Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 06-19-2006, 06:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft Prostar 197 Tournamnet Team Edition
Best stuff to clean upholstery, carpet, and hull?

I am planning on doing an overhaul this weekend or next. I am wondering the best stuff to clean up the upholstery. Also what to use on the carpet and the hull. I have a power sprayer with a low power nozzle. I am assume that with soap and water might be good for the carpet and the hull. What is good to really clean off the upholstery and protect it also. Thanks a lot. Any help would be great.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:29 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Doug........

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 06-19-2006, 06:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by excetara2
I am planning on doing an overhaul this weekend or next. I am wondering the best stuff to clean up the upholstery. Also what to use on the carpet and the hull. I have a power sprayer with a low power nozzle. I am assume that with soap and water might be good for the carpet and the hull. What is good to really clean off the upholstery and protect it also. Thanks a lot. Any help would be great.

Be very careful with a power washer on the interior because it will rip right through the vinyl. You can use it on the carpet, just be sure not to hit any of the vinyl in doing so...mix it with a detergent/carpet solvent and you should be good to go.

On the hull, I usually wash with just some car wash soap or dish soap and then follow that up with a couple coats of wax. If the gelcoat is faded, spray and buff it with 303 and then apply a coat of wax.

Is the hull extrememly dirty with anything?

For the interior, I like Zep's Vinyl cleaner followed with a healthy dose of 303.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:39 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
whats 303? again....
Old 06-19-2006, 06:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2
whats 303? again....
{{{Sporty shaking his head with a slight grin of doubt for any hope}}}

I get yEr drift...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 06-19-2006, 07:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1994, 350 TBI 308hp.
Be careful, as stated, with the pressure washer. You should be ok if you keep it about 8-10 inches away, otherwise, you'll be knocking fibers off. You might actually let one of the carpter cleaning services do the carpet after you finish, have em come to the house and do your boat, should be around $40 and it will look like new - well, if they're around where you live.

I use about a 50/50 split of Wesleys bleach white/water on interior if it is dirty from maintenance. If you get any spots on the interior, try good old Colgate toothpaste with a toothbrush, then just wipe if off with a very wet rag. If it's just dust and stuff, usually just use water and then use Lexol Vinylex for the finish on the interior and dash. My interior is 12 years old and the boat has 518 hours on it. The picture was taken last year but I can assure you it still looks like this. Harold Page and judging crew have given me a couple of ribbons.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:19 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Bret, have you or anyone heard from Richard Bean lately? I have sent him Xmas cards and called him over the years and have not heard from him. One of the last times we saw him or heard from him, he flew in on Sat. morning of the 30th Anniversary Homecoming and Reunion in 1997 @ Vonore, then saw him at the 1998 Mid America Reunion in Hot Springs, when we flew out to do the judging and he has basically disappeared since.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1994, 350 TBI 308hp.
Hello Harold! I saw him about 3 years ago. He and a "crew" of about 6 boats came over to Sandy Beach where we have our slalom course and wake boarded the rest of the day after we were all done with our sets. He was in the Anniversary Edition that the McClosky's bought from Mark Redman, #17 (he took first from me in Dallas and I went home with second )...but Richard still had his Anniversay Edition. I think there is another Anniversary Edition over on that side of the lake, so that would make 3 over there but I just don't go over there much anymore - too rough on the weekends. There is an INT event this weekend and we're letting them use our course, who knows, he may show up. I'll be there for the whole thing driving and safety boat, if I see him, I'll tell him to give you a call.

In the past few years, I've been working on all the reunion dates and haven't been able to go. I miss seeing all the boats. Maybe next year I can polish off the brass knob, the brass pylon head, and the brass and chrome trick release !
Old 06-21-2006, 10:20 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft Prostar 197 Tournamnet Team Edition
Thanks for all the advice. Sorry about no response been out of time for a few days.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:27 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Brett, quit teasing me with pictures of your boat!

For the carpet, I'm fond of getting a bucket of warm water and mixing a little Tide (no bleach) in with it. With a brush, I work the soapy water into the carpet fibers. Then, because I don't have a power washer, I take it to the DIY carwash and use the rinse setting to wash the soap into the bilge. I use a shop vac to get most of the excess water out of the carpet and then let it dry in the sun.

For upholstery, I use the Tide (no bleach) and water as well. Fantastik and or Magik Eraser for tough spots. Gentle rinse and towel dry. I wouldn't bother with a pressure washer on the vinyl. 303 aerospace protectant (surprise surprise) to seal the deal.

I've been meaning to give Vinylex (is that right) a try since that's apparently what Brett uses (and who can argue with those results).

On the hull, Tide (no bleach) and warm water. Cheap RainX marine wax a few times per season. I may look to upgrade the wax when I run out of what I bought when I bought the boat. But it has done fine for me so far and is plenty shiny.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.