Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 06-29-2006, 05:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
Wakesurf rope...

I just bought a Hyperlite Broadcast...just dying to get on the lake this weekend. The MC dealer was out of wakesurf ropes...anybody have thoughts on just using a ski rope (not the good one) and shortening the line to around 15 feet or so. Or has anybody come up with a home-grown solution rather than ponying up for a $30-40 rope that will hopefully be thrown back into the boat once you find the pocket?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Series
I use an old wakeboard rope and handle that has been shortened. There is a safety issue with using the handle though. If you fall while pulling yourself into the “pocket” there is a chance you could put your arm through the handle and injure yourself. So far we have not had any issues but I am going to buy the right rope soon.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpolen
I just bought a Hyperlite Broadcast...just dying to get on the lake this weekend. The MC dealer was out of wakesurf ropes...anybody have thoughts on just using a ski rope (not the good one) and shortening the line to around 15 feet or so. Or has anybody come up with a home-grown solution rather than ponying up for a $30-40 rope that will hopefully be thrown back into the boat once you find the pocket?
take the 15' off lenght from a slamom rope and use that ... use an old handle or just a wooden dowel ... dunn deal.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:26 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
I agree..........I bought one of those fancy pants surfin' ropes this year. Save your $$$$$ A short ski rope will do the trick
Old 06-29-2006, 07:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
I used docking line, braided three lengths together, braided three of those together and then tied a giant knot in the end to hold on to. Attached to a 8-10' ski rope loop.

Too many minor injuries from ski ropes and the big handle.
Also don't have to worry about getting bonked when it is tossed in and out.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
Surfs up...

Thanks for the feedback...I like the idea of using the braided dock lines...I've got a couple extra laying around from the old boat...going to give it a shot.

This thing looks like a blast...I really can't wait to hit the water on Sat AM...guess what I'm going to try out first!!!!... Any tips for a first timer?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X star PWT
Tips would be- remember that if you put your weight on your back leg you slow down- ie pull away from the boat, front leg accelerates you toward the boat. We unfortunately "lost" our wakesurfing rope at a crowded beach at a sand dune last weekend....had to be that someone else picked it up we are not that sloppy, and had to shorten the wakeboarding rope to continue riding. It was a bit scary with the handle, so we just decided to go back to wakeboarding and get a new rope.

Remember to lean into it like the "surfers" do, helps you find your sweet spot!

Good luck- post pics if you can.