Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-30-2004, 09:05 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Wrong turn

Got this in an email today...

NORFOLK Naval Air Station Virginia -- One of the military's largest transports was stuck on a runway atop the I-564 overpass for more than 16 hours today, unable to turn around at the West end of Chambers Field at the Norfolk Naval Station... The incident, starting about 1 a.m., forced the closing of the field for most of the day to all but helicopter traffic and made for a dramatic sight to hundreds of motorists passing beneath it during the morning rush hour.

"That thing's like a big building sitting there.'' said some motorists. The nose of the aircraft actually stuck out and OVER the Interstate!

The aircraft's nose was so far over the end of the ramp, the crew was unable to see the runway where it was supposed to turn around. The pilot stopped the aircraft and prevented it from running off the ramp.

They also stated that it was too tight of a turn to turn the aircraft around. The Air Force C-5 Galaxy, largest airplane in the free world, is almost as long as a football field and as high as a six-story building. A 420 tons with a full load, it uses a system of 28 wheels to distribute its weight. The aircraft spent most of the day waiting for a specially made tow bar to be trucked to the base from Dover, Del. The tow bar arrived about noon and was used to hook the C-5 to a tractor so the aircraft could be turned around. The plane was moved off the runway by 4:30 p.m., No one was hurt, and the plane was not damaged.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
C-5s are not very reliable aircraft.

Under peace time conditions their departure reliability rate is around 50%. When I was stationed in England with an air refueling unit when ever we had a C-5 as a receiver we stopped taking off and looking for them for a rendevous and put an aircraft and aircrew on alert. As soon as we got word the C-5 was airborne the crew got alerted and took off soon after that.

I've flown on a C-5 once, nice ride but not the plane to hitch a ride on if you absolutely have to get somewhere in a hurry. Brian probably has more time cruising on them than I do.

Pretty cool picture though!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:32 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Cool pic. What a monster!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 ProStar 209
It is unreliable...right now.

With the new AMP (avionics) and RERP (re-engining) programs complete, the giant should have 75% availability and should serve another 30 years.

Having said that, it still won't be able to back up. A C-17 CAN back up.