Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-25-2004, 06:44 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X10
Got God?

I'm so impressed with how civilized everybody has been when discussing politics that I thought we could handle this topic also.

15 Reasons to go to Church

Even if you, your friends or your family members are not believers, there is value in going to church. Here are some facts that are reason enough to get up on Sunday mornings and hit the pews:

1. Church attendance is the number-one predictor of marital stability. (Journal of Marriage and the Family, 40)

2. Attending church is helpful in the prevention of cancer, heart disease, and mental illness. (National Institute of Healthcare Research in America, June 2000)

3. Teens who attend church are four-times less likely to commit suicide. (Journal of Chronic Disease, 25)

4. People who attend church are more likely to remain married and have a better sex-life. (David Larson, National Institute of Mental Health)

5. Church attendees stay half as long during hospital stays. (Duke University)

6. Those attending church are five-times less likely to require antibiotics. (Southern Medical Journal, July 1998)

7. There is lower blood pressure among men who attend church versus those who do not. (Duke University)

8. There's an additional average life expectancy of seven years. (Demography, May 1999)

9. People attending church report a 50% higher weekly average family income. (UCLA School of Medicine)

10. Church-goers have fewer heart attacks than non-church-goers. (David Larson, National Institute of Mental Health)

11. Those who attend religious services in their youth have about $11,000 more in yearly income by their early 30's. (UCLA School of Medicine)

12. Cities with high church attendance have the lowest crime rates. (Crime, Values and Religion, 1987)

13. People attending church are physically healthier and less depressed. (The American Medical News. 3/4/96)

14. Alcohol abuse is 300% less for those who attend church. (UCLA School of Medicine)

15. Church attendance moves the underprivileged out of poverty and into the middle class. (Why Religion Matters: The Impact of Religious Practice on Social Stability. The Heritage Foundation)
Old 10-25-2004, 07:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Prostar 190,LQ9,SSrubrails,exhausts, Clararion stereo,depth finder, MasterCraft Cruise
Here, here my friend. I have been married for 27 years and always have attended church with my wife and children. We are blessed. I don't know how we could get through without God.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
In all fairness, some of those sources are a little biased. BUT, I do know that I attend church every sunday (unless I haven't skied for a few weeks, then we'll hit the lake early) and I'm happier for it. I've been happilly married for 4.5 years and I've been in a long faithful relationship with the same woman for 10 years. Our relationship started in Church Youth Group in High School.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:57 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Hmmmm.....this could explain a lot things that have been happening to me lately.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:14 AM
TT Regular

Willing to expand on that Mag or are you talking about MRBM?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:16 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixthus
Willing to expand on that Mag or are you talking about MRBM?
No comment
Old 10-25-2004, 09:25 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag_Red
No comment
Chicken!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:29 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixthus
Chicken!
You're as bad as the guys
Old 10-25-2004, 09:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently have Four
Does midnight Mass and mayby a trip on Easter count as "church attendance"?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:36 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag_Red
You're as bad as the guys
Moi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNautica
Does midnight Mass and mayby a trip on Easter count as "church attendance"?
It's better than nothing, IMO.