Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-11-2006, 02:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Barefoot 190
I thought I would post an update on my Barefoot 190 progress, since your collective advice was instrumental in helping me find my lost horsepower.

I took xsv's advice on the carb and distributor improvements, and found some interesting things.
The carb had two major flaws, and the distributor wasn't advancing the spark nearly enough.

First, the small tab that holds the check ball for the accel pump was never peened in place correctly and had fallen out, thus the story I was told that "you have to pump the gas 16 times to start it cold".

Next, I noticed that the jets for the primary side appeared much larger than I would have expected for that size carb. They were 84's. So I checked the secondary jets and they were 76's. After much searching on the web, I found a listing that showed that the jets were reversed!!

Last, I checked the centrifugal advance of the Prestolite distributor with a timing light and found that I was only getting 12 degrees. Adding the initial 10 degrees advance to that, the engine was only seeing 22 degrees total advance, and it should have had about 36. I bought an MSD marine ready-to-run distributor and dropped it in after changing the springs to the correct ones, and got 34 degrees total advance with 10 deg. initial setting.

With all of these fixes in place, we took it to the lake last Sat, and couldn't believe the improvement!! The speedometer now pegs out at 50+, and the RPMs go over 4500. I'll use GPS to check the speed next week, but I'm sure it will hit about 53. That should be enough for the 'footers who always need more speed.

All I have left to do is change the prop (yes, it's the original small 4-blade SS prop with the goofy brass insert) to a 3-blade, since it appears that my rudder burn is reappearing. I can feel some roughness in the same area where the burn was most intense before, and we have only put about 40 hours on the new rudder. It looks like the ACME 13x14 or similar would be a good choice.

I'll let you guys know how that goes, but in the mean time, thanks for your wise advice!!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:26 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by viabill
I thought I would post an update on my Barefoot 190 progress, since your collective advice was instrumental in helping me find my lost horsepower.

I took xsv's advice on the carb and distributor improvements, and found some interesting things.
The carb had two major flaws, and the distributor wasn't advancing the spark nearly enough.

First, the small tab that holds the check ball for the accel pump was never peened in place correctly and had fallen out, thus the story I was told that "you have to pump the gas 16 times to start it cold".

Next, I noticed that the jets for the primary side appeared much larger than I would have expected for that size carb. They were 84's. So I checked the secondary jets and they were 76's. After much searching on the web, I found a listing that showed that the jets were reversed!!

Last, I checked the centrifugal advance of the Prestolite distributor with a timing light and found that I was only getting 12 degrees. Adding the initial 10 degrees advance to that, the engine was only seeing 22 degrees total advance, and it should have had about 36. I bought an MSD marine ready-to-run distributor and dropped it in after changing the springs to the correct ones, and got 34 degrees total advance with 10 deg. initial setting.

With all of these fixes in place, we took it to the lake last Sat, and couldn't believe the improvement!! The speedometer now pegs out at 50+, and the RPMs go over 4500. I'll use GPS to check the speed next week, but I'm sure it will hit about 53. That should be enough for the 'footers who always need more speed.

All I have left to do is change the prop (yes, it's the original small 4-blade SS prop with the goofy brass insert) to a 3-blade, since it appears that my rudder burn is reappearing. I can feel some roughness in the same area where the burn was most intense before, and we have only put about 40 hours on the new rudder. It looks like the ACME 13x14 or similar would be a good choice.

I'll let you guys know how that goes, but in the mean time, thanks for your wise advice!!

It's good to hear you have made some dramatic advances!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Anyone know what happened to this? How did you fix your issues with the rudder cavitation burn?
Old 07-13-2014, 02:28 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Anyone know what happened to this? How did you fix your issues with the rudder cavitation burn?
09-11-2006, 02:26 PM

Considering it's an 8 year old thread and no one has posted in it I would say a prop change fix his issue.