Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 10-20-2004, 05:07 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
upholstery

Anyone having trouble with the observer seat on their ps 197. i have a small rip right where the seat touches the removable backrest. i also have small rips in the seat on back rests in the openbow. I watch my boat like a hawk and have never seen it stressed in these areas. Any ideas?

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 10-20-2004, 09:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X-7 MCX
Same Here

I too have an '02 PS197. I love the boat but I have developed a small rip in the bottom of the seat where the seat meets the walkthrough. Don't know what to do to prevent it. With a couple of kids and their friends on the boat, it's hard to have them not step on the upholstery. In fact, there's so much upholstery in the boat, its hard to manuver without stepping on the seats.

I already ordered the replacement skin. When the seat gets to be more than I can handle, I'll be able to replace it.

I just have to remember that I bought the boat to enjoy, and if I get my shorts all bunched up over wear and tear, I'll be too uptight to enjoy my time on the water.

Later
Jim
Old 10-21-2004, 11:38 AM
MC Addict

my shorts are not usually bunched up! i just usually ski with the same group who are very good at taking care of a boat. this does not seem like normal wear and tear.

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 10-21-2004, 02:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
Tex, I agree with you. BTW, I didn't get one season out of my seat cushions. With a V-drive, the only way in or out is to step on vinyl..period. MC has re-skinned all my seat cushions -- hopefully these ones will last longer.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 10-21-2004, 02:48 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I'm not ashamed to say that I regularly ask people to please not step on the seats. With kids, it may be harder to get the message across, but those replacement skins add up.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:42 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
I'm not ashamed to say that I regularly ask people to please not step on the seats. With kids, it may be harder to get the message across, but those replacement skins add up.
2 of the spots are not in danger of feet.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'm not saying that I encourage anyone to step on the upholstery, I'm saying that it is hard to get into the open bow without stepping on the seat. Noone wears shoes in the boat and I have a towel for people to step on and wipe their feet when getting in the boat. I've been called anal about keeping my boat clean and looking like new.

The spot where the seat is ripping is under stress when you even sit on the the right most part of the observers seat.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

By the way Tex...Please don't think I meant that your shorts are bunched...meant nothing by it. More than anything I tend to get my shorts bunched over some of the smallest things....side affect of type A I guess......
Old 10-21-2004, 09:28 PM
TT Newbie

Tex I too have experienced the tear in the same spot on the observer seat on my 02 Pro Tournament 197. I think my nephews and friends kids did my seat in as well. That area of the seat seem particularly vulnerable to this problem and I am surprised MC does not reinforce that area especially given the high frequency of occurrence, the high cost of new skins, and how expensive the boat was to begin with. I guess it will be a new skin for me as well. Oh, and just for the record I try to maintain my 02 197 meticulously, but I also want the kids to be able to enjoy the boat.
Good luck with yours - axmir
Old 10-22-2004, 09:06 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac197
By the way Tex...Please don't think I meant that your shorts are bunched...meant nothing by it. More than anything I tend to get my shorts bunched over some of the smallest things....side affect of type A I guess......
Jim-Not offended at all. I do some of my best work when my shorts are bunched. Great pic-Same spot not as bad. I agree with you and do all the same preventative type stuff. This should not happen on a boat of this quality so quickly! My #1 rule of dating was Never date a girl with a butt bigger than yours. Mine is big, my wife's is very small. My driver seat is not ripped! Bad design by MC!