Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-20-2004, 09:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Cutter Props: Anyone use them?

I may have the opportunity to purchase a Cutter 4-blade stainless prop for a pretty fair price. Pitch and dia are correct 13 x 13.5, shaft size, rotation all correct. My question is does anyone have any experience w/ this mfr?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
I have a 4-blade Cutter stainless prop on my boat, but it is 13x13. I'm very pleased with it. I haven't noticed any affect on the wake, rooster tail, etc. I'm not a shortline skier so I can't tell any difference. It has a good holeshot. I don't spend much time at WOT because I don't need to, so I don't know if it has changed that either. My previous props were the stock 13x13 OJ 3-blade and a 13x13 OJ 4-blade, and I certainly like this one better than either of those. If it's a good price (<$300) I would certainly recommend it.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner
Old 10-21-2004, 11:40 AM
MC Maniac

Thanks Capt Kidd, now I'm really kicking myself. Someone else will be happy w/ one. Was bidding on one on ebay last night and was apprehensive to bid too high as I haven't heard of them before. I lost it last minute and it only went for $128!
Old 10-21-2004, 02:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Whoa! You missed a good deal. Sorry to hear that.

I have one; a 13x13.5. I'm not that fired up about it. It DID most definitely increase my hole shot, and it also increased my top speed(!) even though it dragged my peak RPM from 4300 down to 4100. Strange. This is compared to my SS 13x13 three blade.

The things I'm not happy about it are:
*Slight vibration at around 2000 PRM
*WORSE deceleration than with the three blade; again-(!) It takes longer to stop than w/the three blade. I thought a 4 blade was supposed to increase decelerative force.
*Less thrust in reverse than my 3 blade.

It's defintiely better than my 3 blade, but I thoguht it would be better in every way other than top end, which surprisingly was better w/the 4.

Captkid, what did you like better about the Cutter 4 than the OJ 4? Just out of curiosity?
Old 10-21-2004, 02:43 PM
MC Maniac

Maybe I'm not too disheartened, if yours produces a vibration in the 2k rpm range, as that's where I run alot when wake boarding.
Was hoping to get into a new prop for somthing around the cost to rebuild my stock OJ 3 blade.
Hole shot is not an issue now, although quicker is better, just for the neck snap factor!
I was worried about losing a little top end, as there are some pretty long lakes here.
Interesting that your topend increased, Storm. Do you think it's because the SS prop doesn't flex like a Nibral, or just the blade design?
Old 10-21-2004, 02:45 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Thrall, be it a 3 blade or a 4 blade, an OJ or an Acme, go with a CNC'd prop. I can't imagine that you'd regret it.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall
Interesting that your topend increased, Storm. Do you think it's because the SS prop doesn't flex like a Nibral, or just the blade design?
I'm not sure what to attribute that top end increase to. My old prop was a SS 3 blade, not Nibral. If I had to guess, I'd say that my engine must make it's peak power closer to 4k than above that, and lugging the engine down w/a little steaper pitch (13.5 now vs. 13 on the old 3 blade).

FYI, I used to go ny the name Thomas Kendrick on the old board. you might recognize that.

-Tom
Old 10-21-2004, 04:05 PM
MC Maniac

10-4 Tom, I remember you. Just using your handle in case you're worried about those "black choppers" flyin' around. Just Kidding!
Just a more efficient design it sounds, if you dropped rpms and picked up speed.
Hey, looks like you're getting some snow up that way. Won't be long now! Got that big-bore ready to rip?

Doug, I'm sure you're right. Have you looked at that prop in the Marketplace, for sale by Cody? Appears to be the same as yours. Whadaya think?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall
Won't be long now! Got that big-bore ready to rip?
LOL. Not yet. We are getting snow though. I was supposed to go to Powell this coming weekend, but w/this weather, I don't think so anymore.

Instead, I'll drag out the old 861 triple and fire that sum betch up! Whoo Hoo! BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPP!
I'll have to get the Ultra out too.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:21 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Tom, a little increase in pitch ought to give you a slight bump in speed if I understand everything correctly.

Thrall, the pitch on that one is slightly higher than mine (I think Farmer Ted has that prop). It mentions that there's an imperfection on it that "keeps it from being perfect." I don't know if that imperfection is noticeable or not. As for my Acme, I think they make one darned good three-blade prop. I've not done a side by side comparison with their four blade on my boat, but their 3blade gets me up before the wake gets to me every time. If you are satisfied that the imperfection mentioned won't make any difference, then the $250 he's asking is less than the $293 I paid to have Schnitz ship it to my door, and is therefore, a good deal. Plus, you get the harmonic puller (about a $30 value).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.