Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 06-17-2006, 03:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190
Flat Tire Gets Ugly

I got home from work at approx. 2:00am, and found my '93 prostar leaning to one side in that garage. Yep, flat tire (thank God I did not leave it in the side yard like the wife wanted me too. I would have never got it jacked up).

In the process, and it sure was a process, of getting the tire off, I snapped off one of the studs off. Can I replace the broken stud? Or where would I find a new hub?
Old 06-17-2006, 04:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 95 Prosport 205
I feel bad for you, but like you said, it coulda been worse. Never had a broken stud on a trailer, but several on cars/trucks. I would guess it is the same though. You can replace just the broken stud if you want.If only one stud is broken, I would put the wheel back on once the tire is repaired and take it to a wheel/tire place and have them replace the stud. Doesn't cost much. If you wanted to do it yourself you can, but it has been my findings that this is one job I was better off paying someone else to do for me. All you/they should have to do is knock the old stud out the back side of the hub and put a new one in.TRICK is getting the old one out sometimes is not easy !!!
Old 06-17-2006, 07:28 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Master Craft Maristar 1990 351
I agree better off reinstall repaired tire & take it to the shop for the stud repair. It will probably take you the majority of the day to fix it and the shop a 1/2hr. Then you're back on the water.
Good luck!!
Old 06-17-2006, 07:36 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
As a point of reference, here's a place I use that is right near me. You may find a closer supplier but this will allow you something to compare.

http://www.luckyb.com/

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 06-17-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:57 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
It wouldn't necessarily be that big a deal to pull the hub, drive the broken stud out and pound in a new one - an air hammer might be necessary assuming you don't have a press. Those studs are available at auto stores, even our little hardware store sells 'em. However, you have to wonder why the stud broke. The most common reason would be that they weren't torqued down properly and/or loosened, so you'd wonder if the other studs had been damaged or weakened by the same process. Consequently, I'd strongly consider replacing the others on that side too. Then I'd pay close attention to re-torquing all of the studs on both sides. And it would be important to re-torque them after driving a few miles too. I'm not sure of the torque specs on your trailer, but typically they're between 90-120 ft-lbs, which is out of reach of the typical homeowner's standard torque wrench, which usually only goes up to 70 ft-lbs. - another reason to maybe have it done at the tire store. Personally, I'm a fan of applying a touch of Never-Sieze to the stud threads before torquing them down.

Last edited by bigmac; 06-17-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:23 AM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
i had a simalar situation only a bit worse. got a flat some where on the mojave desert in the way back from lake havasu. when taking the wheel off three studs would just spin. we took the whole assemble off and had some shady mechanic knock out the old studs..
at the time we were broke college students and couldnt afford the fix after a long week of spring break. i thought we going to have to get job in mojave to pay the mechanic...
Old 06-17-2006, 10:29 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
I think you can get a new hub for around $30 and then keep your old on e as a spare
that will give you a chance to change out your bearings if they havent been done in awhile. (do the other side bearings too)
Old 06-17-2006, 11:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190
Stud replacement is simple. drive the old one out, match the base for the new one and then use an extra "acorn nut" reversed so that the flat side is against the hub and tighten the nut to pull the stud into the hub. Takes all of 5 mins. An impact wrench will make it easier but not necessary and there's no need to remove the hub from the trailer.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2
i had a simalar situation only a bit worse. got a flat some where on the mojave desert in the way back from lake havasu. when taking the wheel off three studs would just spin. we took the whole assemble off and had some shady mechanic knock out the old studs..
at the time we were broke college students and couldnt afford the fix after a long week of spring break. i thought we going to have to get job in mojave to pay the mechanic...
it is a great country when broke college students are towing a ski boat to Havasu for some much needed R&R
Old 06-17-2006, 12:31 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
it is a great country when broke college students are towing a ski boat to Havasu for some much needed R&R
Heh..cogent observation. Is this a great country, or what?