PDA

View Full Version : Portable Jump Starter Suggestions

Slinkyredfoot
12-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I am looking to buy a good portable jump starter for a Christmas present. I have been thru two junk units and am looking for a good one for car and marine use as well. Do not care anything about an air compressor in the unit, just maybe a built in light.

Anyone with suggestions on a good one?

Thanks

The8Ball
12-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Ditto! ... also looking... I have checked on line, looks like these things run from $100 to $150... would love to know as well...

1redTA
12-05-2010, 02:01 PM
I had a black and decker jump box that worked pretty well for 3-5 years. It had a small light power inverter and air compressor. You could charge it with AC or DC and was nice to have when camping and boating.

I'd post a link but on my phone at work
Black & Decker VEC026BD Electromate 400 Jump-Starter with Built-In Air Compressor
Black & Decker

Jerseydave
12-05-2010, 08:35 PM
I was selling these when I was a MAC TOOL dealer. If you want a really good one that will start big blocks and diesels, get this one.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/solar-booster-pack-portable-power-supply-es5000-p-14416.aspx

For about $50 less you can buy the next one smaller with 250 cranking amps. It works ok on a car with a weak battery, but if it's really dead the larger booster pack is your best bet.

chippy1971
12-05-2010, 09:13 PM
The thing with all jump batteries is not so much the jump battery itself it is more will it cause a short on the electrics when it is disconnected.

You need to ensure that it comes with a safety mechanism to ensure that when the motor is now running on the car / boat battery and the alternator that the drain on the system does not send a spike down the link and kill the electrics in the boat.

Lars
12-06-2010, 12:01 AM
The thing with all jump batteries is not so much the jump battery itself it is more will it cause a short on the electrics when it is disconnected.

You need to ensure that it comes with a safety mechanism to ensure that when the motor is now running on the car / boat battery and the alternator that the drain on the system does not send a spike down the link and kill the electrics in the boat.

I'm sort of tracking with you on this, but can you explain this phenomenon a bit more? When you disconnect the jump pack it sends a spike in voltage through the electrical system??

chippy1971
12-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Well it can short out things, remember if you have a fuel injection system the engine will have an ECU ( electronic control unit ) that is the brains for the motor.

If that gets a spike or surge of power there is a chance it could get damaged.

So what I am saying is don't just by the cheapest one, find one that has surge protection built it and you should be safe.

If you spend $200 now you could save yourself thousands later.

dpolen
12-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Here's another plug for the Black and Decker unit that 1redTA mentioned. I've had one of these for a couple years now and it has saved my day on the lake several times when someone (me) forgets to turn off a switch as I'm putting the boat away. I charge it up like once a month and just store it in the boat or leave it in the car while on the lake.

Boveli
09-14-2018, 04:28 AM
My two cents...
I tried the NiCad vesion of the jump starters https://10carbest.com/best-jump-starters and was not happy, same with the motorcycle battery type. Only the wet cell battery holds a charge over several months, the Li-ion type be fine as far as holding charge. BUT...

Even when a battery holds a charge the small ones are often not up to the task of starting with a totally dead (headlights left on) battery. The small batteries just don't have the capacity, so I would revert to using jumper cables to start from a running vehicle.

I eventually decided the best utility was to have heavy duty Marine type batteries with a good charger. This way it does double duty as power outage backup with an inverter, as well as mobile/home jump starting. The only downside is I don't have an extra battery with me when I am out and about, but 90% of the time there are other vehicles or I can call for wife to come help with jumper cables. At home a Marine battery is heavy but easy to use for jump starts and has massive capacity for hard starts.

Overall I think the battery charger will give you many more years of service for both car and home use, especially if your primary car starting issue is cold starts at home. If primary issue was dead battery in remote location then the jump battery would be a better idea.

The mention of Lithium batteries makes me think of all the 18V cordless tool batteries I have. Anyone know of anything that makes use of cordless tool batteries to directly power USB, cigarette lighter plug, AA charger, etc? Not to jump a car battery but for other low wattage 12v jobs.
On Youtube full of expert reviews on this topic, leave one video of them here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq3ihYJ4rbE&t=22s