 08:15 PM
After washing, make sure you retreat with 3M 303 High tech fabric guard because you just washed it out.

Excellent protectant for Sunbrella upholstery and breathable foul weather gear

The only repellency product recommended by and for Sunbrella. Restores lasting water repellency to marine canvas. Stops leaks and protects against soiling and water and oil-based stains. Resists mildew formation and UV sun damage. Spray on, let dry. One pint treats 75100 square feet of marine canvas. Also a great choice for fabric upholstery, carpeting and breathable foul-weather gear.

Pint, quart or gallon

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=444689&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10104&subdeptNum=10379&classNum=11065

Apply that stuff far away from the boat and most other things. It's great, but if it gets on gel coat or upholstery, it's a mess.