Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2004, 06:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93' Prostar 190
Send a message via Yahoo to jake
Pros and cons of the various $1000 towers

Does anyone have, or know anyone with, a Big Air Pylon H20 tower?
http://www.bigairpylons.com/Tower.htm
I saw an add in Waterski mag this month for their tower. It looks pretty good (style) and only costs $895. I've been considering a Monster tower for some time, but can't get over how they look. The Big Air tower has sort of that 'swoop' look to it.

Please qualify your answers. I know I'll get the typical.."don't buy anything but a zero flex" type replies, but keep in mind that I have an older boat and don't want to spend 25% of the total value of my boat on a tower and racks. I want to add a basic tower to my 93' prostar to make wake boarding a little better and to add storrage...get the boards and skis up off the floor.

So the topic of this thread is"pros and cons of towers in the $1000 price range". Please give your experience and recommendations relating to the "economy" towers.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:07 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Jake, cool looking Tower. Looks like itís a fair price accessories are cheaper too. I havenít seen any of them on this site. Maybe someone on one of the wakeboard sights has that or knows about that tower??

Old 07-30-2004, 09:14 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
This is the 1st I have heard of this tower. Looks nice on the MasterCraft in the picture section. I wonder how stable it is. Sounds like a good deal for a sweet looking tower. But if you get that wing you may get made fun of...
Old 07-31-2004, 11:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

I kind of like the wing. You could put big chrome stacks up the sides of the tower and the boat would look like a Peterbuilt!

Kidding...that wing is kind of silly looking.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Here's a link to a thread on a wakeboarding site. It seems to be slanted pretty heavily in favor of the Monster Tower.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/179222.html?1090290193
Old 08-02-2004, 12:32 AM
_JR

Tower

Jake -

I went through the same process several months ago with my '94 ProStar, and purchasing a tower has been a wonderful thing for my boat and the way we use it. Space is at a premium in the ProStar boats, and a tower can really help in creating more space.

I have spoken with a variety of tower manufacturers and folks who have purchased towers from these manaufacturers. I have yet to find anyone who has not been happy with their decision to purchase a tower or in the quality and performance of their tower. From what I have been able to find out, most of the towers are made the same way and from the same materials, so I would not be too concerned with what "kind" of tower you are purchasing, so long as it is from a reputable company.

For me, it all came down to the stye of the tower on my boat. At the time I purchased my tower, MC did not make a tower for the older PS series boats. I looked into having a Zero Flex tower customized to fit my boat, but to be honest, the fit and finish of the Zero Flex towers pretty much sucks, IMO. Looks like the H.S. shop class was learning how to weld...

Here is a link to the tower that I chose, kinda pricey, but I am extrememly happy with it: www.samsonsports.com
Old 08-02-2004, 03:04 PM
ridg219

Jake, I purchased and installed a Monster Tower on my 93 PS205 about 10 months ago. I have been very happy with the tower. I needed a tower that folded easily, and the Monster Tower is very quick to colapse and put up. The instructions that come with the tower are very good and the customer support is great.
David
Old 08-05-2004, 10:27 PM
waterskier_md

I had a Big Air Pylon Tower on my old boat

It was a 93 PS 190. The tower worked just fine. I now have a 99 PS 190 with a ZeroFlex tower (1st generation tower..i.e. not really foldable). The main differences I have noticed is that the Big Air Pylon tower tended to rattle as I drove around. You could actually see the tower swaying around as you drove (a little bit). In terms of wakeboarding, I don't really notice that much of a difference. But I am a pretty lousy wakeboarder.
My advice is to buy the Big Air Tower or something in a similar price range that fits your boat, holds your equipment, and fits your style. You will save money and you won't notice enough of a difference to warrant the extra 1-2k on a 10 year old boat. I happened across my ZeroFlex on flipsell.com. I was able to buy and ship it for $1100 and I installed it myself. If I hadn't found that, I would have gone with one of the $1000 towers too.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Just another Monster Tower plug, I have one on my old boat and I had no complaints at all. $999 delivered to my door last year. It took 4 hours total to install: took the boat out at 1, was boarding again at 5 the same day. It doesn't move and it is strong enough to support 2 boarders at the same time. The only complaint I have seen about it is the 3" diameter. Here's a pic of my I/O with Monster Tower:
Old 08-06-2004, 10:20 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Sammy Duvall 190 - LT1
waterskier_md,

I too have a 99 PS 190 and I've been thinking about putting a ZeroFlex on her. I think I'm willing to try the DIY route and save some money, but I understand that the '99's didn't have any backing support for the towers. How easy was it for you to put your tower on and how did you go about getting the structural support.

Thanks.