PDA

View Full Version : Crack!

blairternowski
10-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Hey everyone,

I am new to the whole boating scene, and looking at buying a bank repossession through a bailiff company that I do some work for. Its a 2006 Mastercraft X star, with about 250 hours on the motor ( I dont know any of the fine details on the boat). I had my first viewing of the boat yesterday and i noticed a crack in the hull.. has anyone had a repair done to their boat like this before? what am I expecting for a price for the repair? I need some ammunition so i can barter with the banks of the final price. Let me know if any of you have had to fix something like this before

Thanks!

ttu
10-26-2011, 02:14 PM
is it just in the gel coat or thru that. i would be a little worried buying it unless the price was way to good to walk away.

Table Rocker
10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
I would think that the crack had to open up fairly wide to tear through those graphics like that.

willyt
10-26-2011, 02:44 PM
is it just in the gel coat or thru that. i would be a little worried buying it unless the price was way to good to walk away.

I agree - something not right about the crack going through the vynl graphics like that. That's definitely a significant issue...

76S&S
10-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I would think that the crack had to open up fairly wide to tear through those graphics like that.

I agree, if it tore through the graphics it had to be a good size gap at some point.

shepherd
10-26-2011, 04:09 PM
If that crack is in the hull and not just the graphics, I'd walk away from it. Fiberglass is pretty tough stuff, so a deep crack in it suggests to me either a manufacturing defect or some serious abuse by the prior owner. But I could be wrong.... :rolleyes:

helton333
10-26-2011, 04:13 PM
sideways hit? Either that or could it possibly be done from reentry on a HUGE launch off a wave -off shore type wave?

waterlogged882
10-26-2011, 05:07 PM

zamboniman
10-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Run... the other way. Don't look back

Huskie05
10-26-2011, 05:44 PM
agree, pass. Makes me wonder what else could be cracked or wrong. :confused:

sand2snow22
10-26-2011, 05:54 PM
It's hard to tell from the picture, but are you 100% sure it's a crack and not a scratch?

boater8987
10-26-2011, 09:37 PM
You can use a magnifying glass to inspect the area to see if it is a crack or scratch. Being that you are new to boating you should have a boat survey done on the entire boat and let a professional surveyor decide if you should walk away or not. Cheap insurance against making a bad decision. And fiberglass is very repairable its done every day. Depends on how much you are paying for boat vs how much repair is. Let a professional decide for you. There is a lot more to check out in a boat besides the hull condition. ;)

Jerseydave
10-27-2011, 05:57 PM
You can use a magnifying glass to inspect the area to see if it is a crack or scratch. Being that you are new to boating you should have a boat survey done on the entire boat and let a professional surveyor decide if you should walk away or not. Cheap insurance against making a bad decision. And fiberglass is very repairable its done every day. Depends on how much you are paying for boat vs how much repair is. Let a professional decide for you. There is a lot more to check out in a boat besides the hull condition. ;)

I agree with getting a survey done before purchase. It will also give you leverage to get the price dropped.

Where on the side of the boat is this crack? I would bet since it's an X-star the owner hit lots of double-ups with it. If you find out the owner was a pro rider or even regional pro I'd pass on it....those guys don't usually baby their boats.

mikeg205
10-27-2011, 08:44 PM
run...just run..unless they pay you to take the boat....

waterlogged882
10-27-2011, 10:06 PM

jimmies1
10-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Really need more info. What kind of boat? Where is that crack? How close up is that photo....?

Lars
10-28-2011, 12:20 AM
lifetime warranty on the hulls right? :D