Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-21-2004, 01:50 PM
scubat

Tranny Fluid Change

I apologize if any of these questions have been covered in past threads. I am getting ready to change the tranny fluid in my 97 PS-190 with the powerslot. I am using the top side oil changer that uses vacuum to suck all the fluid out so I have the removal process covered! What is the brand/grade of tranny fluid best suited for this tranny? Should I replace the tranny filter and how difficult is this? Any helpful tips to make the process go smooth? Thank you for the help.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
The best thing to do is to pump the oil into a graduated container so you can see how many oz's of oil to put back in. Should be mercon atf. If you keep the fluid change on a regular basis I wouldn't worry about the filter. I did mine every 100 hr's and never had a transmission problem.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
Scubat, you need to check the model number on your tranny. Recently, MC is leaning toward 15w-40 motor oil in many of the transmissions, apparently to stop complaints about noise.. Download the 2004 owners manual from here - it has the updated table that shows which transmissions take which oil. Clearly, if you do decide to change to a different oil, changing the filter is a must.

Among many of my friends, the mentality seems to be to do the filter every second winterization..

Make sure you have something soft to land on when you find out how much that filter is worth, though.. Next year, I'm getting mine from SkiDim..

The topsider will work great, and George is dead on.. measure exactly how much you get out so you know how much to put back (it will take more if you replace the filter, of course).

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"

Last edited by NeilM; 10-21-2004 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Scubat,
I'd consult your dealer, or owners manual. Mine's a 96 1:1 and it takes ATF, not motor oil, not sure if it specs Mercon, or Dexron II or III.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to ktn_cmu
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM
Clearly, if you change to a different oil, changing the filter is a must.
If you change to different oil, wouldn't it be a good idea to change it once and leave the filter, fill it, run it shifting and such so the oils mix, and change it again this time with the filter change?

The first change won't drail all the fluid, thats why I ask this, what do y'all think...
Old 10-21-2004, 02:50 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall
Scubat,
I'd consult your dealer, or owners manual. Mine's a 96 1:1 and it takes ATF, not motor oil, not sure if it specs Mercon, or Dexron II or III.
Dexron III, according to MC (at least for my Velvet Drive 1:1).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:12 PM
scubat

Thanks for the input fellas. My manual says Dexron II. Is this a brand or grade? Are people using synthetics also?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Good, 'cause that's what I put in this spring when I changed it. Haven't bothered to find out what it's supposed to take, yet. Seems Dexron III works well in alot of different applications. I've used it in a pinch in my snowmobile chaincase, vehicle differentials, crankcase in my dirtbike. I even ran a lawnmower on the stuff for a couple years just to see if it'd work. Hit a rock and bent the crank, but up 'til then it ran fine on ATF.
* Note, I do not endorse the use of ATF ouside of it's intended application, but if you do and it works, let me know.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Dextron lll just has some additives that Dll doesn't. Like different/more anti-foaming. Don't use the type for Ford or Chrysler. If Dextron ll or lll is speced, use that unless MC or Indmar specifically says that they are changing their recommendation.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:48 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Jim, my manual said Dextron II (351 Ford). I checked with MC when DII wasn't available and they said use DIII. In that I have no working knowledge of the chemistry and physics of it all, that's the underlying rationale.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.