PDA

View Full Version : Can any one make sense out of this Diacom Marine Service Report

vrsc
10-25-2011, 08:07 PM
This is another boat I am seriously looking at and hoping to purchase on Saturday (after a wet test). It isn't close enough for me to wet test in person (right now) and is at a reputable dealer (4 hours away) so I paid to have a the boat tested. Diacome Marine service report is what the tech used and this is what I recieved. The tech and sales person said that the engine reported back perfect and the compression test showed 180 to 200 psi on all cylinders (but I don't see that spelled out on this report).
Anyone's knowledgeable thoughts would be appreciated.

ahhudgins
10-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Get the pressure test IN WRITING. I'm not saying that I don't trust dealerships.....well, yes I am (Long story). The engine might be "perfect" but it wasn't even ran long enough to get the engine up to temperature. When you go for the test drive, make sure you get the engine up to temperature and then cut it off and restart it a few times. Good luck!

mikeg205
10-25-2011, 08:53 PM
in writing does not matter..it would be a civil issue not a criminal issue unless you could prove fraud. therefore it will be money for lawyers or parts.... 4 hours away..wake up 5 am beat at dealer at 9:30 (including a potty stop).... wet test... have lunch ...be home by 5:00pm... I agree with ah...

vrsc
10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
The down payment I'll be placing will be a refundable credit card deposit and I won't purchase the boat until I have extensiviely wet test it. Anything on this attached test stand out (good or bad)

vrsc
10-25-2011, 09:13 PM
I do have copies available to me of the service records (owner service it religiously)
Boat is described as follows:
ACME CNC Propeller upgrade, with an extra standard prop as spare.
All records of maintenance (oil/oil filter changes, timing belt, fuel filters, transmission fluid, impeller, etc.) Boat comes with extra oil filters, extra fuel filters, and extra timing belt, along w/ other maintenance items that go with this boat.
Brand new battery, oil filter and oil, impeller, trailer winch strap.

mikeg205
10-25-2011, 09:25 PM
I do have copies available to me of the service records (owner service it religiously)
All records of maintenance (oil/oil filter changes, timing belt, fuel filters, transmission fluid, impeller, etc.) Boat comes with extra oil filters, extra fuel filters, and extra timing belt, along w/ other maintenance items that go with this boat.

looks like another OCD MC'r selling a boat.....appears like it was meticulously cared for...another thing you might be able to get is a computer read out of how the motor was run...not sure if available in 1999. Too Tall on this site had Liquid Edge in Illinois do a computer diagnostic and was able to tell how many hours were spent at what rpm... not that's cool.

vrsc
10-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks! Yeah, boat definetly looks like it it has been cared for. The boat is at a Nautiques dealer on consignment since the owner purchased a Nautique.

Hammer
10-26-2011, 08:15 AM

I pretty sure a 350 does not have a timing belt. The chevy 350 has a timing chain unless it has been converted at some point, which I would highly doubt unless it has tons of performance upgrades. Just be aware that some have no clue what they are talking about. And I may be one of them. Just sayin'

CantRepeat
10-26-2011, 09:07 AM
I pretty sure a 350 does not have a timing belt. The chevy 350 has a timing chain unless it has been converted at some point, which I would highly doubt unless it has tons of performance upgrades. Just be aware that some have no clue what they are talking about. And I may be one of them. Just sayin'

I would assume they are talking bout the fan/alternator belt.

10-26-2011, 09:27 AM
I have dealt with Henrich in the past. The boat looks clean and I am sure he would not represent it any other way than what it is. Your DIACOM report is fine. It will not give you compression readings. You may need to pay in independant person to do a survey on the boat if you are that concerned about the totality of the boat. As a dealer he will have you sign a marine purchase aggreement that the boat is "AS IS" No warranty expressed or implied unless otherwise agreed upon.

$13000 is alot of money for anyone. Heck $5000 these days is alot and I know you want to be protected.
from everything I see the boat is clean and is AS DESCRIBED...go for it and get that boat

[email protected]

vrsc
10-26-2011, 01:47 PM
I have dealt with Henrich in the past. The boat looks clean and I am sure he would not represent it any other way than what it is. Your DIACOM report is fine. It will not give you compression readings. You may need to pay in independant person to do a survey on the boat if you are that concerned about the totality of the boat. As a dealer he will have you sign a marine purchase aggreement that the boat is "AS IS" No warranty expressed or implied unless otherwise agreed upon.

$13000 is alot of money for anyone. Heck $5000 these days is alot and I know you want to be protected.
from everything I see the boat is clean and is AS DESCRIBED...go for it and get that boat

[email protected]

Thank you Jim. It was a pleasure speaking with you on the phone. Thanks for the advice and opinions on my Boat deal.

CiscoStu
10-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I agree 100% with Jim... I bought my boat without even firing it up, in the middle of November. The book looked *very* clean, service records were complete, previous owner gave me a good vibe, etc. I have 2 pieces of advice about buying a boat:

1. If you ever buy a boat without being able to lake test, MAKE SURE to get a good deal. I was able to talk him down from $48K to $40K because he was trying to sell a boat in November. I couldn't test it, all I could go on was his word. I kept saying - 'what if I put it in the lake in the spring, and it's a dud?'. It's a great bargaining chip, make sure to use it! Plus, people selling boats in November KNOW they won't get top dollar for them...

2. If you ever have a bad feeling about the boat/sales guy/situation, or your gut is telling you something is wrong, back away. RUN away. I can't tell you how many times my gut has saved me from a bad deal. I wish I always listened, but sometimes you get emotionally attached to the sexy new machine... I've had a few bad deals after NOT listening to my own gut instinct, because of the emotion of the moment.

In this case, it sounds like you are not getting any bad mojo about this boat...? If not, give 'er! It's just a boat. Sure, it's a lot of money, but if it looks like it's holding together, go for it. If something is terribly wrong, it's only going to cost money to fix it...!

Good luck, and enjoy the new boat!

10-27-2011, 10:24 AM
You could have LAKE TESTED it down here HA HA HA

CiscoStu
10-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Sure, rub it in Jim... Thanks a lot! :)

skijwr
10-27-2011, 11:07 AM
I bought mine in Dec last year. First did a lookover in the guy's garage. Then I did a wet test, then immediately had a marine service shop do the compression test. I looked over the shoulder of the Tech as he ran the test. I watched the gauge on each one. A good tech can do the compr test in less than 30 mins. I think it cost me 100 bucks. I say money well spent. And I was more confident in the purchase.