Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 06-25-2006, 03:14 PM
TT Regular

Blowout mutilated my fender - need new one

Got caught on the interstate in a construction area - hit a metal plate in the road, had a blowout, nothing but cars going 70 and retaining walls for two miles. Needless to say, by the time I did find an exit ramp my trailer fender was destroyed - but the boat & family were ok (not necessarily in order of importance). Where can I get a new fender for a '91 trailer?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, MCX
Same thing happen to me two weeks ago and I was able to stop fairly quickly. Blew out the back of my fender. I was planning on writing a post on this subject. Why in the world does Mastercraft use Fiberglass fenders on there boat trailers? My guess is that when you blow a tire you have to call Mastercraft and buy a new fender! My fenders are in pretty bad shape due to previous blowouts from the owner before. I plan to build some out of steel this fall and replace the Fibergalss. Seems to me Mastercraft builds a great boat but places them on horrible trailers after reading some of the other post on general trailer problems.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 SS, 1991 PS190
Shoot a picture of the fender. I know where there are a couple of fenders but I don't know what year they are. Also, the shipping may be a little expensive on something like this. I'm in Texas, where do you live?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:10 AM
TT Regular

Dallas

I am in Dallas area.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 SS, 1991 PS190
I'm in Ft Worth, shoot a picture so I can compare.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:17 PM
MC Master Poster

MC is hardly the only company using a non-metallic fender and saying that it's a terrible trailer when it's 12 years old is a little strange. I've never seen a fiberglass part rust or bend and more trailers have rusted and bent fenders. OTOH, fiberglass is repaired pretty easily unless it's really bad. I would start looking on ebay or call around for a marine salvage company. Maybe a dealer down south has an old trailer sitting around after the hurricanes.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:19 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Barefoot 200 MasterCraft 1993 ProV200 Outboard
I helped a guy on this last year find one ... old post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem_pss308
I have a single axle trailer ( 1993) where I can get a replacement fender?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfootr
I have access to both a rt and lft side '93 fender, what side do you need and what color?
Include phone number ... atlfootr
Maybe, if your Dallas contact can't help ya - I can.
Sorry about your blowout, thank goodness no one was hurt
Old 07-10-2006, 12:44 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN
MC is hardly the only company using a non-metallic fender and saying that it's a terrible trailer when it's 12 years old is a little strange. I've never seen a fiberglass part rust or bend and more trailers have rusted and bent fenders. OTOH, fiberglass is repaired pretty easily unless it's really bad. I would start looking on ebay or call around for a marine salvage company. Maybe a dealer down south has an old trailer sitting around after the hurricanes.
Hey Jim, a little off topic, but for me, what else is new.

My OEM fenders are showing some small spider cracks at the joint where the fender rises over the tire. Seems pretty common on a couple of older MC trailers I've seen and I presume that it's from people stepping on the lower part of the fender to get into the boat. To repair, would you suggest some bondo and repaint?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
For what it's worth, the fact it's fiberglass, not metal probably doesn't matter too much. A tire flapping around inside a steel or aluminum fender will bend it up to the point where replacement would be necessary. At least my steel one did.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93' Prostar 190
Send a message via Yahoo to jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfootr
I helped a guy on this last year find one ... old post below.

Maybe, if your Dallas contact can't help ya - I can.
Sorry about your blowout, thank goodness no one was hurt

I need a left side fender for my '93 trailer, would prefer white, but I'm planning on paint the trailer anyway so color doesn't matter too much.

I had a wheel off last summer, messed up the fender. Actually could have fixed it (only a couple cracks) but then my wife backed into it in the driveway, now it's completely f'd.

Let me know what you might have. I'm in Minnesota, but will pay the shipping if the deal is right.